An informational message for the 1st timers

Take a minute to introduce yourself to the Borg and tell us what's brewing. You can ask questions here too!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: An informational message for the 1st timers

Post by John Sand »

Welcome aboard DJ!
This is a friendly group always interested in helping and learning. Keep us posted on your adventures.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Hi DJ, glad you've found us. Looking forward to hearing about your upcoming brews.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

deskjockey wrote:Good evening! I am a new brewer with my first batch conditioning in the fridge. My wife bought me a BrewDemon kit with Witbier ingredients. While waiting for that to be ready to drink, I got their Wicked Irish Stout and Black Bishop Doppelbock kits to try next. Looking forward to learning more as I go along!
Hey deskjockey, it's hella fun to know you can make beer. Good luck with yours.
clockwork

Post by clockwork »

Good morning,

I am new to this forum and very new to home brewing.
My first brew was a gift. It was Sharper Image "Pale Ale" one gallon all grain brew.
I was just "drinkable". I wrote that off to being new and that Sharper Image is not known for its brew kits (they also sell RC cars and vibrators).
So I bought a Mr. Beer 2 brew kit and have fermented my first batch "American Light" and am conditioning it in the bottles.(ready in 2 more weeks)
Right now I have their "Oktoberfest" in the ferment keg.
Been drinking a lot of Grolsch to get the bottles. It costs just as much for the full bottles as the empties. It is a no brainer.
Bought the "Hellfire Red Ale" refill from Brew Demon for my next batch. BOGO !
Okay. How do I get the Brew Demon discount?
Thanks.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

clockwork wrote:Good morning,

I am new to this forum and very new to home brewing.
My first brew was a gift. It was Sharper Image "Pale Ale" one gallon all grain brew.
I was just "drinkable". I wrote that off to being new and that Sharper Image is not known for its brew kits (they also sell RC cars and vibrators).
So I bought a Mr. Beer 2 brew kit and have fermented my first batch "American Light" and am conditioning it in the bottles.(ready in 2 more weeks)
Right now I have their "Oktoberfest" in the ferment keg.
Been drinking a lot of Grolsch to get the bottles. It costs just as much for the full bottles as the empties. It is a no brainer.
Bought the "Hellfire Red Ale" refill from Brew Demon for my next batch. BOGO !
Okay. How do I get the Brew Demon discount?
Thanks.
Welcome.

Since grolsch bottles are green, make sure you keep them away from light, especially sunlight and fluorescent light.

Here is a link to a pest on how to get the beer demon discount.
clockwork

Post by clockwork »

Thanks for the info on green bottles. They are kept in a pantry closet with an incondescent bulb.

Would my brew benefit from transferring from the one Mr. Beer brew keg to another as a secondary fermenter?
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Some people recommend transferring to another secondary fermenter. I personally don't recommend it, and I've only done it once or twice because of the type of recipe, and I probably didn't even need to. I think it just adds an unnecessary step that could oxygenate the beer, which you don't want to do at this point. It will do just fine leaving it in the primary.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
clockwork

Post by clockwork »

Thanks.
I shall leave things as they are.
Norman__Snorz

Post by Norman__Snorz »

Yes, I'm a newbie! Just received my 1 gal brewkit from BrewDemon. Looking forward to brewing and tasting the first batch.....the 2 weeks will be a killer.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Welcome Norman and Clockwork!
Never mind, there it is.
BxOldE1

Post by BxOldE1 »

Hey guys, im new to everything. I just ordered a brewdemon 2 gallon conical and some refills. Cant wait to get started!!! After the refills id like to try the boil in a bag recipes. I will be asking alot of questions then. Hope everyone has a great day and thank you in advance!!!
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

BxOldE1 wrote:Hey guys, im new to everything. I just ordered a brewdemon 2 gallon conical and some refills. Cant wait to get started!!! After the refills id like to try the boil in a bag recipes. I will be asking alot of questions then. Hope everyone has a great day and thank you in advance!!!
Welcome BxOldE1 and happy brewing. Ask away. Lots of experienced brewers here to help you as you move along your journey.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Welcome aboard! I think you're off to a good start.
Never mind, there it is.
WorfMead

New to the Borg

Post by WorfMead »

I am new to Beerborg and brewing in general. I have attempted a brew using a kit and a batch of mead. They turned out okay, but were not a favorite of mine. I recently purchased a refill kit from Brewdeamon, who lead me to this site, for an Oatmeal Stout. Hopefully it will turn out better than my other attempts. The refill seems pretty straight forward and a no fail solution. It almost feels like cheating, but would still like to know how I get the discount for Brewdeamon.

I am also interested in learning about brewing. It doesn't seem to be terribly difficult. My heritage is what made me try a batch of mead. My father used to brew pretty good wine, which he never showed me how to do.

Beer seems to be really tricky as there are so many different types out there. I am fond of the darker beers (porters & stouts) where my wife is partial to light beers. We have both agreed we are not huge IPA fans or anything with a hard hoppy flavor to it. I would appreciate any recommendations on what to brew that my wife and I would both like.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: New to the Borg

Post by The_Professor »

WorfMead wrote:.......Beer seems to be really tricky as there are so many different types out there. I am fond of the darker beers (porters & stouts) where my wife is partial to light beers. We have both agreed we are not huge IPA fans or anything with a hard hoppy flavor to it. I would appreciate any recommendations on what to brew that my wife and I would both like.
Yes there are many types of beer but generally the process is the same just different ingredients. One difference is between lager and ale fermentation where the main difference is the fermentation temperature. Even then the beer is made generally the same way up to the time of fermentation and is bottled the same.

I would throw out a question about the "hard hoppy flavors". Hops can actually add either bitterness, flavor, or aroma to a beer and are added to almost all beers. Hops are boiled in the beer before fermentation. Hops boiled for 60-90 minutes add bitterness. Before you say, "Yuck, that's what I don't like", that means just enough hops can be added so the beer is not too sweet. It sounds like that may be what you are talking about. Hops boiled in the 15-20 minute range add flavor with some bitterness. Hop flavor can be nice if it does not enter a bitterness level you do not enjoy. Hops boiled for 5 minutes add aroma which I would understand is not something you would be against. So my question would be is it actually a flavor you do not enjoy or is it the bitterness?

If it is the bitterness you do not like you would want to watch for the IBU rating for any recipe you try. There is a balance between the natural sweetness of the malt and the bittering of hop additions. Styles such as Scotch Ale (dark), Red Ale (ummm, red), Vienna lager (pale), and light lager (pale/lager) are all styles that can be brewed with nothing but your preferred bittering level to cut the malt sweetness.

A moderate hop flavor addition to a lot of styles can really add to the beer and again if it is the bitterness you don't like you would just keep an eye on the IBU rating of the recipe.

For instance, what do you think of something like Lagunitas IPA?