Northern Brewer Super Structure

Information about Grains and how to use them

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Northern Brewer Super Structure

Post by Crazy Climber »

Has anybody used Northern Brewer's new "Super Structure" LME? Supposed to be a good base for hoppy beers. A blend of 2-row, Maris Otter, and "a light caramel malt."

I've got a Double IPA carbing where I used it -- the bottling sample tasted promising, but I'm just wondering if there's any opinions out there based on finished a product, yet.

For those interested, here's a link to the NB page:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/nort ... r-ipa.html
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
Beer-lord

Re: Northern Brewer Super Structure

Post by Beer-lord »

I wasn't even aware of this but after reading it, it does look and sound like it offers something others don't. I'm not saying it's needed as I would first only grab extract that's fresh. All things equal, I would say this is worth a try for $11.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Next time I order their rye extract (which is very good) I am going to order some of this to play with too. My bet it that it makes good beer if it's anything like their rye custom blend.
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

Update - I've carbed and tested the IIPA that uses NB's Super Structure. I give it a thumbs-up. However, since this is a Double IPA, the hops are the star of the show. So, the malt is simply doing the job of staying the hell out of the way, for the most part. I'm VERY happy with how this IIPA turned out, in general.

I've got another IPA in a secondary right now that also used the Super Structure blend. This one's going to be a tough one to judge by, too, because I'm adding bourbon-soaked oak cubes to it.

Oh well, they sell it as an ideal base for hoppy beers, so I guess given that parameter, it's "mission accomplished" as far as I'm concerned.
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
brewin bull
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by brewin bull »

Crazy Climber wrote: However, since this is a Double IPA, the hops are the star of the show. So, the malt is simply doing the job of staying the hell out of the way, for the most part.
As is damn well should! :rofl:
Carcharodon Brewing
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

Update:

I brewed two beers using Northern Brewer's Super Structure extract. A Double IPA, and an experiment -- a bourbon oak IPA.

Both turned out enjoyable, so I would say this LME is recommended.

I entered both in a regional competition, and both beers did okay. Malt-related comments included "bready" and "crystal sweetness". Granted, I did have some Light LME in both beers in addition to the Super Structure, and even had a little of the infamous Beer Machine hopped DME in one of them, so not all of the malt character can be attributed to the Super Structure.

Just wanted to "close the loop" on this topic. For anyone wondering, I'd say Super Structure is worth a try.
Crazy Climber: