Latest Ss Brewtech purchases

There are so many gadgets and other stuff you can use to brew! Ask, learn and share what you got here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Latest Ss Brewtech purchases

Post by Kealia »

I now want the 7G size so I'm on the lookout on Craigslist for a slightly larger fridge than I have now so I can keep my temp control. Stay tuned...
Beer-lord

Latest Ss Brewtech purchases

Post by Beer-lord »

I got a cheap freezer from Sears (forgot which brand) and can fit 2 fermenters or 4 corny kegs with no problems.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Kealia wrote:I now want the 7G size so I'm on the lookout on Craigslist for a slightly larger fridge than I have now so I can keep my temp control. Stay tuned...
Not to discourage another beer gear purchase :)
But can't you modify the current fridge? I think I saw a blog where the brewer cut back the hump over the compressor to accommodate kegs. I drilled mine for gas lines. If you only need a little space you might cut out part of the hump and just replace it with insulation, giving you a bit more room. Or you could put a collar on the door giving you the room you need.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Beer-lord wrote:I got a cheap freezer from Sears (forgot which brand) and can fit 2 fermenters or 4 corny kegs with no problems.
I hadn't even thought about the freezer route. I'll have to add that to my Craigslist searching.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

John Sand wrote:
Kealia wrote:I now want the 7G size so I'm on the lookout on Craigslist for a slightly larger fridge than I have now so I can keep my temp control. Stay tuned...
Not to discourage another beer gear purchase :)
But can't you modify the current fridge? I think I saw a blog where the brewer cut back the hump over the compressor to accommodate kegs. I drilled mine for gas lines. If you only need a little space you might cut out part of the hump and just replace it with insulation, giving you a bit more room. Or you could put a collar on the door giving you the room you need.
I had thought about the collar idea but the reality is that I'm just not that handy. The way the current one is built would be difficult to execute (IMO) so I'm ok with spending a few bucks to get what I want. I do appreciate the ideas, though.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

SS Brew Tech sells these things for temp control. You know you want one. Looks like it includes a lid with all the holes drilled.

http://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/f ... -chronical
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I saw that, too. I'm going to stick with the fridge/freezer option so I can:
1) Use the fridge/freezer for other things when it's not operating as a fermentation chamber (I don't always have something going)
2) Use the gear I've already bought (STC-1000, etc.)
3) Limit my expenses since I'll be buying a new chamber of some sort, plus the $200 fermenter already

But again, I appreciate all the options that everybody is bringing to the table.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I am one step closer to getting the 7G Brewbucket now. I finally found a chest freezer that is big enough to hold it, but small enough to not be enormous. Listed on Craigslist for $150. I swung by the seller's place today while out running errands to look at it and it's really clean. I got it for $80 and he's going to deliver it!

So, I should have it in a few hours and then I can get it ready for the fermenter which I will pick up next week from MoreBeer on my way home one day.

Woo hoo!
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

You go boyeeeee!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

That sounds great, I'm eventually going to have to do something like that so I can keep brewing in the summer. I'm currently using a Fermentation cooler from Cool Brewing that does work but requires temperature monitoring and then ice bottles being changed out to keep it cool.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Great score Ron!
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Congrats!

Send me your old crappy 3 gallon one for proper disposal.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Haha, there will still be 3G batches done though, sorry.

And, it's going to become my new bottling bucket for when I bottle 1/2 of my 5G batches - like tomorrow. I'd been keeping an old LBK around for bottling purposes but the small Brewbucket mini is easier to clear, not plastic and just nice all around so I plan on using that for bottling when I need to.
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

I am not sure what you guys are using for the warm side of your freezer/fridge chambers. I almost always ferment at 68* and for about $60 I got a reptile heater and a cheap controller for that. Those controllers only go down to 68* but if you turn the ferm chamber controller down to lower temps it works good. If any of that makes sense
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I use an STC-1000 and for the heat I use a Fermwrap. I've been really happy with both of these.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk