The "Brag On Yourself" thread

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

The "Brag On Yourself" thread

Post by FedoraDave »

I have to brag a little. Yesterday I brewed a fiver of FedoraDave's American Ale, which I consider my "House Brew". The recipe I followed is one I formulated a little over 2 years ago, converting an extract recipe to AG. I've brewed this at least three or four times since then, and I've always been pleased with it.

But this time, I also noticed something which I consider extremely important.

According to my original notes, my OG was 1.056. That's what I hit yesterday, right on the screws. And I recall hitting it exactly the last time I brewed it, sometime in the fall of 2013. I think I've hit 1.056 just about every time I've brewed this, in fact.

This tells me I'm getting consistency in my process, and can count on repeating recipes with the same level of quality over and over again.

It's good to brag on ourselves now and then, so use this thread to pat yourself on the back! You'll have the rest of us patting your back, too! :barman:
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Old Smokey Amber Ale -- 100 Years War IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- South Ferry Steam Beer
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: The "Brag On Yourself" thread

Post by Inkleg »

I call All Y'all my friends. That bragging rights right there. :clink:
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

I'm getting pretty good consistency with OG's for given amounts of malt. I am now trying to get better hop utilization for my IPA's, but it's somewhat limited with partial volume boils.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

My OG's have been spot on but it's my FG's that I've been challenged with though I have been doing much better recently.
My only pat on the back is that I don't give up. I keep going, bitch to you guys about my screw ups and faults and then 'git er done'.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Wings_Fan_In_KC
Wings_KC
Wings_KC

Post by Wings_Fan_In_KC »

I make beer, I've never once calculated an ABV (cuz I don't care) and I've fully embraced the "RDWHAHB" mantra.

That's good enough for me.
I'm A Friggin' Hop Grenade !!
Crazy Dog Brewing
22.50 Gallons Brewed in 2014

Jan 6th: HCCD Mod II
Jan 27th: Diablo IPA Mod
Feb 18th: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod II
Mar 13th: Witty Monk Witbier Mod II
Moved in June disupting my brewing and pipeline
July 19th: OVL Mod II
Late Aug: Bewitched Amber Ale Mod
Oct: High Country Canadian Mod III
Nov: St Pat's Irish Stout/Vanilla Porter Mod
Dec: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod III
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

I like beer. I like talking beer. I think the best part of that is, the BeerBorg. I found a place with a lot of nice people. I spend a lot of time here, only because, I like all y'all.
The Nong Brewery defines "Fermentation" as: Making "Rot" a Good Thing

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

Beer-lord wrote:My OG's have been spot on but it's my FG's that I've been challenged with though I have been doing much better recently.
My only pat on the back is that I don't give up. I keep going, bitch to you guys about my screw ups and faults and then 'git er done'.
Yah, in the winter when my basement brew room can get down to 58degF, I have to always use a strong yeast like S05, and sometimes even with that I sometimes am off the mark on FG.
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Bluejaye »

Funny, just this morning I was pouring mouthwash from a large/economy size bottle with a large mouth into a smaller bottle with a smaller mouth, without a funnel. Thinking to myself, "The only reason I can do this now, is because of all the experience pouring wort without losing a drop." And the only reason I can do that, is the advice/tips that the Borg gave on the old forum. So I think we all can pat ourselves on the back! I'm available for parties to show off this awesome ability.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Yankeedag wrote:I like beer. I like talking beer. I think the best part of that is, the BeerBorg. I found a place with a lot of nice people. I spend a lot of time here, only because, I like all y'all.
Awww, I feel so special!
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Let's see.... I can't really brag on myself, but I can brag on the BORG! For without all of you, I would have given up brewing a long time ago! My first and second batch came out tasting like, well, poop!

I guess I can brag about myself, I have learned to irritate people world wide more than normal. All joking aside (yea, I was joking), I've learned to appreciate hops and grain! I am getting fairly good at making a pretty darn good IPA. I am now hitting my numbers fairly accurate, my beers are getting to be well known in my hood. Guys come from miles around to sample my IPAs, so yea, I'm getting pretty darn good at them. Again though, it would not have been possible without the BORG! So I say, thank-you BORG for making me a good beer brewer! (ALL of you)
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

I guess if I have anything to brag about, it would be the fact that I'm FINALLY starting to take my health seriously after too many decades of being a stubborn, reckless fool. I'm making a genuine effort with diet, exercise and cooperation with my doctors. I've had to give up most of the foods and drinks I love. But I'm sticking to the routine with about an 85% attenuation rate, although I must admit, when I indulge too much in beans I get nearly a 100% flocculation rate. Seriously though, today I just found out about Clarity Ferm, so I may be brewing again very soon. That will help with the gluten, but will still mean being careful with the gout. But I'll take what I can get.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Joe, those are some damn good bragging rights. And the fact that I laugh at every one of your posts, is pretty good bragging rights too. :rofl:
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

well, only if he means them to be funny. ;)

I can't really brag about my brewing with out the Borg I probably wouldn't be. all it really proves is I have good reading comprehension. I guess my only bragging comes from my kids and grandkids...they're all happy and healthy. what more could you want?
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

Thanks, Ink.

Jim, I'll add to that sentiment along with you and the others in this thread. I think all of us here can be both happy and proud of the fact that we had enough sense to listen and learn from the great brewers and friends we found here.