Electric Turkey Fryer BIAB

Although you don't need a mash ton or other things to do BIAB, you still need the right sfuff to brew it right!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

russki
Russki
Russki

Electric Turkey Fryer BIAB

Post by russki »

This is a repost of my old thread from Mr. Beer Forum.

I have successfully brewed several batches with this setup before building my recirculating BIAB rig.

Here's what I was using as a Single Vessel Electric MLT/Brewkettle (that's the technical term!):

It's a 1650watt 30qt (7.5 gallon) electric turkey fryer, currently priced at about $85 on Amazon. I was fortunate to find one from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $64.

To complete my setup, I purchased a 22.5" Weber Grill Grate from Lowes, a roll of Reflectix foil insulation, aluminum tape, as well as some 5-gallon paint strainer bags. Total cost: less than $100.

I also replaced the 2-ft cord that came with the fryer with a 10-foot heavy-duty 14-gauge server extension cord I had laying around. DO NOT USE AN EXTENSION CORD LESS THAN 14-GAUGE!!!

I get 70-75% efficiency with my process, I can use up to 14 pounds of grain (max that fits in the basket), and brew up to 1.070 OG 5-gallon batches without adding DME.

Let me do a rundown of the entire process:

1. I use a folding table to set the fryer on, as I personally find it too high and uncomfortable on the counter:

2. I fill the fryer to the top of the basket with hot tap water (about 120F) - you can use cold water, but this will add 30-40 min to the process. I'm impatient! Incidentally, this is exactly 5 gallons.

3. I take the basket out, set the thermostat to max, cover the pot, and let it come to strike temperature (not quite there in the photo). The holes in the lid are perfect for a thermometer.

4. While the water comes to temp (takes about 20 min), I crush my grains:

5. I line the basket with a 5-gallon paint strainer bag:

6. And fill it with crushed grain:

7. Once the water is at strike temp, I turn the fryer off. I slowly lower the basket with the grain into the water. I like to pull the top of the bag up and hold it closed so that the grain stays in there. I then swoosh the basket around a bit, just to make sure the water has permeated the grain, and use a large stainless spoon (not pictured) to mix my mash really well for a few minutes. I then cover the pot, put the thermometer in, and leave it be for 60 minutes. Normally, it will hold the temp perfectly without the need to turn the fryer back on at all.

8. While my mash is going, I heat up 2.5 gallons of water in a separate pot to 165F (to minimize tannin extraction).

9. When the mash is done, I slowly pull the basket with grain up, and slide the Weber grate underneath:

10. As it's draining into the pot, I turn the fryer back on, and use preheated water from the other pot and my high-tech sparging device to rinse the grains and get my boil volume to about 6-6.5 gallons:

11. I sparge until I fill the pot to about 1.5" from the top and add a few drops of Fermcap-S to prevent boil-overs. I put the lid back on and wait...It takes about 20-30 minutes to start boiling - once it starts, I take the lid off. Here's the hot break:

12. I do 90 minute boils for all my batches to minimize DMS and sufficiently concentrate the wort. I'm not detailing the hop additions here as they vary by recipe. I bag my hops to have less kettle trub. 20 min before the end of boil, I put the immersion chiller in the pot, and set up my pump. Since I can't connect a hose to my kitchen faucet, I use a 320 gph fountain pump submerged in my sink with the faucet running:

13. After the boil is over, I turn the pump on, letting the discharge run into the drain. Once the temperature drops to 100F, I add a bunch of ice to the sink, and start recirculating water through it - this gets the wort down to mid-70s in 15-20 minutes total:

14. Time to siphon! The yeast is rehydrated and ready to pitch! The batch size is perfect for filling a 5-gallon Lowes bucket to about 4.5 gallons. This leaves plenty of gunk in the pot.

