How long does Star San last?

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

sgtpeppr56

How long does Star San last?

Post by sgtpeppr56 »

Was going to mix up a gallon of starsan to use for bottling today. Would it still be good to use for brewing tomorrow?

I was gonna keep it in a old gallon milk jug.

Thanks and brew on!
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: How long does Star San last?

Post by RickBeer »

Weeks. Perhaps longer. PH Strips can test it, or you can keep it for 3 weeks, use it in a 2nd batch, then toss it as I do. $.10 per gallon for 2 batches = less than $1.00 per year.

I only mix up 0.8 gallons as that is exactly a teaspoon.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I always keep it for a few weeks, I like to store it in a clean 5 gal. carboy then when I secondary I'm all ready to go, or sometimes I store it in a couple of my LBK's. As Rick said a few weeks should be fine, but much after that you really should test it.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Bluejaye »

StarSan will keep for weeks in a container (i.e. bucket, milk jug). If you have a pH meter, you know it is ready to throw out when it goes above 3.0. I never worry about it because I go through it before that would even happen.

And of course, this assumes you are keeping it clean, and not dipping spoons filled with wart into it, etc.
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

The best way to keep Star San is to use RO water from the store to mix it; it can last months this way as long as you don't contaminate it (i.e. pour used batch back into container).

Star San is effective because it is a strong acid that creates a inhospitable environment for the bacteria etc. we don't want in our beer.

The reason people advise using a PH strip to test the viability of the solution is because minerals etc. in regular tap water can change the PH of the mixed Star San solution rendering it ineffective.

RO water has essentially been "scrubbed" of any potential PH challenges so that the solution will stay unchanged once mixed unless it is contaminated.

If you mix Star San in tap water and it turns cloudy immediately or within a day or so DON"T USE IT your water is "breaking" the Star San and it won't sanitize.

Mix the stuff (with RO water) in large batches; it will encourage you to use more of it and sanitizing is a good thing. If you don't already have one get a chemical resistant spray bottle (Walmart sells them) and have it in the kitchen/brew station so you can zap counter tops, lids, packaging etc. right through the brew session.

Hope this helps.

:cheers:
Sibling Brewers
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

I mix mine 5 gallons at a time in a 7.5 gallon bucket with a Gamma lid on it. Makes it very convenient to access not having to fight a bucket lid.
I've mixed it and still have the pH read below 3 at two months. I use these pH strips to check before I use it. Still have the same bottle of strips that I purchased over 2 years ago.

Careful storing Star San in a milk jug. It is an acid and can weaken the seam and cause it to leak. The jug I had leak had Star San in it for at least a month. Just something to be aware of.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

Inkleg wrote:Careful storing Star San in a milk jug. It is an acid and can weaken the seam and cause it to leak. The jug I had leak had Star San in it for at least a month. Just something to be aware of.

I got a year and 8 months out of my milk jug. I didn't think about the acid weakening the seams, thought I had screwed up.

I make star san up in gallon batches and they typically last 2 brewing and 2 bottling cycles, before I just don't have enough left and have to make some.
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

Ive kept mine for several months. I really dont use that much since I use a spray bottle, and for bottling I prefer OneStep as I tend to make a mess and it is less caustic. Once mixed, OneStep has a limited shelf life and I would not use much longer than overnight, although in the past I did since I did not have this collective wisdom to advise me not to do that. Never had a problem.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company