ginger root in beer? yum? or abomination!

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

ginger root in beer? yum? or abomination!

Post by zorak1066 »

was talking with a guy at work about saisons. he mentioned some of the things he has seen in them, and I got interested in poking around the net. I saw that some brewers add ginger root to their saisons. having recently made my own ginger ale, I can see no place in beer for ginger root. a saison is complicated enough on its own.

so: yay or nay? would you ever stick ginger root in your beer on brew day?
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Re: ginger root in beer? yum? or abomination!

Post by FedoraDave »

I think something like that can easily be overdone, so it would have to be approached with caution and circumspection.

But it wouldn't be the prevailing flavor; it would just be something lurking in the background to give it a little kick. It may not even be perceptible, but without it, the beer would somehow be lacking.

I doubt I would do it myself, but that's mostly because I'm not real big on putting non-grain adjuncts of any kind in my homebrew recipes right now. But I'd definitely give a taste to one if offered.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
100 Years War IPA
Fermenting/Conditioning
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

I used it sparingly in my Mid-Summer Xmas Ale, and I have tried Royal Jamaican Alcoholic Ginger beer. It was interesting, thought maybe the spicy bite I was getting was maybe they used Rye for the base malt, but after reading up on this one in particular it was from the ginger.
:clink:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

Ginger definitely has a place in beers, IMO, but with caveats. It must be used sparingly. And it must complement the base beer.

It seems to me that ginger could muddle a Saison. There's already a lot going on, flavor-wise, in a Saison. They tend to already have spicy/clove-like flavors from the yeast, and the spiciness of the ginger root would potentially be overkill, I think.

One of my beers that gets the most positive comments from friends is a very light pale ale with ground ginger root. It's an old Mr. Beer recipe (Horse's Ass Ale - they might still sell it) that I tweaked a bit. Got a good score in a competition last year with it, as noted in this thread. I used a half-ounce for an LBK-sized batch. Again -- it was used sparingly, and given a role in a beer where it can add to the overall presentation.
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I made dandelion ginger saison with sorachi ace once. That beer was done with Belgian Saison yeast.

I used a ginger/sugar tea mix with what amounted to 24g of ginger in a 2.4 gallon batch if I remember right. At first the ginger overpowered the nuttiness from the dandelion candi syrup, and the lemon vibe of the sorachi and it muddled up the bubblegum esters from the yeast. It was drinkable but not what I really had intended.

With age the ginger mellowed to the point where those flavors started to blend in more and it became quite delicious. But it would have been better much sooner if I had used less ginger. The longer it aged the better it got. I think I drank the last bottle of that batch at 18 months and that bottle was pretty close to "what I had wanted" in the first place.

So I am not going to say "don't' do it". Because it did actually taste quite good once it mellowed. But I will say "do it with only a little bit". I'd use at most half as much ginger if I did it again. 1/4th as much is probably enough. And I'd use a lot more Sorachi then I did. If I did it again I'd dry hop about 2oz of Sorachi to really get the lemon I intended.
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

Yeah I've done Ginger in a Saison. It would be better with Sorachi Ace (Thanks Mash for the idea), but it works ok in a saison. I liked mine. I basically did a dry hop with ginger root. But I didn't use very much maybe 10g (a third of an oz about?)

Monty
Texas Dan

Post by Texas Dan »

I used 10 grams of ginger root 5 minutes (shredded) in a hop sack in a 3 gal batch. Hardly noticeable but worked fine. If I do it again I might increase it to 20 grams but not more..
Fermenting:
Lagering: #41-Klosterbier
Conditioning: #40 Ayinger Jahrhundertbier
Drinking: #33-Ayinger Style Hefe, #34-Klosterbier, #35-Special Märzen. #36-Munchener Helles, #37-Fest Bier, #38-Bavarian Hefeweizen, #39-Hacker-Pschorr Munchener Hell
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

zorak1066 wrote:was talking with a guy at work about saisons. he mentioned some of the things he has seen in them, and I got interested in poking around the net. I saw that some brewers add ginger root to their saisons. having recently made my own ginger ale, I can see no place in beer for ginger root. a saison is complicated enough on its own.

so: yay or nay? would you ever stick ginger root in your beer on brew day?
Yay! I have brewed a Saison with ginger recipe 3 times. Tastes great! Last time I served some up, the ladies were fans of it, the guys were into the IPA I had brought. 21 grams of shredded ginger (5gal batch), added in the last part of the boil; starting at 22 minutes till last 7 minutes.
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel