Don't German Lagers tast unique now?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Don't German Lagers tast unique now?

Post by Tabasco »

I've been enjoying my homebrew ales (stouts, IPA's, PA's, etc.) for so long now ... and they are all great .

A few days ago I bought a 12er of Bitburger .. which is like Beck's only better. It really tastes so different from anything I brew. Delicious in it's own way, but quite a change. It's a nice beer with a steak, or at a wedding or night out ... but I like American or British syle ales better.

Besides hop selection it must be the type of lager yeast they use.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Re: Don't German Lagers tast unique now?

Post by FedoraDave »

Depending on where it's brewed, it could also be the water profile.

I also prefer the satisfaction of drinking what I brew, since it's mine, and it's custom-made. But drinking commercial craft beer is a nice change. It also gives me ideas on what I might like to try brewing down the road. In fact, my inspiration for Copperbottom Lager was the Muddy Creek Lager that my hometown brewpub, Defiant Brewing Co., features. I wasn't trying to make a clone, but I definitely wanted to make a smooth amber lager with hints of Biscuit.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Littlejohn's Ale -- Crown Top Pale Ale
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
braukasper
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Don't German Lagers tast unique now?

Post by braukasper »

in general I prefer my own brew, another home brewer over commercial brews. As far as German Lagers go I can't wait to see what care packages my dad and I are going to get for Christmas the year from Germany :D
Lebe das Leben. Um in vollen Zügen. Trinken zu Hause brauen!
Live life. To the fullest. Drink home brew!!