Gonna try a Kolsch

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Gonna try a Kolsch

Post by FedoraDave »

And I obviously don't know how to make umlauts on my laptop.

But I did a little research on the style and ran some ingredients through BrewToad, and I think this is a good start, at least, and will produce a fairly well-balanced Kolsch-type thing. This is for 2.5 gallons.

3# Pilsner
0.5# White Wheat
0.25# 40L
0.25# Carapils

0.33 oz. Hallertau - 90 minutes
0.33 oz. Hallertau - 20 minutes
0.33 oz. Hallertau - 7 minutes

WLP029 - German Ale/Kolsch yeast

The numbers for color, ABV, and IBU all work within the style. The 40L adds a little color and body, and the Wheat a little extra under-flavor against the Pilsner.

I don't have that much experience drinking this style, and the ones I've had seemed light; even bordering on thin, with flowery or fruity undertones. I'd like to be able to bump this up to five-gallon status and have it around for summertime drinking.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Old Smokey Amber Ale -- 100 Years War IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- South Ferry Steam Beer
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Re: Gonna try a Kolsch

Post by FedoraDave »

Ökay, the gööd thing is, I learned höw to make umlauts. Sö I'm gönna put them ön everything fröm nöw ön.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I do like you and put a lot of thought and research into my recipes, thinking things over and getting a feel for what each malt will bring to the beer and how I'm going to hop it...etc. If this is what you are going for looks like you will have a tasty beer on your hands. The thing with Kolsch though is it's a very simple recipe base and a very subtle and delicate flavored beer. It has a crisp, grainy character with a dry refreshing finish and is very pale gold in color. Any malts to take away from that will alter that balance. A standard recipe could be a full 100% Pils malt, or 95% Pils with 5% Wheat. Others might add a touch, just a touch of complexity with something like 90% Pils, 5% Munich or Vienna and 5% Wheat. These malts would add a malty character to blend with the Pils, without taking away from the character and the finish of the beer. I think Crystal Malts (adding Caramel character and sweetness and a deeper color) might make it a slightly different take on the style. I might dump the Carapils and even .25 lbs of Wheat in a 2.5 gal batch should be just enough.

The hops are a good choice, anything Noble are what to use. I hear Tettnager are great for this style. They have a little zesty, spice to them. And the Kolsch yeast is the most important thing, it just won't be a Kolsch without it. On a side note, what is your brewing water like? Something this delicate really benefits from soft water. At least something very low in carbonates and Alkalinity to get that mash ph right because not much will be there from the grist to do so.

Now you got me thinking of a Kolsch myself. I usually brew one towards the end of winter to have ready for spring.
Last edited by MadBrewer on Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brew Strong My Friends...
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Something else I thought of. I'm not sure what you source for Pilsner malt. But if you can help it, maybe try a true authentic Pilsner malt, there are a few different brands. Something like a domestic Pilsen malt (Briess...etc) just isn't as flavorful or authentic. It could really be a bonus for a beer like this.
Brew Strong My Friends...
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Random things.

The WLP029 will make really good beer at 64-68 degrees. If you have cooler temps then the Wyeast Kolsch yeast is better. The yeast is the most important thing, if you used S-05 like a lot of Kolsch kits offer as a yeast alternative, it won't be as "Crisp". Lots of American breweries "Kolsch style" beers taste nothing like a Kolsch to me because they use their regular "clean" American yeast strain. Clean ale yeast is still not "Kolsch". Kolsch yeast throws off some sulfur like lager strains, which you won't taste as such in the final product, but it's involved in the "crisp" flavor.

Any noble hop is fine, it just depends on what you like. Santium hops makes good Kolsch too, just adds a touch of orange like citrus to the noble hop vibe.

The bit of wheat is fine. But to be true to style, the 40L really does not belong in it. That doesn't mean it will be bad, the last Kolsch I made I used a mix of Munich and Schill Kolsch malt, without any pilsner. The Munich really doesn't belong in mine either in the quantities I used it - like 40% of the grain bill or so - but I was brewing it as a "winter beer" so I wanted more body. And it's delicious. But I wouldn't enter it into a comp as a Kolsch.

Schill Kolsch Malt is interesting to play with. It's almost like you used a mixture of Pilsner with some Vienna. It's darker then Pils malt, so you will end up with a darker then normal Kolsch, but it tastes great.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I added the 40L to darken it just one more rung on the SRM ladder, and also for a little more body and added flavor, but now I'm thinking I might substitute the 40L for Vienna, which may add a more grainy aspect.

While I appreciate the suggestions on authentic Pilsner malt, I'll be frank; I don't really want to go to that extent. Maybe it would be to the detriment of my beer in the long run, but since I'm the only one drinking it, as long as I like it, I'll forego pursuing that level of authenticity.

My water is probably mid-range as far as mineral content and hardness. Again, the only water modification I've ever made was for a Pilsner I did, and even then, it was only to cut my tap water with distilled water. Again, it produced a beer I liked, and that's good enough.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by zorak1066 »

FedoraDave wrote:Ökay, the gööd thing is, I learned höw to make umlauts. Sö I'm gönna put them ön everything fröm nöw ön.

lol... everything??? I dunno... don't think I'd like to eat a hamburger mit umlaut. sounds too fattening to me.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

zorak1066 wrote:
FedoraDave wrote:Ökay, the gööd thing is, I learned höw to make umlauts. Sö I'm gönna put them ön everything fröm nöw ön.

lol... everything??? I dunno... don't think I'd like to eat a hamburger mit umlaut. sounds too fattening to me.
Wüss. :p
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I like a good Kolsch in the spring and have played with a few recipes. I've used Pils with a touch of Munich typically but this last time I used the Kolsch malt from MoreBeer and really liked the subtle nutty flavor it added to an otherwise very clean beer. I've been very happy with the WLP029 and agree with temps recommended.

I can also say that this beer couldn't lager too long. I lagered for about 2 weeks post-fermentation, then bottled and lagered for another month after carbing before even trying one. It was really good. However, the beers that I lagered for 3 months were outstanding! Don't be afraid to put 'em away and forget about them for a while.

And no doubt you'll like what you make, but I'd ditch the Carapils, for my preference. This been should be light, crisp and refreshing and shouldn't feel too heavy at all. I wouldn't add the extra mouthfeel - again, for my taste.

It's always fun to try and new style, so best of luck to you Dave.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll 86 the 40L and the Carapils and use half a pound of Munich instead.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

I've never brewed one but I'd like the idea of adding a little wheat malt along with the Pilsner and Munich.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

ScrewyBrewer wrote:I've never brewed one but I'd like the idea of adding a little wheat malt along with the Pilsner and Munich.
According the BJCP style guidelines, some wheat is acceptable, but not more than 20% of the grain bill.

What I've got, from monkeying around with the numbers, is 3 pounds of Pilsner, 1 pound of Munich, and 0.25 pounds of White Wheat. That keeps the wheat ratio good, and keeps the ABV within the style.

I think my temperatures should be fine for fermenting. Now that December is here, the basement temperature is in the low 60s, which should work nicely. I'll also take the advice to let it lager for a good long time. I want it to be a summer beer, so I'll try some in late February/early March, and see what I think of it. That will give me enough time to maybe convert it to a five gallon batch and have a good supply of it when the weather gets warm.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

You will have a more malty beer then a normal Kolsch with that grain bill, but it should be delicious regardless. 10% Munich would put it closer to "normal", although many would say all pils or only pils + a little wheat is "normal". (Don't get me wrong - I love Munich, so I would love what your making - just saying for style pointers).

WLP029 doesn't like it much below 64, unless you have a huge pitch rate, so if you are more "low 60's" then that, I would suggest you get some Wyeast Kolsch yeast. It's better at lower temps then that, good down to 54 or so even, but is fine at 62.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Well, I brewed this today, and I think it went well. I'm looking forward to seeing what the results are. Even so, I'm intending to try this without the wheat, and bumping the Munich up to at least 10%. Just to see what the differences are.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Well, it seems the fermentation is going slowly. We had a cold snap, and the temp strip reading is hovering around 62 or 63, which is the extreme low end for this yeast. So I'm not getting the crazy activity I got when I used it for the White Panama.

I should mention that I pitched the yeast I saved from the blow-off tube of the White Panama. I didn't make a starter from it, and it was about half the amount of yeast you'd get from a new vial. But I figured it was adequate for a 2.5 gallon batch. So it may take a little longer, but that's okay.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking: