Fedora Dave - Chocolate Malt

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Fedora Dave - Chocolate Malt

Post by Tabasco »

Hey, Dave ... I don't know if you've posted anything about chocolate malt lately. I know you were experiencing gushers.

I discoverd Pale Chocolate Malt a few months ago. It's more subtle than chocolate malt, and makes a nice stout, or a little "not-in-your-face" flavor to a brown.

I mostly keg now. If I get a "gusher" experience with the first tap ... I let pressure out down to about 4 psi, and wait a bit ... it settles down nice. Then, if I want to bring it back up to 8 psi or so for better flow, I do it with no adverse effects.

I never leave the tank hooked up to the keg, or leave the main valve open. I just hook it up to keg quick when I want to give it a boost, and quick disconnect and close ... don't leave tank in fridge with keg. I've gone through 26 5gal kegs so far, and my original small Co2 tank isn't in the "refill soon" zone yet. I natural carb them ... prime with sugar, and let them sit like a big bottle. 2-2-2 is still my thing. Great beer.

Anyway, the pale chocolate part was for you, in case you haven't tried it.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Re: Fedora Dave - Chocolate Malt

Post by FedoraDave »

Thanks, Tom. I'll keep it in mind next time a recipe calls for chocolate malt. I think I've discovered the source of the gushers, though, so that problem may be taken care of. Rather than the malt, I think it's an LBK that probably developed microscopic scratches in it, and is harboring some nasties. Time will tell, but that's my current theory.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Old Smokey Amber Ale -- 100 Years War IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- South Ferry Steam Beer
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Fedora Dave - Chocolate Malt

Post by Tabasco »

FedoraDave wrote: I think it's an LBK that probably developed microscopic scratches in it, and is harboring some nasties. Time will tell, but that's my current theory.
Could be ....... So far, my gushers have always been chocolate or wheat grain, though. But you're right, there could be a tiny bunch of bad boys hiding in a crevice ..............