Happiness is....

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Happiness is....

Post by FedoraDave »

...coming home from work and seeing your yeast starter with three inches of krausen. It was flatter than a pancake this morning. Grow, you yeasties! GROW!
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Old Smokey Amber Ale -- 100 Years War IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- South Ferry Steam Beer
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Happiness is....

Post by Kealia »

I have nothing to add, except this ---> :banana:
T8rSalad
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by T8rSalad »

T minus 12 hours eh!!! Arizona time of course

Hell, not just my yeast starter either...oh my TMI :redface: :redface: :redface:
L8r T8r

Fermenting: Quiet Kreek Kolsch Deaux, First Pitch Pilsner Ale Trois

Conditioning: Nut Brown Vienna Lager Ale, PilotHouse Pilsner, Johnny Silk's ESB 4th gen, Blue Moon Clone Trois, Fallen Friar Deaux, Arizona Country Canadian Draft Deaux

Drinking & Sharing: Rose's Rambling Red, Blue Moon Deaux, Ruck & Maul Red, American Devil Indian Pale Ale, Quiet Creek Kolsch, Northwest Pale Ale, Golden Czech Pils, Beach Babe Blonde, Grand Bohemian Czech Pils Trois, Diablo IPA+, Columbus Cascading Amber Ale, High Country Gold Lager Ale,
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

FedoraDave wrote:...coming home from work and seeing your yeast starter with three inches of krausen. It was flatter than a pancake this morning. Grow, you yeasties! GROW!
You're ahead of me on that. I washed some yeast for the first time last week ... but I haven't done a starter on it yet. I brewed last night, and pffftttt ... I realized I forgot to do that, and just grabbed a pack of S50.

I figure, and please correct me if I'm wrong ... a couple or three days before I brew, take the washed yeast out of the fridge, and transfer to a sanitized jar with an airlock and a skoach of sugar in it. If it comes "alive", use it to pitch. Is this right?
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

I washed yeast last Friday put it in the fridge pulled it out when I started brewing Sunday, pitched it about 5:30, it was going to town when I got up for work at 5:30 Monday morning. Just wondering if it is really necessary to do a starter? :clink:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Tabasco wrote:
FedoraDave wrote:...coming home from work and seeing your yeast starter with three inches of krausen. It was flatter than a pancake this morning. Grow, you yeasties! GROW!
You're ahead of me on that. I washed some yeast for the first time last week ... but I haven't done a starter on it yet. I brewed last night, and pffftttt ... I realized I forgot to do that, and just grabbed a pack of S50.

I figure, and please correct me if I'm wrong ... a couple or three days before I brew, take the washed yeast out of the fridge, and transfer to a sanitized jar with an airlock and a skoach of sugar in it. If it comes "alive", use it to pitch. Is this right?
Tom, it's a little more complicated than that.

You need to boil some Light DME for 15 minutes. 200 grams of DME for 2000 ml of water, which will give you a good base for your starter. Chill to pitching temp and pitch your yeast. Ideally you should use a stir plate to keep it aerated. But if you shake it frequently, that should be adequate (though not ideal; I did my first starter this way). Two or three days ahead of brew day should be adequate. You want it to krausen and maybe even fall before you use it.

Obviously, keep it covered and sanitized. A piece of aluminum foil sprayed with sanitizer will do the trick. There are videos online that explain and demonstrate it more, and I'd encourage you to investigate them.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Dawg LB Steve wrote:I washed yeast last Friday put it in the fridge pulled it out when I started brewing Sunday, pitched it about 5:30, it was going to town when I got up for work at 5:30 Monday morning. Just wondering if it is really necessary to do a starter? :clink:
Not necessary, as your experience shows. I frequently do 2.5 gallon batches with dry yeast, and just pitch it straight from the packet.

But making a yeast starter from a liquid yeast (or washed yeast) increases the number of yeast cells and will help fermentation, attenuation, and can help you make better beer.

Whenever possible, I like to make a yeast starter, especially for my five-gallon batches.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

FedoraDave wrote:
Tabasco wrote:

Tom, it's a little more complicated than that.

You need to boil some Light DME for 15 minutes. 200 grams of DME for 2000 ml of water, which will give you a good base for your starter. Chill to pitching temp and pitch your yeast. Ideally you should use a stir plate to keep it aerated. But if you shake it frequently, that should be adequate (though not ideal; I did my first starter this way). Two or three days ahead of brew day should be adequate. You want it to krausen and maybe even fall before you use it.

Obviously, keep it covered and sanitized. A piece of aluminum foil sprayed with sanitizer will do the trick. There are videos online that explain and demonstrate it more, and I'd encourage you to investigate them.
Thanks, Dave. I do think yeast likes to eat sugar as much as dme, though ... hence the most common priming ingredient is sugar. Anyway, I finally washed some yeast. I had never remembered to have sanitized jars on hand on kegging day, and one time recently I did. But, it's been sitting in the fridge for weeks.

I tried drilling a hole in the top of a mason jar lid, to put an air lock, but the jagged metal ripped the rubber grommet right apart. I'll seal that up somehow .... Maybe next batch of beer that comes close to kegging day, I'll remember to start the yeast up a few days ahead of time. I'd only bother to "start" washed/recycled yeast. That's the part I'm interested in (yeast that fell to the bottom of the fermenter on the previous brew).
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

There are also videos about proper yeast washing. I've harvested yeast, but early on, I don't think I was really doing it the best way. It's fairly involved, but I think it's worth it if you know you're going to use that yeast regularly.

This particular yeast starter is from WLP001, which I use in at least three recipes. And it's Generation 4 at this point, which is pretty impressive.

I'd recommend the following video for yeast washing. I refer to it all the time, because I need refreshers. :)

http://billybrew.com/yeast-washing
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking: