Conical?

Take a minute to introduce yourself to the Borg and tell us what's brewing. You can ask questions here too!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Matth

Conical?

Post by Matth »

Some have mentioned a desire for a trub valve at the bottom of the lbc. Why? Help me understand. What would be the benefit?
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Conical?

Post by RickBeer »

You could then pull the trub out without disturbing the beer. Some don't want the brew sitting on the yeast cake.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

RickBeer wrote:You could then pull the trub out without disturbing the beer. Some don't want the brew sitting on the yeast cake.
If I had more time and money, I'd have a 15gal conical or two.
SnakefetusBrewing

Post by SnakefetusBrewing »

I've been interested in the BrewDemon Conical fermenter, but getting one to Canada is proving harder than my wallet can handle.
Beer is Good. Beers Are Better
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I know that Beldar really wants one.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

I take it Brew Deamon doesn't ship to Canada?
What kind of "shipping" problems are you having?
Maybe it may be possible to open a half way shipping house. But that's something that would really have to be looked into.
The Nong Brewery defines "Fermentation" as: Making "Rot" a Good Thing

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

Tabasco wrote:
RickBeer wrote:You could then pull the trub out without disturbing the beer. Some don't want the brew sitting on the yeast cake.
If I had more time and money, I'd have a 15gal conical or two.
+1 to that. Sounds like you been reading my mind.
SnakefetusBrewing

Post by SnakefetusBrewing »

Yankeedag wrote:I take it Brew Deamon doesn't ship to Canada?
What kind of "shipping" problems are you having?
Maybe it may be possible to open a half way shipping house. But that's something that would really have to be looked into.
It's not that they don't ship to Canada, it's just the same issue I had with ordering anything from the Mr.Beer website, the cost to ship across the border basically equals that of the product I'm ordering if not more. So I just haven't been able to afford it lately. Things have been tight
Beer is Good. Beers Are Better
Matth

Post by Matth »

Back to the question of the bottom valve.....guessing that's how the big boys with the large stainless steel conicals do it. Funny (to me anyway) this was never a question with a LBK, brew bucket, or a carboy. Would you need more than one valve then? If you let the trub go, would you later bottle from the bottom? I'm gonna get a conical because it looks to eliminate the need to tilt the LBK to get every last drop.
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

I'm not sure why they would need to add an additional spigot to drain the trub, as it stays below the dispensing spigot in the first place.
On my S/S conical (7.5 gal), I do need to drain a little trub out as, often, there is trub above the dispensing spigot. It is nice for collecting the trub for washing.
If BD comes out with a larger conical, I could fully understand the need for a a lower "trub" release valve. But as the one they have out now is not a large one, I'm not really seeing why they would go through the added expense and possible malfuntions of adding a lower spigot.

Just my two...wait they don't have that...$0.05AUD on the subject.

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

I'm with you on this one, Dag. I've never used a conical, but it seems if the trub stays below the spigot, there's no problem at all. Unless folks are thinking about cleaning it, but like you say, as long as it's small and light, heck, just turn it upside down and pour it out. Sure, it would be sweet to have a little "dump valve" at the bottom for yeast harvesting purposes, but it's not a real problem, more like a luxury. But then, like I say, I'm just speculating here. BTW, I've been trying to find the larger conical at BD, but can only find the smaller one. Anybody find the larger one?
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

Well the thing is Joe, once you get all the beer out, it's simple to just undo the spigot (which you have to do anyway to clean) and just tip the yeast out if you want to. you can drain it to wash, or fill your sink, or fertilize your yard.