foaming problem

Have a question on how to keg your beer or just want some tips on bottling! Don't stick a cork in it until you ask the Borg!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

zepbrewer

foaming problem

Post by zepbrewer »

here's the question brewers- keezer with 3 kegs, 3 tap tower. all things being equal-hose diameter, hose length, pressure, temp, etc.. the two Perlick ss taps always foam the first couple seconds like pressure is building up, the 3rd tap-an el cheapo i added works perfect. all 3/16 id hose, 6 feet, 10 psi from tank.
fan blowing cold air into tower. tired of wasting a 1/4 cup of brew every time i pour a glass! any ideas?
russki
Russki
Russki

Re: foaming problem

Post by russki »

What temperature is the beer at? I have pretty much the same setup (all Perlick 525SS) and don't have any foaming issues - I keep my beer at 38F. Longer beer lines (10') may help reduce foaming, but they are a pain to replace inside the tower.
In Soviet Russia, beer brews you!
My brews
Fermenting:
Strawberry Rhubarb Wheat (5-gal)(AG)
Cranberry Mead
Buck-Flower Mead
Flanders Red (5-gal)(AG) x 2
On Tap:
Hefeweizen (5-gal)(AG)
Oaked Pear Cider
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

I was just wondering if you had carbonated the three kegs the same way using, rock and roll, set it forget it or crank up the Co2? Using the 12-15psi set it and forget it method would provide the most consistent results as long as the kegs were pressurized for the same length of time as well.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
zepbrewer

Post by zepbrewer »

temp is 35. i use the rock and roll-12 psi while rocking back and forth for 15 min. then 10 psi ( my usual pressure) and wait a couple days to start drinking. built the keezer about 8 months ago. have always had the foaming issue. added the 3rd tap a few weeks ago. one of those tower topper additions and just got the cheap $15 tap, and much to my suprise, it has not foamed yet-right now drinking a moose drool clone thru that one

also, to help clarify-its the initial 1 to 2 second blast, which seems highly pressurized, then it pours fine. if pouring another glass right after, it pour good. wait 10 mins or so, and foam again.
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Is the hose the same type? The tap hose you added may have a thicker wall and expand less.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

I'd just start swapping kegs and taps and see if the foaming switches to another tap.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Screwy's point about switching kegs and lines is valid.

It's all about balancing the system.

If we can ASSUME that everything is equal... (probably not realstic in real life but...

Same beer in all three kegs, same keg styles, same connectors, same hoses, same pressure to all output ports on the dstribution manifold, same temperature for all kegs and lines...

Then the only difference woud be the tap styles...

IF it can be determined that is the case, then I fall back on balancing the lines...

That is, try using a line that s a couple of three or four feet longer on one of the offending taps.

If that works then adjust the second offending tap...

Hopefully that won't throw the third one off but yu should be ok.

:cool:
zepbrewer

Post by zepbrewer »

thanks for the input. next time i open it (its in a hard to open place) i will check the lines. the lines came with the two perlick taps. i ordered line for the 3rd tap, and it was definately thick walled-will compare to the other two that foam. the ipa is almost empty, so i will report findings when i change it out-have a cream ale in the secondary now.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Did the two Perlicks foam before you added the third tap into the equation?
zepbrewer

Post by zepbrewer »

yes, they have always foamed for the first couple of seconds. doesn't matter what style of beer.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I would lay bets on the lines being different, too.
Maybe the Perlicks have 1/4 instead of 3/16? Or maybe they are just different.

I agree with the approach of swapping lines to isolate the issues.
zepbrewer

Post by zepbrewer »

just to update- after comparing, the lines that came with the perlicks are 3/16, but wall is a little thinner. i'm going to replace them the next time i order supplies and see if that helps-also may go to 10 feet.
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Have a look at this too, in case you haven't seen it yet...

Designing a Draught System

:cool: