The No Post Post

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: The No Post Post

Post by mashani »

Damn, sounds like my trip to Boston where I ended up in Salem.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Well kick my a$$ again this summer, I should know better by now, but brewing this again tomorrow https://www.morebeer.com/products/belgi ... llons.html. Going with 2 packs Belle to see if can hit 1.00 was 1.05 last year. The higher temps look good for this week but my basement stays cool, am looking for some low 80's ferment temp.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

If you want to be different next time, try some of this stuff.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/b56-r ... yeast.html

It made amazing beer for me, although it's not going to ferment out to 1.0 like the French Saison will. (maybe not a bad thing in a 1.08 OG beer lol).
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

mashani wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:20 am If you want to be different next time, try some of this stuff.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/b56-r ... yeast.html

It made amazing beer for me, although it's not going to ferment out to 1.0 like the French Saison will. (maybe not a bad thing in a 1.08 OG beer lol).
I guess have never seen that yeast, but read the reviews on it after your post and sounds like a good one. I only came in at 1.076. I have a hard time with that size grain bill on the M&B.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I don'r usually force carb because I don't like wasting co2 and usually only have to wait a week or a couple days more at serving pressure. 1 have done it a with good results a few times before, did it on the Dunkelwei1zen I kegged Friday and was drinking Sunday and drinking on it now.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I was reading some article about breweries having to reduce capacity because they couldn't get enough CO2. And to me that's silly. They are basically CO2 manufacturers. Just capture the damn stuff and re-use it later (If I had a brewery I'd be doing this). Or measure your gravity (which I hope they already are?) and pressurize in the fermenters to force carb in them right then - old school that is - and then just bottle/can the stuff fully carbed. Or let it ferment out and add some more wort. Also old school. Grünschlauchen or Speisegabe. Huzzah!
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

mashani wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:02 am I was reading some article about breweries having to reduce capacity because they couldn't get enough CO2. And to me that's silly. They are basically CO2 manufacturers. Just capture the damn stuff and re-use it later (If I had a brewery I'd be doing this). Or measure your gravity (which I hope they already are?) and pressurize in the fermenters to force carb in them right then - old school that is - and then just bottle/can the stuff fully carbed. Or let it ferment out and add some more wort. Also old school. Grünschlauchen or Speisegabe. Huzzah!
I think there are breweries that have been doing that all along in order to save money.

I suspect that the problem is that when a brewery isn't already set up to do that, it takes time and money to change practices.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

mashani wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:02 am I was reading some article about breweries having to reduce capacity because they couldn't get enough CO2. And to me that's silly. They are basically CO2 manufacturers. Just capture the damn stuff and re-use it later (If I had a brewery I'd be doing this). Or measure your gravity (which I hope they already are?) and pressurize in the fermenters to force carb in them right then - old school that is - and then just bottle/can the stuff fully carbed. Or let it ferment out and add some more wort. Also old school. Grünschlauchen or Speisegabe. Huzzah!
I think Kelia maybe doing something like that with his new equipment. I would have to change a lot of things to do it. The set and forget deal works for me.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I've been long thinking about it, and will probably do it (to some extent) on my next batch.

It will go something like this:
- Fill 5 gallon keg with Starsan
- Put wort into fermenter with blowoff tube going into keg gas post
- Connect QD out to tubing into another 5 gallon keg (if I have another empty, else a bucket)
- Once fermentation kicks in and pushes all the starsan out of the keg, I will have a fully purged keg to rack into
- At that point, I'll remove the blowoff tube and fully seal the fermenter, letting the remaining CO2 be captured/absorbed into the beer
- If I do it right, it I should be fully able to carb the beer and just use a little CO2 to pressure transfer into the purged keg

The only concern here is dropping trub/hops from the conical pre-transfer. When done under pressure, it comes out VERY quickly and sprays everywhere (ask me how I know...)

But, I think if I bleed off the head pressure and then dump, that may work.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Kealia wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:28 pm I've been long thinking about it, and will probably do it (to some extent) on my next batch.

It will go something like this:
- Fill 5 gallon keg with Starsan
- Put wort into fermenter with blowoff tube going into keg gas post
- Connect QD out to tubing into another 5 gallon keg (if I have another empty, else a bucket)
- Once fermentation kicks in and pushes all the starsan out of the keg, I will have a fully purged keg to rack into
- At that point, I'll remove the blowoff tube and fully seal the fermenter, letting the remaining CO2 be captured/absorbed into the beer
- If I do it right, it I should be fully able to carb the beer and just use a little CO2 to pressure transfer into the purged keg

The only concern here is dropping trub/hops from the conical pre-transfer. When done under pressure, it comes out VERY quickly and sprays everywhere (ask me how I know...)

But, I think if I bleed off the head pressure and then dump, that may work.
Let us know how that goes. It sounds interesting and, at least in theory, should work well.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I haven't been posting much lately and don't want you folks to think I went to prison or died or something. The truth is I have been busier then ever since I retired from my real job and running my farm on the side. I did 8 feeder pigs this summer in my barn, had the biggest farm garden since we closed our farm market, been buying and selling wholesale produce and doing a lot of home protects along the way. Oh yeah I still like brewing beer, but haven't in a few months. The board on my M&B burned out and the last batch I made. $40 for it all new and looks easy to replace. Well what I got to say is if you like brewing your own beer and happy with the way it comes out that is good, but if want to stay interested in doing for a long time, then need to try new ways. I am going to try pressure fermentation next.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Our hope is that in 2-3 years when we retire, we move away from hurricane alley, get a nice place in Mississippi and get away from people (I hate people!) The wife already bought 1 horse and wants 1 more. I'll be busier than a french whore but that will hopefully keep me alive longer unless she kills me first or I fall off a horse!
But brewing will still be done..........in smaller sizes since it'll be mostly just for me and friends won't get to it too much.
I'm looking forward to not looking forward. :)
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

This go'na be a long berryman post so bypass if don't want to read, we need some talk on here again. I haven't brewed beer since early August when my M&B went down, I seen it was a cheap and easy fix but lots of stuff happened right after. We have a community pig raising deal for a lot of years and I started it at my old farm that since sold, so the past couple years we had them at another farm between me and my old place, well 1/2 way though raising, his farm got repossessed and 8 pigs had to be gone or would have took them. I only had one of them, but we all had money invested. I had the only place close to housing 8 half grown pigs and my barn was not set up for that so I had to make it work. it kept me busy for a while, all turned out good and we all have pork in our freezers now. So back to brewing, my equipment some was broke and some dirty, slowly getting everything back, I have a new fermenter that I can try the pressure ferment on, but still in the box. don't have everything needed to do pressure ferment yet. The M&B is up and running and cleaning kegs and other stuff now and going to brew a oatmeal milk chocolate stout for the first on new year but will use my old Ss brewtec on that. going to try something different now and brew ahead and get a good pipeline going again like I use to when was bottling and not have to wait until next brew and keg is done. I can do 4 in my keezer and have 5 kegs. The other fermenter will help but want to use that for mostly lagers.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I don't know why, but I enjoy making yeast starters. I just got one going now on the stir plate.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I forgot how fast s-04 works, pitched 2 packs in 1.056 wort.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison