BJCP style guidelines page

News and inform about upcoming competitions or ones that you have entered.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: BJCP style guidelines page

Post by mashani »

From my unique perspective:

It's nice that they finally acknowledge that there are lower ABV Belgian/Trappist beers (what they call Trappist Single) now, if I wanted to comp my beers that gives me a category to enter a lot more of them into instead of "specialty ale".

Except that in some cases I still can't, except under specialty ales. Because that they still are *overly bucketing* every Belgian category, including that new Trappist single one. There *are* examples of < 1.06 OG Belgian Blondes that are NOT Trappist singles. (low gravity, but more restrained yeast esters/phenolics). There *are* what they call Trappist Singles that are much darker in color and are more like dubbels in character (some beers brewed in monestary for monks consumption are like single strength dubbels. I've brewed such beers too. They are delicious and deserve love). There *are* paler dubbels. There *are* darker dubbels, darker and lighter strong dark beers, darker and lighter grand crus, etc. Their buckets are still too narrow to really represent true Belgian brewing traditions.

I guess that's simply just a "downside" of the process, where humans simply can't comprehend things outside of narrow minded boxes, but from the true tradition of Belgian brewing, it still sucks.

:: rant mode off LOL ::
Foothiller
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented
Location: Northern CA (Sierra foothills) / Interests: BJCP Certified

Post by Foothiller »

I hear you, mashani. I brew a 100-calorie Belgian for my wife, and when I entered it as a Belgian Specialty and made it as clear as could be that it is a low-cal beer, it still got dinged for being thin.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Foothiller wrote:it still got dinged for being thin.
Belgians are supposed to be easy to drink, even the big boys. Light bodied is good. Heavy is bad.

So, that's a lame thing to ding any Belgian for IMHO.
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

I bought that book, Foothiller. Mine showed up Wednesday, it does get into some of the new guidelines a bit.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013