GITCHEE GUMEE BREWFEST

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

woody
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

GITCHEE GUMEE BREWFEST

Post by woody »

well not to Brag but, I just got tickets to the GITCHEE GUMEE BREWFEST in superior wis. on 4-5-14. anyone going to this?
Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: GITCHEE GUMEE BREWFEST

Post by Chuck N »

Yeah. You are.

You lucky dog!

We'll be expecting pics.
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence
woody
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by woody »

ya I suppose I should learn how to down load them to this site. I've got 2 weeks to learn. tell ya what I will start tomorrow with an avatar, I've got to take baby steps, kind of a nubee to this computer stuff .
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

that's the sprit! start small and work up. ;)
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Hey, I'm one of the "veterans" around here, and I consider it a major accomplishment if I can change my sig line! :lol:

I'm not real computer savvy.

Anyway, let's not get sidetracked. You're going to a beerfest, and that's an awesome thing! As someone who's been to a couple myself, let me advise you on some points.

* Pace yourself. Don't try to experience everything at once. They'll all still be there when you get to them.

* Taste the beer; don't just drink it. Smell it. Look at it. Take small sips of it and hold it in your mouth. Let the finish linger on your tongue before taking the next sip. Analyze what you're smelling, tasting, feeling, and whether you like it or not, or whether it's too much or too little. It's important to find beers you like, but it's more important to know why you like or don't like something.

* Remember that, even if it's not something you like, a well-made beer is something you can appreciate. Appreciate them all.

* Drink water between tastings. It'll clear your palate and keep you from imbibing too quickly. You want to keep a clear head and still enjoy the event.

* If possible, talk to the brewery reps. They may just be volunteers with no knowledge of brewing, but sometimes you get someone who knows his stuff; sometimes, with a small micro, you just may be talking to one of the founders/master brewers. Talk to the people in line with you, too. You may meet another homebrewer. Of course, you may also meet a bunch of yabbos who only want to get sh!tfaced, but sifting through the chaff is worth it if you find a couple of worthwhile kernels.

* Have fun. Beer is a glorious thing, and serious brewers/beer drinkers share a certain bond. There's going to be a lot to experience and enjoy at this event, and you'll find more than a couple of friends you didn't know you had.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Old Smokey Amber Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
100 Years War IPA -- Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer
Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Chuck N »

FedoraDave wrote:Hey, I'm one of the "veterans" around here, and I consider it a major accomplishment if I can change my sig line! :lol:

I'm not real computer savvy.

Anyway, let's not get sidetracked. You're going to a beerfest, and that's an awesome thing! As someone who's been to a couple myself, let me advise you on some points.

* Pace yourself. Don't try to experience everything at once. They'll all still be there when you get to them.

* Taste the beer; don't just drink it. Smell it. Look at it. Take small sips of it and hold it in your mouth. Let the finish linger on your tongue before taking the next sip. Analyze what you're smelling, tasting, feeling, and whether you like it or not, or whether it's too much or too little. It's important to find beers you like, but it's more important to know why you like or don't like something.

* Remember that, even if it's not something you like, a well-made beer is something you can appreciate. Appreciate them all.

* Drink water between tastings. It'll clear your palate and keep you from imbibing too quickly. You want to keep a clear head and still enjoy the event.

* If possible, talk to the brewery reps. They may just be volunteers with no knowledge of brewing, but sometimes you get someone who knows his stuff; sometimes, with a small micro, you just may be talking to one of the founders/master brewers. Talk to the people in line with you, too. You may meet another homebrewer. Of course, you may also meet a bunch of yabbos who only want to get sh!tfaced, but sifting through the chaff is worth it if you find a couple of worthwhile kernels.

* Have fun. Beer is a glorious thing, and serious brewers/beer drinkers share a certain bond. There's going to be a lot to experience and enjoy at this event, and you'll find more than a couple of friends you didn't know you had.
In addition to all of these excellent suggestions...

At the last beer fest I attended there were several people walking around with "necklaces" made of pretzels. Just your average, every day "knotted" pretzels on a string and tied in a loop and worn around their necks. I asked one of them where they got them and they said they made them at home and brought them with. Not only did they have something to eat during the fest but the pretzels also cleansed their pallets in between beers.

Genius!
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence
woody
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by woody »

well now, between the pretzels and the water, and the fact they give you only a 3oz glass for samples I should be able to get though about 1/2 of the 120 deferent beers they say they have there. thanks for the info guys. ps I will take pics but getting them on the site is another thing.