Bottling

Share your wine making recipes and thoughts here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Bottling

Post by DaYooper »

Now, this should be pretty obvious I would think, but before I do something stoopid wanted to double check as havent done it before.

With this subzero weather, my brewing has been limited to small MrB batches that dont require boiling inside that tends to get my celings sticky due to the vent being on the other wall and not over the stove (old house). So, with more subzero temps predicted for the weekend coupled with 3" of snow, I have decided to hang out in the basement and make some wine. Problem is, I am running out of wine bottles and dont expect another shipment of empties from the tasting room for at least another month.

I do have a bunch of 22oz beer bottles that would be perfect for a glass of wine each for me and the wife. Would there be any issue with using these? I would think not, but better safe than sorry. I would actually think that if I used these and some oxygen absorbing beer caps it would be better than a corked bottle albeit not as much grapey goodness as well as not fitting properly in the wine rack.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Bottling

Post by mashani »

There is no problem bottling wine in those. I used to bottle wine and mead in old Duval bottles for "single servings".
myhorselikesbeer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by myhorselikesbeer »

+1 to what Mashini said...beer bottles will work fine, I use them when I don't have enough for a full 750mL.
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

Thanks! I have decided to split the batch between normal wine bottles and smaller servings, since once a big bottle is opened we feel compelled to finish it. Not that bad on the first bottle, its the second one that causes trouble.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company