The No Post Post

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: The No Post Post

Post by mashani »

bpgreen wrote:As far as I know, Beer Machine refills are the only source of prehopped DME.
FYI: Muntons (UK) makes hopped DME.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

mashani wrote:
bpgreen wrote:As far as I know, Beer Machine refills are the only source of prehopped DME.
I stand corrected. It's probably better than the beer machine version.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

bpgreen wrote:
mashani wrote:
I stand corrected. It's probably better than the beer machine version.
I don't know if the Beer Machine ones try to incorporate "flavor/aroma" hops into the DME, but the Muntons isn't like that, think of it as pre-bittered in such a way that it makes a good English Pale/ESB with you just steeping some crystal and throwing in some flavor/aroma hops.

There isn't anything inherently "wrong" with it as long as you treat it like that. As in DME with built in IBUs.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

mashani wrote: I don't know if the Beer Machine ones try to incorporate "flavor/aroma" hops into the DME, but the Muntons isn't like that, think of it as pre-bittered in such a way that it makes a good English Pale/ESB with you just steeping some crystal and throwing in some flavor/aroma hops.

There isn't anything inherently "wrong" with it as long as you treat it like that. As in DME with built in IBUs.
I think the Beer Machine mixes were supposed to have the flavor and aroma hops as well as the bittering hops. If I remember correctly, if you use the mixes with their product, you just dump the mix in, add water and yeast and close it up. I think it was a closed system and retained the CO2 produced during fermentation for carbonation and included a small cartridge for dispensing.

I didn't use them that way, though, which may be why I had more success with them than others. I used them sort of the way you describe the Muntons version. I used the mix as a base, then added LME and my own hop boil.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

And the snow keeps coming..... Wife and I were in Erie, PA (not very far from us here in western NY where we live) doing last minute shopping Sat. the 23. It started snowing bad and a lot of traffic that day, I kept telling the wife to hurry it up and we should get back home. By the time we left in late afternoon it was coming down hard, not as bad after we got closer to home but still not that good. I am no stranger to be driving in bad conditions, but I try not to if possible. We have got over 4 ft. of snow since Christmas but Erie got it worse this time. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/re ... er-n833011 Now calling for up to Two feet more for us this weekend and back in the minus digits.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

Snowing on Long Island now.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I just shoveled about 5 inches of light fluffy white crap from my driveway. Just gald it wasn't the wet and heavy crap.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

We’ll hit the mid 20’s Tuesday and Wednesday mornings if that makes you feel better. December was a tiny bit below average but it’s always an up and down month.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

My dog went outside for 10 minutes and came back in with a full 1" of snow covering her.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

tomorrow is the day, all week I planned on brewing and everyday something came up and couldn't, one reason why I don't grind grain until I can do it....
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Why do I have such a hard time trying to replace my bottling bucket? I want a replacement like the one I have now and have been using for too long. It is a 6.5 true Brew bucket with a cover and a 1/2" spigot. I looked on-line from the 2 places I usually buy from and don't have what I am looking for and my LHBS only has one with a 3/8 spigot.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

berryman wrote:Why do I have such a hard time trying to replace my bottling bucket? I want a replacement like the one I have now and have been using for too long. It is a 6.5 true Brew bucket with a cover and a 1/2" spigot. I looked on-line from the 2 places I usually buy from and don't have what I am looking for and my LHBS only has one with a 3/8 spigot.
I picked up several spigots a couple years back, .5". I keep them clean/stored in a baggie to avoid problems. Every couple batches or so, I replace with a new 5 gallon bucket. I think they are $10 at Lowe's, all marked food grade. I have used these buckets to ferment in, replace after a couple batches also. I use a step drill bit to put holes in da new buckets. These will hold a tad over 5 gallon and work for me, I rarely go over 4.5~5 gallons of brew at a time. Actually, I've shrunk my batches down to 3 gallon mostly, so these work perfectly.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Stinky weekend for me..... went to get a beer and the keg is empty. That's fine as I have lots more in line. BUT, when I put a new keg in... no pressure.... what the heck??? Checked my gauge and it reads 0.. well poop. This 10 gallon tank was filled last summer, they usually last me a lot longer than that. So... no problem, I have a bar full of good single malt so off I went, disaster averted. That was on saturday... yea.... when in rains it pours. Went to retrieve a brewski I bottled bout a year back... what did I see? A case of beer that the caps were about to blow, I mean the caps looked like ballons... grrrrr... checked another case, same thing.... grrrrr This was 2 different batches bottled atleast 6 months apart. Well heck, opened up a 12 pack of Hard Cider I had on reserve... grrrr, those ALSO were about to blow. Nice... NOT! I thought to self, Self, open one from each case and see if they are truly going to blow. Slowly opened, or thought I was, the cider. Had to go change shirts...... it blew big time! opened the other 2, while each did not blow hard, they foamed until about empty. What a day this is. Every bottle from the 2.5 cases blew or foamed badly. Tried to drink some after the foam subsided... not to be. Nasty....... grrrrrrr Ok, time for a bottle of Crown. I sure hope that don't blow, oh wait, it's already open.

Me thinks it's time to review my cleaning/sterilizing procedures. I'm going to clean out the brew room and toss all the bottles, rarely use them anyway.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by D_Rabbit »

That sucks FIT! Maybe it has to do with the bottling wand or hose. Hope it’s an easy fix.
Howling Husky Brewing Company
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

Tap 1: Mango Saison
Tap 2: Southern Belle Brown Ale
Tap 3: Kings Porter - Robust Porter, 5.6% ABV
Tap 4: Empty :(
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

My deepest condolences FIT! Never easy when good beer goes bad. :(
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged