IPL: Lager Miser

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Re: IPL: Lager Miser

Post by Beer-lord »

Looks great!
So, are you pleased with the water salts you added in this one?
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Cool man, glad it turned out ok. Looks delicious by the way.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Beer-lord wrote:Looks great!
So, are you pleased with the water salts you added in this one?
I think so....it's hard to tell. This is the first I've made this recipe, so I don't have a batch without the water adjustments to compare too. The real test will be the Four Point Pale in 3 or 4 weeks.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Weird...my tablet ate my reply last night. I'm sure the clarity will improve with the lagering but it's great to hear that this turned out well for you.

As it stands, I'm still drinking from my keg of this and the aroma is STILL there. It may have decreased slightly but I'm really thinking that the hopstand retains the aroma longer than just a dry hop. I'll post a pic later of my pour of this, too - just because.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Yea....it will definately clear as they sit in the fridge. It was only slightly cloudy, so I expect it to be crystal clear eventually.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Kealia wrote:As it stands, I'm still drinking from my keg of this and the aroma is STILL there. It may have decreased slightly but I'm really thinking that the hopstand retains the aroma longer than just a dry hop.
That's been my experience with my lid on hopstands for sure. Every one of those beers has stayed much more stable, both flavor and aroma, then traditional late additions + dry hop. That's why I keep doing them. Well that and the brett.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Thats good news from both of you guys. I hope it holds true for me too.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Not a great pic due to the warm air + cold beer but I think you get the picture. Still clear, carbed up well again (after many issues) and still smells yummy.

Cheers to yours, Chris.

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

And......after pulling that pint the other night I went to get one last night and the keg kicked. What I can say is that this one was great all the way until the end.

You'll be missed, my friend. Long live yours, Chris!
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I'm putting my review of BlackDucks' beer in this thread since it just makes sense to do so.

The pour looked exactly like mine did. The color was spot on to the best of my recollection. The carb was awesome, slightly higher than normal because it's a lager. One of the affects of that is a SOLID head on this beer. It looked like an ice cream cone at one point.

The aroma reminded me exactly of mine, and many other commercial beers that use the same combination. Just wonderful, really.

The problem was that it tasted like blowoff tube water.

[emoji38]
Just kidding, I actually didn't pick up anything from that "issue" and only remembered that it happened by skimming back through this thread. What I did notice is that I recall mine being a bit crisper and that the hops shone through a bit more. I was looking to see if you used Pilsner malt or switched up and used 2-row instead. I recall mine having just a hint of that grainy Pilsner taste to it that I didn't pick up in yours.
Mind you, those are not complaints nor faults - just a comparison.

I don't have any of mine left to drink to compare head to head so I'm going off memory here. So was it damn close? Yup. Am I entirely flattered that you wanted to brew this after having mine? Hell ya :redface:

I enjoyed this and hope it will make its way into your rotation again at some point. It will also be interesting to see what you think about it down the road because, as noted earlier in the thread, the flavor and aroma seemed to last forever and never fade. And it took me a while to drink this keg.

Awesome beer my friend. And tell your helper that she did great! ---> :banana:

Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Kealia wrote:The problem was that it tasted like blowoff tube water.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And that folks is why I keep paper towels next to my computer, for spit beer on my screen clean up. :lol: Well, that and other things. :whistle:

Ron, I've always enjoyed reading your beer reviews. You have a great palette and call it like you taste it. Which helps better my brewing more than you know.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
Shipwreck Saison
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Glad it passed the Recipe Makers test. I used pilsner malt, but yours may have been crisper because mine had about a 1/2 gallon of blowoff water sucked back into it. I'm sure that had to have had some sort of an effect on it. But really, if that's all that's off with it, then it's a complete success.

I've shared this beer with a couple guys at work and they loved it. It was their first experience with an IPL, and they both told me to make it again. And I'm sure I will, it will be in the rotation somehow. I really enjoy this beer....so thanks much for sharing the recipe.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Just easier to post pictures this way. I'll follow up with how it is shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
Shipwreck Saison
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

*bump*.

This is for my own use so I remember to brew this again soon. A good long lager on this beer made it great.
Looking back at the recipe now it's very similar to the Simply Simarillo. What I really like about this one is that it is a quick brew day due to use of the extract.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I never updated this thread (slaps own hand)....

I brewed this again in late November and switched out the hops to Amarillo and Mandarina Bavaria. I was excited to taste the difference but this beer finished at 1.020 using More Beer Pilsner LME and wouldn't ferment any more. (This is partially why I started a thread about under-attenuating issues).

In any case, I had a pint the other night and my initial impression is that it is too sweet and not 'crisp' enough. It also feels a bit "thick" on the mouthfeel but that could be my own pre-conceived notions rearing their heads. And I was coming down with a cold on the evening I tried this so I can't trust my taste buds from that night.

The good news is that the last time I brewed (the original version of) this, it was good for months. So I have time to let it condition and to clear my head of this cold so I can do a proper taste. But, I'm not overly excited to come back to it at this point. Hopefully, it's better on the next pull in a few days. If not, I may try to keg-hop to offset the sweetness before I *gasp* dump it.

It's not sickly sweet mind you, but not what I wanted and sometimes in my own beers I get hung on what it was INTENDED to be instead of what it is. Actually, I likely have buddies that would take growlers so I don;t have to dump it. But then again, Ninkasi may be thirsty....we'll see.