Homebrewers Bible - Grains

Information about Grains and how to use them

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Homebrewers Bible - Grains

Post by D_Rabbit »

So Made, what I call the "Homebrewers Bible to Yeast, Hops and Grains".

I printed out several pages of info and stuck them in a binder and than I took all the yeasts out there and made a document of them all and printed that and added that to the bible. I wanted to post the links to the Grains and hops here and will attach a word document or pdf file for the hops in the hop thread.

Here is the link to all the different grains along with descriptions of each on.

http://www.onebeer.net/grainchart.html
Howling Husky Brewing Company
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

Tap 1: Mango Saison
Tap 2: Southern Belle Brown Ale
Tap 3: Kings Porter - Robust Porter, 5.6% ABV
Tap 4: Empty :(
Beer-lord

Re: Brewers Bible - Grains

Post by Beer-lord »

Nice......saved. Thanks!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Thanks for the stickies!
:clink:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Gman20
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Gman20 »

thanks man
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Homebrewers Bible - Grains

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Thanks D_Rabbit, Good info!
:clink:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

This is in general great info.

There are things in this document however that I do not agree with - which is not your fault in any way, I know you pulled all this information from other places and consolidated it. So *do not* take any of this personally, it is not meant to be... but I think it needs mentioning before folks totally rely on a document.

For example:

Molasses - Imparts strong sweet flavor.

This is not right IMHO. It imports a strong bitter iron flavor, more so with some types then others. But everything sweet about it ferments out. It only still tastes like molasses sweet if your bill provides enough back sweetening keep it tasting "mollassey". Molasses can easily ruin a perfectly good beer if you use too much. Depending on your taste threshold, too much might not be very much. It works best in sweeter beers.

This is in general true with any kind of sugar adjunct that has a strong flavor and that will ferment fully or nearly fully. The flavors left behind are not what you expect because what you expect is what it tastes like with the sugar still in it... without residual sugar, the taste can be radically different unless your grain bill provides enough sweetness to counter this.

Special B - Extreme caramel aroma and flavor.

I don't think of Special B as providing a lot of caramel except perhaps in the lightest versions which are similar to 120L. If I want a stronger caramel I use 60L or 80L. To me, it really imparts a lot of dried plum/raisin/dark fruity flavors more then caramel. Honestly even 120L crystal and lighter Special B to me provide a lot of dried fruit notes. Too much of it, especially the darker stuff, can produce some unwanted roasty flavors that can really mess up a beer (especially a Belgian) where it is not intended or appropriate. But because of this you can use the really dark stuff instead of chocolate malt if you want those roasty notes like you would get from chocolate malt, along with a boost of dark fruit but have it be a bit smoother then if you used the same amount of chocolate malt.

There is more, I could nitpick this stuff all day, I'm just mentioning it as you might want to go look at some alternative sources, and perhaps read some grain descriptions at MoreBeer or Northern, and see if they jive with your original sources, and perhaps tweak the document accordingly.

I didn't look at the hops one yet, but I probably would have some similar thoughts there, as tastes are subjective and individual.... it won't hurt to pull from other sources and add more detail in any case.
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by zorak1066 »

OO OOOOO! I GOT ONE!!!

brown sugar... when I used it (in a stout of all things) the yeast ate all the sugar and left the molasses which made for a very strange beer. drinkable but way off tasting. today's brown sugar is mostly processed / refined sugar with molasses added in varying amounts. it was like drinking black licorice beer.
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Nice job Dan!

So, as long as we are on the topic of changes... We should discuss how you propose we submit 'adds' a well as updates / changes...

I'm sure myself and other Borg will be happy to assist in finding info!

Some of the grains that are now available (for example Oak Smoked Wheat Malt) are missing...

Same for some of the newer yeast strains (Belle Saison, Abbaye, stuff from some ofthe newer yeast labs) and hop vareties (Austrailian, New Zealand, Japanese, etc)

:cool:
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Great post Dan, thanks for sharing! I've got it bookmarked for future reference, keeping in mind that I've never added molasses or special b to any of my recipes yet. .
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I use Special B often enough. I first used it on an Arrogant Bastard clone. It wasn't AB but it was a damn good IPA.
It's very slightly nutty but I only use it sparingly, like 1/4 to 1/2 lb in 6 gallons. It's perfect in brown ales too!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by D_Rabbit »

Just an FYI, I didn't do anything with the grains or hops besides bookmark it myself. If anyone wants to make a spreadsheet or word document with it and updates some of the characteristics on it than feel free to do so and upload it when you have it done. I just find it useful on occasion for a quick reference along with some of my other tools I use like Beersmith.
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

RickS
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by RickS »

I tried to upload a spreadsheet that I did in Excel, for the grains, but I am not able to upload the file. It says that the file extention is not allowed.
D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by D_Rabbit »

RickS wrote:I tried to upload a spreadsheet that I did in Excel, for the grains, but I am not able to upload the file. It says that the file extention is not allowed.
I was having that issue with the yeast one. beerlord seemed to find a work around to it by changing thr format to .zip instead of the .doc or .pdf and it worked. just have to remeber to change it back after downloading.
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

M42

Post by M42 »

Outstanding! Thank you.
RickS
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by RickS »

Here is D Rabbit's list in Excel format. Change the format back to .xlxs after you download it.
Attachments
Grains.pdf
Make sure to change the extension.
(148.72 KiB) Downloaded 226 times