15. Blast the yeasties with some O2, and we're almost done!

16. Time to clean up! The inner pot comes out for cleaning - I put the heating element back in, and fill the whole thing with hot tap water and let soak for a couple minutes - all gunk just wipes off with a paper towel! The spout is great for draining the water into the sink. You can see the layer of Refectix insulation I put around the pot:

That's all, folks! About 5.5 hours start to finish with a 60 minute mash and a 90 minute boil.

If anyone is looking for a way to brew 5-gallon all-grain batches indoors, or just doesn't want to deal with propane, this is definitely a pretty simple option!
In Soviet Russia, beer brews you!
My brews
Fermenting:
Strawberry Rhubarb Wheat (5-gal)(AG)
Cranberry Mead
Buck-Flower Mead
Flanders Red (5-gal)(AG) x 2
On Tap:
Hefeweizen (5-gal)(AG)
Oaked Pear Cider
gwcr

Re: Electric Turkey Fryer BIAB

Post by gwcr »

Excellent info russki! Thanks!

:barman:
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

I'm starting to think russki is a rocket scientist!!
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

This is a great classic. I like this more every time I go through it. :urock:
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

If you don't want that nasty ole turkey fryer taking up space anymore let me know. :lol:
Sibling Brewers
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Good stuff. Much better repeat than the jokes that a certain someone posts every few weeks because they can't remember posting the same joke before... Bad the first time, bad every time. :whistle:
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Watch it boys, russki will make you buy stuff you didn't know you needed till you saw his post.
It will work so well you will wonder why the heck you didn't have it already. :laugh
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Do you still use this system? I've been reading reviews about this fryer and it seems to be plagued with problems. I need something like this as ND winters make using my propane burners next to impossible. I usually do 3 gallon (finished) batches, should be good size for that. The price seems to have had a stiff rise too but if it is still a good system for you after lots of use, I'll probably bite the bullet.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Well, must not have come on today. I will check before I go to town tomarow, if I can find one of these at Cabela's (where I have a poop load of points), I'm gonna get one and try it.
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

I use this exact same setup and nearly the same method. Only real difference to speak of is that i hang the basket above for the drain and sparge instead of using a grill grate. Has been very successful for me. i generally do 3 gallon batches and this is a perfect size for that.
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
russki
Russki
Russki

Post by russki »

I haven't used my turkey fryer since I built my eBIAB system, but it worked great for a while... Until the controller caught on fire... Started to billow smoke, luckily I was next to it - called the company, they sent me a new controller even though it was out of warranty. Brewed 10-15 batches after that with no problems.
My brews
Fermenting:
Cranberry Mead
Buck-Flower Mead
On Tap:
Hefeweizen (5-gal)(AG)
Oaked Pear Cider
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Well, went to town, store did not have one in stock but the ordered it for me. Will take a week, but that's just fine. I have to order the grains/hops yet so it will work out. With the points on my card and a discount, it cost me out of pocked $40, so it is worth a try. This fryer sure has shot up in price quite a bit.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Great post russki, very good information as always.......... I didn't see it on the MB and just seen it here... good to help a starting BIAB....
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Question for those that use this system. I heated 4 gallons up to 150, let it sit for an hour. The heater kicked on once to heat from 147 back to 150. I used the foil as u showed, it does hold the temp 150 - 147 for an hour, it will work. The problem I'm seeing, it heats to boiling with the lid on pretty quick. Remove the lid, temp drops down to 208 pretty quick. Took 30 minutes to get back to 210, then for the next 1.5 hours it fluxes between 208 - 210, never does get any higher. Can't get a boil without the lid on. What is y'alls trick to get it to boil without a lid?
russki
Russki
Russki

Post by russki »

I wrapped the inner pot in Reflectix insulation, and it would keep 6 gallons of wort boiling (not super hard, but boiling) just fine... With only 4 gallons, it's a nice rolling boil.
My brews
Fermenting:
Cranberry Mead
Buck-Flower Mead
On Tap:
Hefeweizen (5-gal)(AG)
Oaked Pear Cider