What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: What are you brewing/bottling?

Post by mashani »

mashani wrote:I'm doing a PM of 1# 2-row, 1# white wheat, 1# Simpsons golden naked oats, and 8oz carapils, which I'm going to boil/chill/split into 2 containers, stick one in the fridge and one in the freezer. Will use along with some extract to make a couple of 2.5 gallon NE IPAs.
So I took half of that, added 6oz dextrose, and 3# MoreBeer Extra Light LME, brought it to a boil for 10 minutes.

Threw in 1oz Mosiac and 1oz Citra @flameout, put a lid on the pot, letting it stand for 45 minutes before I start to actively cool.

Traditional bittering addition or flavor addition? Hah! (don't need one, I know from experience that I will get plenty of bitter and flavor and a good bit of aroma from the @flameout hopstand).

I'm going to add 1/2oz of each hop @day 2, 1/2oz of each hop @day 4, and another 1/2oz of each hop at day 7. I pretty much have to follow that schedule, as by day 5 it will be done actively fermenting. I discovered that the Lallemand London ESB works really quickly. My Special Bitter has been done for a while now I just haven't gotten around to bottling it.

Maybe I will use some of the South African hops in the second batch when I get to it.

EDIT: OG was 1.067.

5oz of commando hops in my LBC is going to totally bury my spigot, so this will for sure be an auto-siphon bottling day. It better be worth it. :blink:
Last edited by mashani on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Nice.....

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Bottled a Bailey's Brown, a 5G Extract w/steeping grains American Brown Ale recipe from the BeerTools Recipe Library. I put this one in all 12oz. bottles, compared to the way I've been doing it with 12 12oz and the rest 1 liter PET bottles, filling and capping all 48 of those 12oz. bottles didn't seem to take very long at all. Putting labels on them though, seemed like it took forever. :cheers:
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

mashani wrote:I brewed 3 gallons of special bitter with some C120, C75, a pinch of pale chocolate, and Lallemand London ESB to try it out. It apparently doesn't fermenter maltotriose, so I substituted 8oz of sugar for some of the extract I used. If you mash, they recommend you mash < 152 unless you are planning on using sugar (and it is totally normal to use sugar in real British beer anyways, I just used a bit more then normal). I used perle and goldings as my hops. Based on my research this will still be end up full bodied.
If you are interested in trying Lallemand London ESB one day, especially if you wonder if it is like 1068, I suggest you read this:

I bottled this, I only got 70% attenuation even with the sugar and that is with me also ramping up the temps to 70 after krausen fell for it to finish, but I was expecting it to be low like that. Even so it did not seem sweet. But it is very much full bodied. It somewhat mineraly and has some esters more like what a "London Ale" or "Burton Ale" strain would have. This yeast doesn't seem to understand the term "flocculation" very much. It was very powdery and mostly still in suspension. There was only a thin layer of trub on the bottom of the fermenter. That maybe bodes well for the NE IPA I made with it.

It is most certainly not the equivalent of 1068 (London ESB strain), it is nothing at all like 1068. It seems to be to be much more similarly related to a London Ale strain or maybe a Burton style strain, but I honestly have no idea what yeast it is as it's not quite like any of them that I've used.

That said, it is for sure the most authentically "British" tasting dry yeast I've ever used. IE if you like the characteristics of something like Wychwoods beers, it is kinda like that. To me personally that is a good thing. If you like to ferment Wyeast 1068 cool as an option instead of an American strain, this isn't going to be your thing though. This has a good bit of character, more then 1068 would have had, and it doesn't flock out hard like 1068 would.

I fermented mostly around 66, just raised it at the end to finish.

If I don't want to deal with liquid yeast, I will likely use this a lot when I'm making bitters or milds, or authentic British IPAs or Burton Ales with a crap load of EKG. It's just the ticket for those.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Gonna brew a batch of Fedorus Magnus Kolsch tomorrow.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

mashani wrote:I'm doing a PM of 1# 2-row, 1# white wheat, 1# Simpsons golden naked oats, and 8oz carapils, which I'm going to boil/chill/split into 2 containers, stick one in the fridge and one in the freezer. Will use along with some extract to make a couple of 2.5 gallon NE IPAs.
So for version 2, but I did it for 3 gallons, as my Equinox is quite potent (18% AA, and an insane amount of other flavor/aroma oils too, the oils actually stain my fermenter yellow when I use a lot).

I took the other half of that mash above, added 8oz dextrose, and 3.5# MoreBeer Extra Light LME, brought it to a boil for 10 minutes.

Threw in 1oz Mosiac and 1oz Equinox @flameout, put a lid on the pot, let it stand for 45 minutes before I start to actively cool. Again, no actual "bittering" addition, just the AAUs extracted from the 20 or so minutes it stays hot enough. With the hops I'm using that still is 70 IBUs or there about. It's more then enough.

I'm going to add 1/2oz of each hop @day 2, 1/2oz of each hop @day 4, and another 1/2oz of each hop at day 7. Same as last batch. Except Equinox instead of Citra.

OG was 1.066.

The last batch where I just used Equinox as flameout/dry hop, I like the flavor/aroma of the Equinox quite much, so I think it will work well here, and it was itching to be used up.

Again using Lallemand London ESB.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Brewed 5 gallons of Frutti's Beer, Keep Your Paws Off, my Fruit Wheat base. Second of three that I will be brewing to get ready for summer.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Kegging 10 gallons of my Maris Otter/Mosaic SMaSH IPA. It is basically the same recipe as the Pale Ale version I brewed last month, but with more Mosaic hop bittering.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

I brewed a Mangrove Jack's London Bitter, a HME w/ 1kg (2.2lbs) of dextrose 23L/6G craft series recipe, a group of 3 MGJ recipes that I got from AIH's sale. This also used the Mangrove Jack's Craft Series M79 Burton Union dry yeast. I'm not too sure about using the supplied dextrose instead of 1.2kg(2.6lbs) LME or 1kg(2.2lbs) DME or more of the malt extract, but thought I'd try it the recipe before modifying it.
Last edited by TonyKZ1 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Just brewed Stone Levitation Amber Ale. Plan to use some of the yeast slurry from it in two weeks to pitch into a Subliminally Self Righteous (Black IPA) clone and use some slurry from that for my Big Fuzzy RIS.
See y'all next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Well...... meant to attach this.

Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
Shipwreck Saison
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I brewed a Pale Ale today. It was supposed to have Galaxy and ElDorado, but when I went to the store for the ingredients Friday, they had neither. So I adjusted on the fly and used Delta and Mandarina Bavaria. So who knows what this is gonna taste like.

ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

22 bottles of what what I'm now calling 3 Year Beer.
It's a blend of two different Sour beers. The first was brewed 11-14 the other 10-15. One was Oaked the other was put on figs and cherries. I bottled some of each separately then blended the two and finished with blueberries.
My non beer drinking wife stole my hydrometer sample so I'm calling it a success.

Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
Shipwreck Saison
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Hey, I saw that in your shower!
(Words I never thought I would utter)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Kealia wrote:Hey, I saw that in your shower!
(Words I never thought I would utter)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Why yes, yes you did. Next time your in town you can use said shower and enjoy said beer. :clink:
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
Shipwreck Saison