How you hops growin'?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

How you hops growin'?

Post by LouieMacGoo »

As many of you know I've been traveling a lot over the last few months for work, but I did happen to get one hop plant (Nugget) in the ground and growing that was given to me by the master brewer at Liberty Street Brewing who sponsors our homebrew club. Anyway I'm pretty happy with how well this somewhat neglected plant has done. The cones are just starting to form and it has climbed to about 20' high. I guess I should start thinking about what to brew with these fresh hops! :) :cool:

This first picture was taken on May 17th

These pictures were taken today August 7th
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: How you hops growin'?

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Nice, Louie! From what I have heard is that the first year was a weak harvest, looks like you have a lot of cones. Also these are invasive through the root system, be sure you have the root system captured in some type of containment or the side of your house is going to look like Wrigley Fields wall in a few years.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :clink:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Beautiful!
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I'm green with envy. I am waiting to hear from someone locally who planted some hops and he may even give me some to try when ready but everything I hear is that hops grown in this area suck.
Yours look great!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

Dawg LB Steve wrote:Nice, Louie! From what I have heard is that the first year was a weak harvest, looks like you have a lot of cones. Also these are invasive through the root system, be sure you have the root system captured in some type of containment or the side of your house is going to look like Wrigley Fields wall in a few years.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :clink:
Ya, usually it takes about 3 years until they come into their own. Anywho, that is what they tell me. We have had great 2nd years. Right now it looks like harvesting will be in the 2-3 week time frame. Lab is frantically running samples looking for when the alphas peak and start to slightly decline. So, the party is right around the corner.

Louie, isnt it amazing how fast those puppies can grow day by day ?!?
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

Right or wrong, I don't know, maybe DaYooper will help, but I only let two vines grow from each rhyzone on my first year plants. My leaves have been eaten by beetles, leaves started turning brown a couple weeks back, but I do have some cones. Harvest will vary with type, Williamette being first, Centential second and last Galena, based on readiness. Just getting some smell from the cones now, waiting until they just start to turn tanish on a hop cone leaf before I harvest.
I grew mine in buckets this year, but after harvest, will move each into the grownd, setting up for next year. Any suggestions from the Master?
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

We have never used rhyzones only whole plants so I am of no help here. But in theory it sounds like it would help build up its roots that first and possibly second year.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

My Cascades are doing well, plenty of leaves and plenty of cones. I pulled one yesterday, and split it. I think I'll start picking soon, watching the cones, the weather, my schedule.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

So jelly, Lou! Mine refuse to sprout a single cone. Just a lot of foliage growing up and down.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

I was at the LHBS yesterday picking up ingredients for an oatmeal stout I brewed today. When I was checking out, there was the employee and two others sampling a few beers. Behind me, was a shelf that had a string of hop cones, all ripe and ready. That started the conversation for me, asking if that was the way they were suppose to look when ready to pick. Well, Chris and I had a pretty decent chat, and the employee asked if there was enough beer for me to sample. Stayed and chatted for about 15 minutes or so, leaving with some decent info etc.

Can't get that online...
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

mtsoxfan wrote:I was at the LHBS yesterday picking up ingredients for an oatmeal stout I brewed today. When I was checking out, there was the employee and two others sampling a few beers. Behind me, was a shelf that had a string of hop cones, all ripe and ready. That started the conversation for me, asking if that was the way they were suppose to look when ready to pick. Well, Chris and I had a pretty decent chat, and the employee asked if there was enough beer for me to sample. Stayed and chatted for about 15 minutes or so, leaving with some decent info etc.

Can't get that online...
Very cool story. Agreed - my routine every time I visit my LHBS for ingredients, is to bring one of my beers with me. The LHBS owner is a BJCP judge. Not only do I get feedback without spending $7 for an entry, plus shipping, but it's also interactive. And a lot of interesting tidbits of information can unexpectedly get shared along the way.

mtsoxfan - any insights from your discussion that you can easily pass along to the Borg?

On topic, here's my Chinook cones, getting ready:

Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

We have meetings at the LHBS, after closing, first Tuesday of the month.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

Aside from the interesting chat with the hop passionate guy... it was pretty much to pick when the cone tips start to turn brown, make sure you circulate air on them when drying, the new shoots that you trim are edible, treat like asparagus, don't worry about beetles eating leaves, they will grow fine, (not a proponent of pesticides) he peeled back to layers to show me what to look for (lupin glands) keep lower leaves trimmed to help prevent diseases that are common on east coast.
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Considering mine were planted late and in pots that are most likely too small, I think they're doing great. After the growing tips of the cascades got snapped off my the wind they still ended up about 8-9 feet tall and are really starting to bush out now. Not too many cones yet, but not expecting much of anything this year. Centennials are short (~6ft) but have decent sized cones although only a couple dozen. Really need to get the transplanting area figured out so I am ready to move them in a month or so...
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

My hops are sad and pathetic. I have Mt. Hood and cascade tying to grow in the Hot wet blanket that is FL. Both of them were making progress and then rotted at the base due to the insane wet humidity that is a constant here. The Cascade bounced back reasonably well but I'm still not impressed. It is an ongoing experiment, and it is the first year so we shall see. I am too embarrassed to post a pic.
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"