Cooking with Beer.

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Shermie

Cooking with Beer.

Post by Shermie »

Have any of you ever prepared a meal that you'd use beer in?

I was wondering about this and came across a few cookbook recipes in the past, such as beer batter chicken that is usually deep fried. :hammer:
Because nobody likes flat beer!!
jpsherman
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Cooking with Beer.

Post by jpsherman »

Pretty much any chili recipe benefits from beer.

Beer can chicken is delicious, and they even make special stands to make sure it wont topple over!

It can be good in a cheese soup, or mac 'n' cheese.

Some people use it to boil ribs or brats before hitting the grill. Personally I'd rather drink the beer.

You can also use it braise beef, something I have not personally tried though.
Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain.
Quaintest thoughts — queerest fancies,
Come to life and fade away:
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today.

– Edgar Allan Poe
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink--Oscar Wilde
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Giggle Squid Brewery
Fermenting:
Barleywine 2016

Conditioning:
Barleywine 8-27-2014 (only drinking on special occasions)

Drinking:
Apple Wine 2.0
Apple Wine 2.1
Jalapeno Ale
Dark Vanner
Dark and Hoppy Night
Liquid Gold
Mad Max
Dundee Ale
Magnum PA

DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

Beer is a great marinade and helps tenderize the tougher cuts of meats. I usually throw some in with a roast, usually a cheapie can but if I have a good recipe that may blend with a particular beer I will go that direction. My pumpkin ale adds some real nice spices to a lot of things. Plus, if you dont use the whole bottle the chef gets some too!
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
Gman20
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Gman20 »

i seen this pizza crust mix at the store that using beer instead of water....havent tried it but might sometime. they also make a pizza beer and other stuff too... heres a link

http://www.mammamiapizzabeer.com/store/index.php
Trollby
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Trollby »

Beer Brats
Corned Beef Brisket (boil with Red Potato, Onion and Cabbage)
Chili
Braised pot-roast

Pretty much can deglaze any dish with beer or wine, depending on recipe
CyberCop Brewery
LBK #1
LBK #2 -
LBK #3 (GF)
LBK #4 -
Pilot Keg

Drinking:
The Jen Stout
Belgian Dubbel
Blueberry Pomegranate Mead
Linda's Hard Cider
Lemon Wine (Hard Lemonade)
RCE - Bock

Conditioning:
DoppelWine
Blueberry Mead
NW3C-IPA
Brew #62 Lawn-Mower Pilsner
mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

What they all said... anything you braise, stew, deglaze, and I've been making beer pretzels using beer instead of water. I've tried SA Octoberfest, make good pretzels, but an IPA tasted even better. Skys the limit...
Rayyankee
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Rayyankee »

As was already said i have marinaded with beer and braised with it many time it adds a great flavor to most meats and depending on the style of beer lots of different character to the food. as others here do i also make dog biscuits from my spent grains.
bucknut
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by bucknut »

I do also but only use the cheap macro brews to cook with, brats are good also do beer can chicken and you can't beat heating and basting a ham with beer. Never tried it in chili but would use a better tasting craft beer since more of the flavor would be kept in the food.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Beef stew. Dark beer instead of tomatoes makes a great broth.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I always cook with beer. Sometimes I even add it to the food I'm cooking.

Seriously, though, as mentioned, chili, stew, beer can chicken, and many other dishes can be enhanced with beer. You just have to choose the proper beer to add. For chili and stew, I prefer a darker beer, like a porter or a stout. A pilsner or a blonde ale would probably work well in a batter for chicken strips, wings, onion rings, or something that's going to be deep-fried.

I have to take exception to the suggestion to boil ribs in beer before putting them on the grill. If you're not smokin' low-n-slow, you're not making ribs. Boiling takes a lot of the flavor out of meat, and you're just throwing it away. Boil a chicken for soup. Smoke ribs for six hours with apple wood at 225 degrees. But you can baste them with a mop sauce that has beer in it, to keep them moist.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Old Smokey Amber Ale -- 100 Years War IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- South Ferry Steam Beer
haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

Beer can make great desserts. Cakes, ice cream, milk shakes etc. I am with Dave never boil ribs. Low & slow. If you can't smoke 'em wrap 'em in foil and slow roast then broil.
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013
Insanitized

Post by Insanitized »

FedoraDave wrote:I always cook with beer. Sometimes I even add it to the food I'm cooking.

Seriously, though, as mentioned, chili, stew, beer can chicken, and many other dishes can be enhanced with beer. You just have to choose the proper beer to add. For chili and stew, I prefer a darker beer, like a porter or a stout. A pilsner or a blonde ale would probably work well in a batter for chicken strips, wings, onion rings, or something that's going to be deep-fried.

I have to take exception to the suggestion to boil ribs in beer before putting them on the grill. If you're not smokin' low-n-slow, you're not making ribs. Boiling takes a lot of the flavor out of meat, and you're just throwing it away. Boil a chicken for soup. Smoke ribs for six hours with apple wood at 225 degrees. But you can baste them with a mop sauce that has beer in it, to keep them moist.
Unless you keep the liquid and call it stock. ;)
Insanitized

Post by Insanitized »

Beer butt chicken is the best, I use a ceramic chicken sitter and add lemon, onion, garlic, and some fresh herbs as well. In my opinion good beer is best, if it tastes good when you drink it it's only going to taste better when you cook with and reduce it. After making your beer butt chicken strain the stock from the sitter into a sauce pan and reduce to make a gravy. Also capture the drippings, beer/chicken stock gravy is amazing.
bucknut
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by bucknut »

Insanitized wrote:Beer butt chicken is the best, I use a ceramic chicken sitter and add lemon, onion, garlic, and some fresh herbs as well. In my opinion good beer is best, if it tastes good when you drink it it's only going to taste better when you cook with and reduce it. After making your beer butt chicken strain the stock from the sitter into a sauce pan and reduce to make a gravy. Also capture the drippings, beer/chicken stock gravy is amazing.
Never thought of using the beer/stock to make a gravy. I've got one of those ceramic holders also so I'm going to have to give it a try, and use a better tasting brew ;). Another trick I've picked up making beer can chicken is to put a wedge of onion in the neck to trap all that steam from the beer.
Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Chuck N »

haerbob3 wrote:Beer can make great desserts.

Yes, they can!

haerbob3 wrote:Cakes, ice cream, milk shakes etc.
They make for good desserts also. But I prefer beer.

:lol: :lol:
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence