Fresh Squeezed IPA Clone

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Fresh Squeezed IPA Clone

Post by Kealia »

Checked gravity today (11 days post-pitch) and I'm at 1.015 which is a point lower than expected. It looks pretty clear in the carboy but I stirred up the trub with my 'thief' when I pulled a sample so my hydrometer sample is a bit cloudy. I added somewhere between 1 oz and 1.25 oz of Citra today to a beer that currently smells like orange juice. Yum.

I'm going to give this 3-5 days before I start to cold crash with plans to bottle a few and keg the rest next weekend.
Last edited by Kealia on Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I somehow missed your post.....sorry.
I felt it could use a bit more aroma.
Didn't you and I use slightly different recipes? I guess I should go back and re-read those posts again.
I won't be doing this until late spring or early summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Slightly different but I f-ed up my bittering hops the first time around. Plus, our yeasts were different.
I went with the recipe amounts to set a baseline now that I have everything else correct and since this is the first 5G batch of this I'm doing. As you now, you I can always add more next time but wanted to brew true to the recipe this time.

I remember us all saying last time how impressed we were with the aroma given the relatively low amount of hops in this.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I did go back and read some of this thread. I know I got my recipe from the HBT forum which everyone said should have wheat but I don't recall seeing the recipe from the brewery.
If I do it again, I might not change anything but it was only really enjoyable young and seemed to fade rather quickly.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I finally got to tap the keg last night when I got home and I wasn't disappointed. I'm really pleased with how this turned out and won't be changing the recipe at all moving forward.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Sniff, this keg kicked last night and didn't lose a bit of aroma over the month it was on tap.

I still have about a 10 bottles left, too. Timing is perfect as I'll be kegging my Four-Legged Pale Ale Saturday so now there's room in the kegerator.
RayF
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by RayF »

Im thinking about brewing this one. If you all don't mind. I'd rather brew something someone has brewed, tried, and raved about. I'm not so great designing my own recipes yet. I'm also not a fan of surprises of crappy beer either. I read through this whole thread and the reviews and descriptions made me thirsty!
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Brew to your hearts desire Ray. That's why we post the recipes. So others can share in the fermented goodness!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I'm brewing it again for the third time in the next 2 months. This one is really good early and I think doesn't last as long as some of the other beers I've brewed. It's definitely one of my favorites and is actually pretty close to the real thing.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Hell to the yes - brew it! I actually have two swing top bottles of it left in my fridge from my last brew of this. Keep us posted on how it goes, this is a good one.
teutonic terror
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by teutonic terror »

I know this is a necro post... :redface:

I brewed this beer about 6 weeks ago from the recipe's posted here and from HBT.
I was worried because we had just started getting this beer in my area and I wasn't
really impressed with it. All I got flavor wise was the bittering hops... disappointed. :(

BUT...I really think it is the best recipe I have ever brewed!
I have about a half a keg of it left and hopefully it will hold out til I leave for vacation.
Thanks Kealia and all those that have contributed to this thread.
This will become a staple in my rotation for sure! :)
Pic coming!
Attachments
SAM_1601.JPG
SAM_1601.JPG (72.58 KiB) Viewed 831 times
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Nice! Glad it turned out great for you. There are a lot of fans of this recipe and it's pretty cool to know that somebody else is brewing it, too.
RayF
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by RayF »

Hey gang,

I brewed this one up on Aug. 20, 2016. It came in at 1.063 OG. Cold crashed for 24 hours on the 9th-10th. I kegged it on Sept. 10, 2016. I got a reading of 1.013 for the FG. I'm going to let it sit in the keg at low pressure until Monday the 12th(when I receive my keg hopper thingy) and dry hop with an oz. of citra.

The smell of this beer out of the fermenter is very citrusy and piney! I haven't even dry hopped it yet! The appearance is a nice clear orangish tinted light brown color. I taste tested the hydro sample and it seemed as if this one will be a winner when it is carbed up and conditions a bit. Nice hop/citrus flavor. MMMMmmmMM

Thank You for posting this recipe!
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

RayF wrote:Hey gang,

I brewed this one up on Aug. 20, 2016. It came in at 1.063 OG. Cold crashed for 24 hours on the 9th-10th. I kegged it on Sept. 10, 2016. I got a reading of 1.013 for the FG. I'm going to let it sit in the keg at low pressure until Monday the 12th(when I receive my keg hopper thingy) and dry hop with an oz. of citra.
Cool, glad it turned out good for you! (Well, except for that Citra thing, :( sorry inside joke. :lol: )

Just some information to throw out there in case you've (or anyone reading) have not keg hopped before.

First: I'd up the amount to at least 2oz if its a 5 gallon batch. I've gone as much as 4 in one of those tubes and the center of the mass was still in pellet form. I'd have no problem doing that much again, but I'd shake the keg once or twice a day while its carbing.

Second: Since you beer is already being carbed there is a chance that it will foam up and come out of the keg when you drop the dry hop tube in there. Nucleation points from all the hops and hopper will cause this.
No worries just be aware.
First cut the gas to the keg, spray the top of the keg with Star-San, vent the keg, vent the keg, VENT THE KEG, off with the lid, drop in dry hopper, quickly replace lid (the best you can in the near panic state that you will be in. Unless you've done this many times before. Then you'll only be slightly panicked ;) ), reseat the lid with 30 psi and spray with Star-san to verify no leaks.

Third: If you have not keg hopped before you will think you have ruined your beer when you have your first pour. This is normal. Don't worry, it will calm and be one of your best beers ever.

Please update with your progress.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
RayF
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by RayF »

This beer turned out to be pretty good. Defiantly a rebrew candidate. I only have one complaint. Lol. The Aroma is strange. It has a (Naked) cat pee smell, I think.