What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by mashani »

So I bottled that German IPA SMASH beer, and I'm now brewing a cream ale, which is something I've not done in a long time. Although I may use lager yeast. So maybe not actually an ale. Whatever.
Ricklust
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Ricklust »

. Well it’s been awhile since I’ve visited the Forum. Life throws some curve balls at ya sometimes. Finally got back into the brewing. I’ve found myself partial to brewing some Dortmunder Export recipes recently.
Now I have a popular recipe of the Sierra Nevada Pale ale fermenting. Finally got into kegging about 8 months ago and things are going smoothly. Just wanted to give shout out to my fellow Brewers.
Cheers…Again !
Slainté ☘️
Ricklust
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Ricklust »

@ Mash
I’ve been using the LalBrew Diamond Yeast for Lagers and the Saflager 34/70 with good results.
Cheers
Slainté ☘️
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Ricklust wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:10 am @ Mash
I’ve been using the LalBrew Diamond Yeast for Lagers and the Saflager 34/70 with good results.
Cheers
Have you tried the Cellar Science German dry Lager? it's a lot like 34/70 but cheaper, I used it on a Helles and liked it.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Ricklust
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Ricklust »

berryman wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:08 pm
Ricklust wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:10 am @ Mash
Cheers
Have you tried the Cellar Science German dry Lager? it's a lot like 34/70 but cheaper, I used it on a Helles and liked it.
will have to look at that.
I have another question…If you have a few 1/2 lbs of leftover base grains/malts like Marris Otter, 2 row, German Pilsner, etc…can you combine them together in a recipe to brew?
Slainté ☘️
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Today I brewed a beer that I've always wanted to do, but hadn't for many reasons. This is a Peanut Butter Cup Stout, it's an imperial stout recipe from Midwest Supplies. The steeping grains bag on this was huge, just under 5lbs of assorted grains, along with the liquid malt and dry malt extract ought to make for a very good beer, and a higher ABV % too. I'm not sure the reasoning behind making this such a high alcohol content as it seems a normal ABV stout would have been fine. Anyhow here's to an excellent tasting beer. Yes, I like the Reeses Peanut Butter Cups candy quite a bit.
Last edited by TonyKZ1 on Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
Ricklust
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Ricklust »

TonyKZ1 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:34 pm Today I brewed a beer that I've always wanted to do, but didn't due for many reasons. This is a Peanut Butter Cup Stout, it's an imperial stout recipe from Midwest Supplies. The steeping grains bag on this was huge, just under 5lbs of assorted grains, along with the liquid malt and dry malt extract ought to make for a very good beer, and a higher ABV % too. I'm not sure the reasoning behind making this such a high alcohol content as it seems a normal ABV stout would have been fine. Anyhow here's to an excellent tasting beer. Yes, I like the Reeses Peanut Butter Cups candy quite a bit.
How many Gallons is this Batch ? That’s a lotta steeping Grains….
Let us know how it turns out. I dig Peanut Butter Cups too.
Cheers
Slainté ☘️
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Ricklust wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:36 pm I have another question…If you have a few 1/2 lbs of leftover base grains/malts like Marris Otter, 2 row, German Pilsner, etc…can you combine them together in a recipe to brew?
I would say yes. I think Mash and bpgreen do a mixed batch of unknown grains and call them wonder brew, atleast you would have a better idea on what you got in there, we used to call them Frankenbeers, a little of this and that left overs and see what you get.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
Ricklust
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Ricklust »

berryman wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:15 pm
Ricklust wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:36 pm I have another question…If you have a few 1/2 lbs of leftover base grains/malts like Marris Otter, 2 row, German Pilsner, etc…can you combine them together in a recipe to brew?
I would say yes. I think Mash and bpgreen do a mixed batch of unknown grains and call them wonder brew, atleast you would have a better idea on what you got in there, we used to call them Frankenbeers, a little of this and that left overs and see what you get.
Thanx…
Well I will bring Franken-Beer back to life again…. 🌿🧟
Slainté ☘️
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

berryman wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:08 pm Have you tried the Cellar Science German dry Lager? it's a lot like 34/70 but cheaper, I used it on a Helles and liked it.
I actually have 4 packs of that but haven't used it yet.

I had a pack of"Berlin" sitting around that was going to expire sooner, and since there are commercial yeast cream ale blends that combine lager and ale yeasts, I decided to pitch that to give it a head start, but since I didn't feel like it was "enough" of a pitch rate on its own the next morning I tossed in some 05, making my own blend as such. "Berlin" is like S23 I think.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Ricklust wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:53 pm
TonyKZ1 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:34 pm Today I brewed a beer that I've always wanted to do, but didn't due for many reasons. This is a Peanut Butter Cup Stout, it's an imperial stout recipe from Midwest Supplies. The steeping grains bag on this was huge, just under 5lbs of assorted grains, along with the liquid malt and dry malt extract ought to make for a very good beer, and a higher ABV % too. I'm not sure the reasoning behind making this such a high alcohol content as it seems a normal ABV stout would have been fine. Anyhow here's to an excellent tasting beer. Yes, I like the Reeses Peanut Butter Cups candy quite a bit.
How many Gallons is this Batch ? That’s a lotta steeping Grains….
Let us know how it turns out. I dig Peanut Butter Cups too.
Cheers
Yeah, somehow I forgot to put in that this is a 5G Extract w/steeping grains recipe. Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to trying this one out. Afterwards I shared the grains with the Chickens and the wild birds, they liked it too.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I bottled that cream ale, which tasted lush. It will be yummy.

So then I went and brewed 6 gallons of no boil no chill frankenlager / IPL from hell. Or something like that. Mashed at 147, held at 147 for about 4 hours. Leftover grains from dopplebock and scotch ale and 8oz of 20L, and a shit ton of mosiac and citra steeped in it over those 4 hours (so like a long whirlpool) and left in overnight. Will use some of the Cellar Science German lager yeast. It will be.... something.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

So today I finally got around to brewing the recipe that my oldest daughter had got me for Christmas. This is a 5G of Danube Driftin' Vienna Lager, it's a 5G Extract w/steeping grains recipe from Northern Brewer. The water I used in brewing this recipe was from a local artesian well, that is always overflowing with great tasting water.

I'll be fermenting it @ ale temps rather than the lager temps that the recipe calls for, luckily with it being winter time and the bedroom that I have my beer stuff in being in the far part of the house from the furnace, it'll stay a little cooler there.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I recently brewed a Moose Drool (brown ale) clone, and yesterday I knocked out a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone.
Both were kits from MoreBeer that I got as Xmas gifts.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Kealia wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:41 pm I recently brewed a Moose Drool (brown ale) clone, and yesterday I knocked out a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone.
Both were kits from MoreBeer that I got as Xmas gifts.
I like doing Morebeer kits, they almost always come out good. I did the SN clone last year and I liked it. Have looked at the Moose Drool and keep thinking I should try it.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison