Basic Information - Let's get it started!

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

jivex5k
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Basic Information - Let's get it started!

Post by jivex5k »

So I figured, as we had at the old place, we should have a sticky of the most common mistakes made by new brewers.
I'm just gonna jump in head first and start listing stuff I can think of.

The Golden Rule: "Have Patience". Beer takes times dude, you don't want to rush mother nature.

So onto some basics about brewing...How exactly is beer made? Well I'm glad you asked! Without getting too scientifical like, here are the basic steps to making beer.

1. Create the wort. This is done using water and malts. You heat up the water to a specific temperature, and then steep crushed malts in the water. This converts the starches in the malts into sugar, and also gives your water flavor and body.

2. Boil the hops. Once the starches are sugars, that stuff is sweet dude! In fact, before this step begins the liquid you created is referred to as "Sweet Wort". Well that's fine and dandy, but this ain't no candy, so boiling hops in your "Sweet Wort' takes out the sweet by balancing it with the bitterness of hops.

3. Pitch the yeast. Ah yes, the magic happens here. Mother nature at work! Just make sure you don't throw the yeast in water that is above 90* F, heck I wouldn't even pitch my little buddies in anything above 75* F. Remember, they are alive, and they don't want to be boiled to death like lobsters!

4. Wait...and wait some more. Now the yeast will be happily eating the sugars in your wort, and producing our friend Alcohol. The time it takes before it is done varies, but a good rule of thumb is 2-3 weeks. The only way to truly be sure is by using a device called a Hydrometer, what you do is take a measurement before fermentation, and then measurements after you believe it to be done. You know the yeast is finished when the measurement stays the same for a couple days.

5. Bottle your beer (or keg). Yup, it's all done, at least you though so.... Nope, beer's gotta be carbonated dude! This is done by putting sugar in the fermented wort (or uncarbonated beer at this point), carefully mixing it in without introducing the beer to a lot of oxygen, and then bottleing the beer and letting it sit at room temperature for 2 weeks. The yeast (which are still in there, just suspended and small) will have desert by eating the sugar you added, and the resulting c02 will now be trapped since your beer is now bottled. When enough is formed it gets absorbed back into the beer, thus creating carbonation! If you have a kegging system you can force carbonate your beer with C02, but that's something I've never done!

6. Give the bottle a week in the fridge before opening (after it's carbed). It really makes a big difference!

So that's it, just wanted to get some information on this site.
Feel free to rip this apart, make it better, I didn't know where to start so I just started... I figure it's better than nothing.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you can never be sure if they are true." - Walt Whitman
BeerRust
Brew Master
Brew Master

Re: Basic Information - Let's get it started!

Post by BeerRust »

Sounds easy to make!
Snowjob
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Snowjob »

Also make sure everything is clean and sanitized.
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

When you mess up on brew day, don't worry about it, it rarely ruins the outcome.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

And pick a day when you have time and don't have to rush. Rushing to finish ASAP causes mistakes. It's fun to brew to take as much time as you need.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I'd suggest that the 2 weeks in the bottle be changed to 4. We spent a lot of time on the other forum promoting 3-4 as the default for most beers. To me, one of the confusing things for newbs is the vast array of answers that they get as to timing from various sources. If you don't own a hydrometer, 3 weeks in the LBK is best. Then, unless it's a wheat or other similar type, 4 weeks in the bottle at room temp followed by at least a few days in the frig is recommended. For most beers, MORE time in the bottle at room temp improves things. So don't refrigerate more than you're ready to drink. And, if you find yourself with beer in the frig that was only warm for 4 weeks and now it's 8 weeks, pull it out and put in beer that's be aging 8 weeks at room temps, and let the first bottles warm and start extending their conditioning period.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

i agree with RickBeer. for basic information we should assume no hydrometer and go 3-4
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
dad2all5
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by dad2all5 »

PRIMING for the Bottle??

What about using sugar in each bottle, or adding sugar to the entire batch in the brew demon and bottle from the fermenter??
BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT. (THE CHILDREN NEED POSITIVE ROLE MODELS) HAVE YOU CHANGED TODAY?
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

Well you don't wanna add the sugar into the fermenter to prime it. The fermenter will have the trub at the bottom and you don't want to stir that into the beer. Instead, you can use another vessel and empty the beer into it from the fermenter, and then add priming sugar to the whole batch. The best and most sanitary way is to make a solution of sugar in water and boil it to sterilize it. Let it cool and add to the beer in the second vessel, then stir it in slowly so as not to aerate the beer and so the sugar solution is dissolved evenly in the beer. At this point you can siphon it (or if your second vessel has a spigot, you can pour it out of the spigot) into bottles or into a keg. Let it condition at room temp for 4 weeks as normal.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

dad2all5 wrote:PRIMING for the Bottle??

What about using sugar in each bottle, or adding sugar to the entire batch in the brew demon and bottle from the fermenter??
If you haven't bottled anything yet I would advise that you familiarize yourself with a priming calculator like the one on Screwy Brewers website. That will tell you how much to use depending on temps, bottle size etc.

If you are not carbonating to a specific style you may like using a 2.3 gram mini sugar cube for each 12 ounce bottle. It is quick and easy and gives a decent carbonation that is not fizzy.
Sibling Brewers
Wings_Fan_In_KC
Wings_KC
Wings_KC

Post by Wings_Fan_In_KC »

Yeah, don't do this unless you want 50% trub in all of your bottles and aerated beer that tastes like cardboard.
I'm A Friggin' Hop Grenade !!
Crazy Dog Brewing
22.50 Gallons Brewed in 2014

Jan 6th: HCCD Mod II
Jan 27th: Diablo IPA Mod
Feb 18th: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod II
Mar 13th: Witty Monk Witbier Mod II
Moved in June disupting my brewing and pipeline
July 19th: OVL Mod II
Late Aug: Bewitched Amber Ale Mod
Oct: High Country Canadian Mod III
Nov: St Pat's Irish Stout/Vanilla Porter Mod
Dec: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod III
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Brewbirds wrote:

If you haven't bottled anything yet I would advise that you familiarize yourself with a priming calculator like the one on Screwy Brewers website. That will tell you how much to use depending on temps, bottle size etc.

If you are not carbonating to a specific style you may like using a 2.3 gram mini sugar cube for each 12 ounce bottle. It is quick and easy and gives a decent carbonation that is not fizzy.
To help folks, that is the kind of Dominos Dot sugar cube that comes in packs of 198 per pound.

There are other dots which are ~4 grams, less per box. Those are good for 740ML bottles if you want a lower carb level then 2 of the 2.3 gram dots.
Wings_Fan_In_KC
Wings_KC
Wings_KC

Post by Wings_Fan_In_KC »

Mashani, the ones I've used are C&W brand and they are ~ 4g like you said.

Only downside is you have to cut them to get them to fit down the neck of a swing top.

Maybe I should find the smaller ones!
I'm A Friggin' Hop Grenade !!
Crazy Dog Brewing
22.50 Gallons Brewed in 2014

Jan 6th: HCCD Mod II
Jan 27th: Diablo IPA Mod
Feb 18th: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod II
Mar 13th: Witty Monk Witbier Mod II
Moved in June disupting my brewing and pipeline
July 19th: OVL Mod II
Late Aug: Bewitched Amber Ale Mod
Oct: High Country Canadian Mod III
Nov: St Pat's Irish Stout/Vanilla Porter Mod
Dec: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod III
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

The Dominos Dots seem to be regional, but you can buy them on Amazon or online grocery places. But be sure to get the 198/box type, because the 4g ones are also labeled "Dominos Dots". Just to cause confusion.
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

mashani wrote:The Dominos Dots seem to be regional, but you can buy them on Amazon or online grocery places. But be sure to get the 198/box type, because the 4g ones are also labeled "Dominos Dots". Just to cause confusion.
C&W does not make the 2.3 gram ones the brand I use is Imperial Sugar. Don't know if Dixie makes them.

If your regular grocery store sells C&W you might try a different chain.
Sibling Brewers