What are you drinking?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by Kealia »

bpgreen wrote:I was at a family reunion of sorts. We have a large family (I have 7 siblings). I've lost track of how many adults are in the next generation.

One of my nieces came up to me yesterday and told me that there was a 4 pack in the food refrigerator, and one of them was mine.

I'm not sure why I made the cut, whether I'm a favorite uncle, or because she knows I brew or because I walked in the door at the right time.

Frankly, I don't care. I got a Lagunitas "The Waldos' Special Ale"

It's a triple IPA. 11.7% ABV.

I've had heady topper before, but this is a first.

Thanks, Maddy.

I'll never get a limited release beer in Utah due to the way they relate beer here.
Brian, what did you think of Waldo?
When fresh, it has crazy pineapple aroma and goes down surprisingly smooth for a triple IPA.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Kealia wrote:
bpgreen wrote:I was at a family reunion of sorts. We have a large family (I have 7 siblings). I've lost track of how many adults are in the next generation.

One of my nieces came up to me yesterday and told me that there was a 4 pack in the food refrigerator, and one of them was mine.

I'm not sure why I made the cut, whether I'm a favorite uncle, or because she knows I brew or because I walked in the door at the right time.

Frankly, I don't care. I got a Lagunitas "The Waldos' Special Ale"

It's a triple IPA. 11.7% ABV.

I've had heady topper before, but this is a first.

Thanks, Maddy.

I'll never get a limited release beer in Utah due to the way they relate beer here.
Brian, what did you think of Waldo?
When fresh, it has crazy pineapple aroma and goes down surprisingly smooth for a triple IPA.

I liked it, but what's not to like about a triple ipa with citra and mosaic?

It did go down smooth, but I could definitely detect the alcohol (at least at first)
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

All good things come to an end, last pour on my FJB citrus IPA. It was a good one while it lasted. That sound you hear when you kill a keg is scary and hit the foam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

First pour on the winter warmer, good taste but still a little young yet. About another week will be right on.

Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Much better already funny what just a few more days can do. Winter warmer/holiday spiced ale.

Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Crappy pic, but it's the IPA I made from the Wundergrains. It's very red. It is quite possible there was a bunch of RedX in the grain bill since AIH sells it. In any case it is delicious and it laces the glass nicely. EDIT: Oh that florescent green thing in the background is my bike on a trainer, and it really is that crazy colored. If someone hits me with their car, they can't say they didn't see me.
IMG_1839.JPG
IMG_1839.JPG (63.84 KiB) Viewed 26371 times
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Last night, I enjoyed this... thoroughly! ImageImageImage

mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

This is the smoked beer made with the Wundergrains. It is actually quite nice. It's not as good as if I had made an intentional Gratzer, but it's not the fault of the grain bill actually, it's just that I didn't use Polish Lubiski hops which add a lovely magnolia note that this is missing. But the smoke isn't overpowering, it's only the 1st sip that it hits you, like the first drag on a cigar if you haven't had one in a while. So 2 good beers with the Wundergrains so far, one in the bottle that I think will also be good, one still in the fermenter, and one bag left.
IMG_1851.JPG
IMG_1851.JPG (62.21 KiB) Viewed 26276 times
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

This gets better every time I wait a week or so. Holiday, I love the base and the yeast. Will do next year but a month
Or 2 earlier. Maybe hit it with a little more abv. And a little more hot alcohol. 1.077 -1.018 the spices are great now on this.

Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Drinking the "ESB of Mystery" I made with the Wundergrains. It's actually awesome. Not just good... awesome. And I will never be able to make it again LOL.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

mashani wrote:Drinking the "ESB of Mystery" I made with the Wundergrains. It's actually awesome. Not just good... awesome. And I will never be able to make it again LOL.
Don't you just hate that? It's a shame we don't have one of the Star Trek food replicators that could make the same thing exactly like you want it. You should start to work on creating one of those replicators. I bet you could make a few bucks! :idea:
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Yahoo Embrace the Funk member beer. Hoppy saison. Quite good, if a bit undercarbed. Cheers all...Image

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I busted open a tester bottles of the "Wunderbock" that I carbed for 2 weeks and "lagered" for 1 week in the fridge after.

It is another beer that I can never make again, and it's also going to be really nice. It's good now. It's only going to get better as other bottles "lager" for a longer time.

I don't think I'd recommend "Wundergrains" to a newb or someone who only likes very specific styles of beer, but if you like and have brewed lots of styles and enjoy watching Chopped or Iron Chef, then a bag of this and some base malt might be fun for you, it was fun for me and I have not made a beer I didn't like with it.

Oh and Mangrove Jack M76 makes good lagers based on this. I would recommend it as a good inexpensive choice.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Last night was a pint of mu Sultana/Citra IPA.

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Yesterday was a 10oz pour of Pliny The Younger (it's San Francisco Beer Week), followed by another TIPA when I got home.

Yeah, I slept good last night [emoji3]ImageImage