What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by mashani »

What's the purpose of toasting and steaming the oats? I've used oats before, but I've just used them raw.
Was trying to turn the oats into something more like "Golden Naked Oats". Sort of like a nutty crystal malt. In my case the nutty worked for sure, not so sure about the crystal malt bit though.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

I brewed another one of those Beer. Simply Beer recipes from Midwest Supplies. This is the Brown Ale.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I bottled the hopped "Session Braggot". It went to 1.011 and then just stopped. That is actually lower than I expected, since I mashed the pils at 158, even though it was 40% honey. I just bottled from under the krausen, because it wasn't going to go anywhere it seemed, it just turned into a 1" rocky layer that wouldn't drop. It didn't even drop as I bottled, it just stayed on top as the beer drained out of the fermenter - none of it even tried to sink as I was going.

Based on how it behaved and how it tastes, I'm fairly certain this yeast is a dry version of Wyeast London Ale III (Boddingtons yeast). Massive true top cropping type krausen, fruity esters.

So, I like that, that gives me a good choice for some English beers too.

This still has a quite present honey vibe to it, even though I caramelized half of the honey by boiling it for an hour, that didn't seem to cause any issues with the honey aroma. I did get some nuttiness from the toasted oats. It's going to be quite good, I think, for something done totally seat of the pants with stuff I had laying around.

I decided to lightly carb it since it does have a bit of residual sweetness that the carb will help balance out, and it should also really make that aroma pop. We are talking, honey, pears, apple, and flowers.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I got busy. A fermenter sat for a while.

I kegged it today and checked my spreadsheet. It was in the fermenter for 307 days!

Now that I'm retired, I don't think that's going to happen again.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

307 days would be perfect if it was a Bugfest sour / Flemish Red/Brown or such!
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Nothing as interesting as any of those. Just an ale. But I tasted the hydrometer sample and it tasted good, so I think I'm ok.

I've got one in the fermenter (random wundergrains brew) and will probably start another in the next few days (also a wundergrains brew).

I think I have 10 more lbs of wundergrains. After that, it'll be back to predictability.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I brewed a 6 gallon batch of export strength (6ish percent) Scotch Ale.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I'm doing another overnight mash with 10 lbs wundergrains and 5 lbs victory. Not sure about the hops yet.

It looks pretty dark again, so maybe it'll be a black ipa or a stout. My basement is cool enough that there yeast is going to be Nottingham. So maybe a black ipa.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

OG 1.060.

I used nugget for bittering but didn't write down what I used for flavor and aroma.

It'll be beer.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

bpgreen wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:27 am OG 1.060.

I used nugget for bittering but didn't write down what I used for flavor and aroma.

It'll be beer.
I found the package. Callista.

I've got another wundergrains batch mashing now (another overnight mash). It's looking pretty dark.

The nugget hops came in a 5 lb (!) bag (not sure what I was thinking, but it was probably a deal), so they're going to be my bittering hop for a while.

I was going to use lemon drop for flavor and aroma, but I may go with nugget for all three.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

You may want to brew a Nugget Nectar clone. That will use up ~6oz of them, I think.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

mashani wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:11 pm You may want to brew a Nugget Nectar clone. That will use up ~6oz of them, I think.
I actually used 6 oz (2@60, 20, 7). Beersmith says the IBUs will be really high, but I used the apo on my phone and didn't adjust for elevation, so they probably won't be as high as Beersmith says they will be.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

The last batch had an OG of 1.050 with 16 lb of grain. I'm not sure how that happened, but it'll be beer.

I thought I used the last of the wundergrains, but I found another 10 lb bag. So one more mystery brew before I go boring again.

I've signed up to be notified if these become available again. Nothing like a random brew that's a lot cheaper than a less random brew.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Today I brewed a family favorite, the Bastard Stepson Root Beer from Northern Brewer/Midwest Supplies. This is a 5G Extract recipe. We like it by itself but it's even better when you pair it with some chocolate chip ice cream, creating a root beer float.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Not technically brewing, but fermenting.

This past weekend I went into Salt Lake City to get together with my daughter. And found ther Japanese market that I found one other time. My daughter bought a bunch of stuff. I bought some natto. I've currently got one serving mixed with a bunch of soybeans sitting in the dehydrator.

If you've never had natto, it smells really bad. And the texture is disgustingly slimy. But it tastes good, and is good for you, so I'll give it a shot.