danstar bry-97 yeast

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: danstar bry-97 yeast

Post by Rebel_B »

gwcr wrote:Bringing this thread back from the dead to try to get some more opinions on this yeast. My go to yeast has always been US-05, and I planned on using that in the 6G Twisted Monk refill from BrewDemon. Alas, the LHBS was closed and my other source only had BRY-97. I had read about long lag times for this yeast to get started, but mine was really long. Pitched Saturday night at 64* after re-hydrating per package instructions. Still no activity in the airlock this morning (Tuesday). So this has gone almost 60 hours without any visible activity. Decided to pop the lid off this morning and found the smallest of krausen layers starting to form. Hopefully, it will start to take off now, but I am ready with some backup yeast if needed.

Has anyone else had super long lag times with BRY-97? What has your experience been like?
Brewed up a batch of beer on Monday & pitched some re-hydrated BRY-97. After some 72 hours of no obvious signs of activity, I pitched in a 1/3 packet of more dry yeast, not re-hydrated. Within 6 hours, the whole headspace of the fermenter filled up with krausen! I took a gravity reading, has gone from 1.092 to 1.040 in the 6 days since I pitched the yeast... Really slow start on this one.
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

I have better luck not rehydrating this yeast.
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

This was the first time I had re-hydrated this yeast; never had that long lag time when pitching this one dry...
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I've had up to 48 hours with this yeast and a dry pitch. But never 72 that I recall. It does tend to go nuts once it starts though. I've never made bad beer with it, but not enough "better" that I like having the lag. In my house lag scares me.