Labeling bottles

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

D34THSPAWN
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Labeling bottles

Post by D34THSPAWN »

So I stumbled across this product when I was looking for reusable options for beer labeling. Anyone see these before?

http://beerclings.com/

It looks like they offer custom labels as well.

Also they sell a pen that washes off but does not rub off on your hands when you are holding the bottle. It looks like they are pretty good. Might try them out once the pipeline is going enough to warrant the purchase.

Got some good reviews too it looks like

http://www.beerclings.com/index.php?rou ... ation_id=9

Also heard of using chalkboard paint on the bottles as well.

What are your labeling solutions?
Deadhouse Brewing Pipeline
Drinking: Northern Brewer Nut Brown, Pale Rider, Charon's oar Conditioning: Charon's OarFermenting: Single Obol Stout Next Up: Persephone's Tears Blackberry Wheat
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Re: Labeling bottles

Post by FedoraDave »

I use www.beerlabelizer.com. I've used two or three of their different templates, and I'm quite pleased with them. I print out a sheet and then take them to Office Depot to get enough laser printed copies for my batch (inkjet will run when wet). I have to cut them out, but I actually enjoy that part of it. It's all a labor of love.

The labels can be adhered to glass bottles by brushing the backs of the labels with milk (yes, it seems strange, but it works; don't ask me why). And they come off just by running some water over them. No glue residue.

While I can't reuse these labels, I like being able to include the ABV and the bottling date on them.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Old Smokey Amber Ale -- 100 Years War IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- South Ferry Steam Beer
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

I use labels by laserinkjetlabels.com. I use the polygloss, which are completely waterproof even with an inkjet printer. They have pdf templates that allow you to lay out your design on 8.5x11 sheets. Here is a youtube link explaining it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZTIaSPj ... e=youtu.be
I like them a lot.
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I got some printed vinyl labels with a picture of my boat and "brewery" name. It's great if I go to a party or homebrew meeting. But I have too many bottles to label all that way, so I bought a Brother P-touch labelmaker for $20. I run off a string of labels for each batch with a date, contents, abv.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

Ibasterd wrote:I use labels by laserinkjetlabels.com. I use the polygloss, which are completely waterproof even with an inkjet printer. They have pdf templates that allow you to lay out your design on 8.5x11 sheets. Here is a youtube link explaining it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZTIaSPj ... e=youtu.be
I like them a lot.
I requested a free sample of these, tried them out, and liked them a lot, too. So I ordered some more.
The print quality, from an inkjet, is fantastic.
The waterproof nature of them is unbelievable.
My only gripe is that they are among the most difficult labels I have ever encountered when it comes to getting them off the bottle after use.
On a related topic, Santa is going to be bringing one of these label removers for my stocking -- http://www.labelnator.com/ -- I will report back on how that works out, in a few weeks.

BTW - while I use the same label stock as Ibasterd, I only wish that I had the same skill and creativity, when it comes to label design!!
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

Crazy Climber wrote:My only gripe is that they are among the most difficult labels I have ever encountered when it comes to getting them off the bottle after use.
They CAN be a little tricky to get off. I usually fill the bottles with piping hot water and let them sit five minutes and then peel them off under more hot running water and they come off pretty easily for me.

Thanks for the compliment Crazy Climber.
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

Today I tried a new product from laserinkjetlables.com. I used the craft paper labels to get a different look. They will not be water proof like the polygloss, so I will have to drink them quick!
Attachments
#5.jpg
#5.jpg (209.08 KiB) Viewed 597 times
lindseywinstead
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by lindseywinstead »

I design a label for every brew, but rarely print them. The label is part of the fun for me. I am giving a few bottles away this holiday season. I had their labels printed on glossy paper at a commercial printing place (the local FedEx Copy, Print, & Ship). They turned out rather well. There were some colour issues (everything printed darker than they appeared on my laptop screen), but perfectly acceptable for the task at hand. And hopefully the glossy paper will hold up to refrigeration/condensation. The trimming and gluing was a bit time consuming, but as they are gifts, perhaps the extra love and attention will make up for any imperfections in my recipes!
2thedogs Brewery
Maybe, just once, someone will call me, "Sir," without adding, "You're making a scene." - Homer Jay SimpsonImage
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I'm sure they will judge your beer better than you do Lin. I see the imperfections in all my work. And the labels are a nice touch. Maybe 10% of my bottles are labelled, but I make sure that when I bring some to an event, at least one has a label.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

FedoraDave wrote:I use http://www.beerlabelizer.com. I've used two or three of their different templates, and I'm quite pleased with them. I print out a sheet and then take them to Office Depot to get enough laser printed copies for my batch (inkjet will run when wet). I have to cut them out, but I actually enjoy that part of it. It's all a labor of love.
This is pretty much how I do labels also, I have found a spray on glue that I use and it cleans off good after words. I very seldom label bottles anymore, only when I give beers away and at that only on the main recipies I brew often. Most of the time they (the beers) just don't last long enough to bother labeling.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

I labeled bottles for the first time recently ... after over 300 batches ... I made an LBK size AB batch of "Poppy's Ultra Light" for my Dad for Christmas ... it will be carbed and conditioned by Christmas.

I don't know ... a gift like that ... labeling seems needed. I just did one on labelizer, and printed out on regular paper on my b&w laserjet ... cut them out and put some gluestick on the back.
Root Skier
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Root Skier »

I'm also using http://www.beerlabelizer.com/ to make my labels. SWMBO just started a new job with Brother specifically to work on their new Scan N Cut product. It's a image scanner with a built in cutting head. It's perfect for my needs. I print 9 images on one sheet of normal paper on our color laser printer and use milk to keep them on the bottles.

Roots Brewing
Drinking
3. MB Wild Wheat ~6.5%
4. MB Girls & Boysenberries ~7%
5. MB El Diablo Blanco 8.1% 'Hop Jump' 
8. Wheat Pale Ale (1st 5g brew, 7.5%)
9. Hard Apple Cider (12.1%)
Conditioning
11. Winter Ale (1.070 OG)
Fermenting
Mr. Frankenale
Secondary
(empty)
 Planning
12. Blackberry Wheat

Follow Root's Brewing on Untapp'd.
https://untappd.com/RootsBrewing
jpsherman
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jpsherman »

I was using food safety labels from work that dissolve in water, problem is that they slowly absorb moisture so the final 1/4 of the roll doesn't adhere very well to the bottle.

I switched to writing on painters tape. Ain't purty, but it comes off clean and does the job.
Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain.
Quaintest thoughts — queerest fancies,
Come to life and fade away:
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today.

– Edgar Allan Poe
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink--Oscar Wilde
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Giggle Squid Brewery
Fermenting:
Barleywine 2016

Conditioning:
Barleywine 8-27-2014 (only drinking on special occasions)

Drinking:
Apple Wine 2.0
Apple Wine 2.1
Jalapeno Ale
Dark Vanner
Dark and Hoppy Night
Liquid Gold
Mad Max
Dundee Ale
Magnum PA

lindseywinstead
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by lindseywinstead »

jpsherman wrote:I switched to writing on painters tape. Ain't purty, but it comes off clean and does the job.
Great idea! I use blue painters tape to label most everything in my kitchen: stuff going into the freezer, various concoctions and creations in the refrigerator, etc. But I never put two and two together and thought about using it to label the brews! Duh! :idea:
2thedogs Brewery
Maybe, just once, someone will call me, "Sir," without adding, "You're making a scene." - Homer Jay SimpsonImage
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

lindseywinstead wrote:
jpsherman wrote:I switched to writing on painters tape. Ain't purty, but it comes off clean and does the job.
Great idea! I use blue painters tape to label most everything in my kitchen: stuff going into the freezer, various concoctions and creations in the refrigerator, etc. But I never put two and two together and thought about using it to label the brews! Duh! :idea:
Yeah, I never thought of running painters tape through my printer as well... wonder how that'll work out... :jumpy:
The Nong Brewery defines "Fermentation" as: Making "Rot" a Good Thing

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.