Entering Your First Competition

News and inform about upcoming competitions or ones that you have entered.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Funky Skunk Brewing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Entering Your First Competition

Post by Funky Skunk Brewing »

With this new section of the Beer Borg being dedicated to beer brewing competitions, I wanted to take a little time and let those brewers in on what you can expect in entering your first beer brewing competition. I know for some it could be a little intimidating to send your beer off to have someone you don't know drinking and judging something you created and considered good beer.

You’ve worked your tail off brewing your beers, now that you’re going to make the leap and enter a beer or two into an upcoming competition, you need to make sure to follow the correct procedures to ensure that your beer is properly entered and stands the best chance of success and of course, accurate judging.

First off, do not take it personally. Although this is a "competition", it is also a very valuable tool for you to use in future beers as well as invaluable feedback from your current brews. The feedback you receive from the BJCP judges will allow you to see from someone else's point of view exactly what your beer is doing right and where it could be improved in future batches. You will also receive feedback from multiple judges on the same beer(s) you enter into the competition. This method really shows the difference in people's pallets and even tastes in beer when you see the differences, however subtle or contradicting they may be. And please, please remember, in the vast majority of situations, you are entering a competition run by volunteers. These people are donating their time and energy to help support their club, friends, and the homebrew movement at large. This is being done for your benefit!

When the scoring is finished, you will receive your beers score sheet back from the judges with their scoring of each of the categories [Aroma, Appearance, Flavor, Mouthfeel and Overall Impression] as well as notes on what they tasted, if you hit the mark or missed in certain categories. Below are two examples of score sheets. The first is a blank sheet and the second is a score sheet returned from the competition, just to give you an idea of what your beer(s) will be judged on.

Now that you know what to expect, let's look at some simple guidelines to follow before entering your first home brew competition.

1. Read the Rules - This may sound like a no brainer but you would be surprised how many entries a single competition receives that are not following the stated rules for that competition. Don't just skim over the rules and send in beers that may not be allowed at a competition. You don't want to risk disqualification because you failed to read through the rules before entering and sending your beer off.

2. Packing Your Beer - In most cases, competitions will require an entry to be two or three bottles at the most. Typically in 12 oz. green or brown non labeled bottles, making sure there are no identifying marks. Most competitions request that bottles be free of any labeling, professional or otherwise, and that the bottles do not have any embossing, raised lettering, etc.

Also, it is illegal to send your beer via the United States Postal Service (USPS). So make certain you use a shipping company such as UPS or FedEx to ship your beers. PACK YOUR ENTRIES WELL: Line the inside of your carton with a plastic trash bag. Partition and pack each bottle with adequate packaging material. Clearly state "GLASS-FRAGILE. THIS SIDE UP" on the package. Your package of NON-PERISHABLE FOOD should weigh less than 40 pounds. It is not necessary to state specific contents of your package of non-perishable food.

3. Entry Labels - Most competitions will request you fill out an entry label and affix it to each submitted bottle. You will want to attach this entry labels to your bottles with a rubber band. DO NOT use tape for this process. Rubber bands make it easy to remove the label and dealing with the hundreds of entries they receive. Again, these are volunteers not paid help. Make it easier on them when you can.

4. Classifying Your Beer - Make sure when you send your beers off to competitions they are properly classified for that competition. If the competition is a BJCP-sanctioned competition, then there are very specific styles of beer from which you must select. If you are in need of a list of beer style guidelines, one can be found here, http://beerborg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=1771

Properly classifying your beer is very important as your beer will be judged against a specific set of guidelines. Even a great beer that was classified incorrectly can score rather poorly, regardless of how much the judges enjoyed it.

5. HAVE FUN !!!! - It may be labeled a competition but they are meant to be fun, educational and to help improve your brewing.

I hope this helps those that have never entered a home brew competition in the past and will shed some light on how much fun they can be. Participating in your first competition as I said can be a little intimidating. Just remember this -- Regardless of how your beer ends up in the competition you will benefit greatly. Accredited and qualified judges will provide you with very beneficial input on your beer, giving praise where warranted and aspects where it could be lacking.

Good judges will be able to not just tell you what could be wrong with your beer but offer their advice and tips to help you create a better version of that beer on your next brew day. It's not about medaling or finishing best in show. The entire point of competitions is to benefit your brewing and point you in a direction that could help you brew better beer.
Eddie Garrison
Funky Skunk Brewing
Making Every Ounce Count
gwcr

Re: Entering Your First Competition

Post by gwcr »

Excellent post! That first competition can definitely be stressful, but it is worth it. Impartial feedback is essential to improving your beer.
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Thank you!
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

I'm glad you posted this, Eddie. I'm fixing to enter a couple beers of mine into a competition in Miami that's on toward the end of March. This will help me calm my nerves.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

Funky Skunk Brewing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

philm00x wrote:I'm glad you posted this, Eddie. I'm fixing to enter a couple beers of mine into a competition in Miami that's on toward the end of March. This will help me calm my nerves.
Awesome, Phil!! Good luck to you!!!

Thanks for the kind words on the post. Glad it was able to give you some piece of mind and maybe a few tips on what to expect and how to get going. Looking forward to seeing how it goes for you and Mr. Rufus brews :clink:
Eddie Garrison
Funky Skunk Brewing
Making Every Ounce Count
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Great post FSB, thanks.

After too much nondescript feed back from friends on my beers. (People here excluded)

Friend: "This is good beer."
Me: "Thanks, can you describe why?"
Them: "Uhm, it just is"

I entered two competitions for some feedback and helped steward for one. It let me now that my process is solid and was great to see how the judging was done.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Funky Skunk Brewing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Inkleg wrote:Great post FSB, thanks.

After too much nondescript feed back from friends on my beers. (People here excluded)

Friend: "This is good beer."
Me: "Thanks, can you describe why?"
Them: "Uhm, it just is"

I entered two competitions for some feedback and helped steward for one. It let me now that my process is solid and was great to see how the judging was done.
That's awesome!!!

That's exactly what competitions are used for. It ensures you that your process is solid, or tells you where it could be improved. Hope you continue to send brews to competitions.

:clink:
Eddie Garrison
Funky Skunk Brewing
Making Every Ounce Count
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

This is an excellent primer on entering competitions! You da man, Skunk! Or is it, "you da skunk, man"? Anyway, I hope this encourages people to enter comps.

Thanks to Leigh, too, for making this a sticky. Too vital to have it drop from sight.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

FedoraDave wrote:This is an excellent primer on entering competitions! You da man, Skunk! Or is it, "you da skunk, man"? Anyway, I hope this encourages people to enter comps.

Thanks to Leigh, too, for making this a sticky. Too vital to have it drop from sight.
One of our fine moderators actually made it a sticky before I even saw it! I, like everyone else found out and got to enjoy reading it! :)

I think I'm actually going to repost this as an article on the main part of the site. This is too good not to get as many eyeballs on it as possible!
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Good idea, Leigh. Every homebrewer should read this, IMO.

One thing I'd like to point out that Skunk neglected to mention is that you don't need to be making all-grain recipes to enter a comp. Partial Mash, all extract, I think even modified kits and HMEs are eligible.

So really, there's no excuse NOT to enter a competition. :)
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
Funky Skunk Brewing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Thanks guys on the kind words and I'm glad everyone liked the post. Thanks for pointing that out, Dave. You are correct when saying I did not mention virtually any beer can be entered into home brew competitions. I will revisit the post and make sure to add that for everyone's knowledge. Thanks for that catch. I would not want brewers to think they just have to be doing AG brews in order to enter competitions.
Eddie Garrison
Funky Skunk Brewing
Making Every Ounce Count
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Thanks Eddie. I'm considering entering my first competition. I was just browsing the web, checked on a large local club (with officers and bylaws, no less!). There is a competition next month, entry starts Saturday. It happens that I also have perhaps my best brew to date drinking-ready now. I admit I am nervous about it. My friends and family really love the brew (Maureen O'Hara Irish Red), I'm worried that the judges won't, and I'll be offended. I feel a little silly to be nervous too. I spent 28 years in uniform, battling heavy seas, drug dealers and smugglers, even an occasional mean dog. But they were rarely critical, and I could shoot most of them if necessary. I know it would be bad form to shoot a judge, even if I only winged him.
I guess I have to go for it.
Never mind, there it is.
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

Hey John what is the club on Long Island? I live on the west end ( almost in Queens ). It might be too far out for me to get to but I would like to part of a club to get some feedback on my brews.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Hey Banjo! The one I'm talking about is Brewer's East End Revival, (B E E R, get it?). Mostly a Suffolk County operation I think. They meet regularly in Hauppauge and Patchogue. The competition info is on their website.
Never mind, there it is.
Funky Skunk Brewing
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

John Sand wrote:Thanks Eddie. I'm considering entering my first competition. I was just browsing the web, checked on a large local club (with officers and bylaws, no less!). There is a competition next month, entry starts Saturday. It happens that I also have perhaps my best brew to date drinking-ready now. I admit I am nervous about it. My friends and family really love the brew (Maureen O'Hara Irish Red), I'm worried that the judges won't, and I'll be offended. I feel a little silly to be nervous too. I spent 28 years in uniform, battling heavy seas, drug dealers and smugglers, even an occasional mean dog. But they were rarely critical, and I could shoot most of them if necessary. I know it would be bad form to shoot a judge, even if I only winged him.
I guess I have to go for it.
Hahahaha, yeah ... Shooting a BJCP judge could land you in some trouble where beer is not allowed. Nah, don't feel nervous about entering competitions. It's all about the feedback on the beer. Ultimately, if you like the beer and your friends you share it with like it, that's the best part. A competition either confirms you are doing things right, or points out where you could do things better.

You have to remember, the judges are grading to style, not necessarily what you think is good about the beer. I know it seems strange, but you enter a specific category and they grade to the characteristics of that category. And you never know, they could give you a big score and your beer could be "better" than you originally thought.

You can of course "self judge" by looking at the BJCP guidelines http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2008_stylebook.pdf and read through the characteristics of the category you are entering while drinking your beer. Look for the characteristics that are "supposed" to be present to see how it already sizes up in your mind. I do this before sending any beer to a competition.

Good luck and be sure to post the results and feedback you receive from the judges.
Eddie Garrison
Funky Skunk Brewing
Making Every Ounce Count