Blueberry Wine

Share your wine making recipes and thoughts here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

russki
Russki
Russki

Re: Blueberry Wine

Post by russki »

Btech117 wrote:Thanks Ruski - I did not know :( family has always made small batches since i was a kid

Last night I had a buddy call me he repo'd a storage shed which had some brewing supplies in it. Guess what ... he gave me 2 glass carboys (I think they are 5 Gallon), a bucket with a spout, (doesnt say food safe but was in a box marked BREWING) the lid does not have a hole in it - but i did find 2 air locks. I will get a picture and post tonight - it also has 2 boxes of wine bottles and a few hundred beer bottles with old style capper, a vacume corker, priming sugar, some yeast (i believe is bad looks like from 1990 or later) and some other tubing and stuff related to brewing. I paid 50 for it all hoping i got a good deal.

Is there a beginner wine you would recomend from that site?
That sounds like a nice score! The bucket with a spigot is a bottling bucket; you can ferment in it too. To use it as a primary fermenter, you don't even need an airlock - just place the lid on top, but don't snap it in. For a "beginner" wine, you can also do a wine kit - something like this Tropical Riesling from Amazon. It comes with all the chemicals and step-by-step instructions. Kinda like Mr.Beer for wine.
In Soviet Russia, beer brews you!
My brews
Fermenting:
Strawberry Rhubarb Wheat (5-gal)(AG)
Cranberry Mead
Buck-Flower Mead
Flanders Red (5-gal)(AG) x 2
On Tap:
Hefeweizen (5-gal)(AG)
Oaked Pear Cider
Btech117

Post by Btech117 »

Thanks, I checked out everything and looked up the ingrediance on midwest - They have it all and it would only cost me 20 bucks - The blueberrys at my walmart are less expensive than i thought the whole set up will cost right at 35 bucks (not a problem concidering if i did my math 3 gallons = 15 bottles)

And that bucket and carboys are just sitting on my bar wating to be used - currently have my beer going in MR beer fermenters, So I may be placing an order for the supplys for this and give it a shot.

BTW what is the fermenting temperature for this recipee. I know wines can take more heat than beer, but what about temp flux? Would you recomend leaving it inside (im in nevada where we have cold nights and hot days) right now

Temperature would be my biggest consern right now. Hows yours going?
LBK1 American Porter
LBK2 Empty
LBK3 Empty

Cond American Lager

Bottled: American Classic Light / Summer Seasonal
russki
Russki
Russki

Post by russki »

Btech117 wrote:Thanks, I checked out everything and looked up the ingrediance on midwest - They have it all and it would only cost me 20 bucks - The blueberrys at my walmart are less expensive than i thought the whole set up will cost right at 35 bucks (not a problem concidering if i did my math 3 gallons = 15 bottles)

And that bucket and carboys are just sitting on my bar wating to be used - currently have my beer going in MR beer fermenters, So I may be placing an order for the supplys for this and give it a shot.

BTW what is the fermenting temperature for this recipee. I know wines can take more heat than beer, but what about temp flux? Would you recomend leaving it inside (im in nevada where we have cold nights and hot days) right now

Temperature would be my biggest consern right now. Hows yours going?
Temperature will depend on your yeast choice; Lalvin 71B-1122 is good from 59-86F. I would definitely recommend keeping it inside and minimize temp swings. Pitch 2 packs for good measure - wine yeast is cheap. Make sure you have a 3-gallon carboy to rack to after primary - you don't want any headspace in there, or you can oxidize the wine.

As far as mine goes - I removed the bag of pulp a couple days ago, and will be racking to a 3-gallon better bottle tonight if the gravity is at 1.020 or below. If you don't have a hydrometer, order one (or two) when you get the rest of the supplies.
In Soviet Russia, beer brews you!
My brews
Fermenting:
Strawberry Rhubarb Wheat (5-gal)(AG)
Cranberry Mead
Buck-Flower Mead
Flanders Red (5-gal)(AG) x 2
On Tap:
Hefeweizen (5-gal)(AG)
Oaked Pear Cider
Btech117

Post by Btech117 »

I have the hydrometer i ordered off the mr beer kit - says its good for wine and beer - Also you say no head space? So a 5 gallon carboy wont work?

Did some research .... Got ya 2 - 3 inches of head space once racked into a carboy / better bottle (Found these too) - Well All i got is a 5 gallon carboy...

How many glass marbles fit in a gallon again? :P JK Ill order a better bottle - now do you put the air lock on that as well?
LBK1 American Porter
LBK2 Empty
LBK3 Empty

Cond American Lager

Bottled: American Classic Light / Summer Seasonal
myhorselikesbeer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by myhorselikesbeer »

Russki,
just found this thread, that recipe looks good, mine is almost identical. I am also going to be doing afew smaller batches of elderberry and blackberry as well as a peach since they are in now. I just found a vine of jumbo wild grapes on the property, not sure what kind yet, turning purple and very grapey but still sour. Keeping my eye on them to see if they get sweeter and get them before the turkeys/birds find them.