Aged Eggnog

Talk about your mead, cider, peary or anything else that doesn't fit in the other places!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

lindseywinstead
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Aged Eggnog

Post by lindseywinstead »

Although I enjoy a pint of good eggnog anytime of year, it can be particularly satisfying during the holiday season. I recently stumbled upon a fascinating concoction from one of my favorite chef/scientists: Mr. Alton Brown. I have a batch aging in the "caves" and will heroically take on the unenviable task of periodic tastings and report back my findings.

Original text (stolen) borrowed from http://altonbrown.com/eggnog-recipe/:

My Aged Eggnog Recipe
By Mr. Brown
Published on December 5, 2014

The word nog was an Old English term for ale, and a noggin was the cup from whence it was drunk.

Although most Americans think of eggnog as something they get out of a milk carton during the two-week period leading up to Christmas, eggnog descends from sack posset, a strong, thick English beverage built upon eggs, milk and either a fortified wine (like Madeira) or ale. It was a highly alcoholic beverage, often served so thick it could be scooped. It was also very much an upper-class tipple, as rich folks were usually the only ones who could procure the proper ingredients.

Yeah, this recipe has a lot of booze in it, but the longer the nog ages, the more mellow it will get. I’m also super picky about the texture of my eggnog and find that the combination of listed dairy gets me what I’m looking for.

AGED EGGNOG

SOFTWARE

12 large eggs (pasteurized if you need peace of mind)
1 pound sugar
1 pint half-n-half
1 pint whole milk
1 pint heavy cream
1 cup Jamaican rum
1 cup cognac
1 cup bourbon
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (plus more for serving)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

PROCEDURE

1. Separate the eggs and store the whites for another purpose.

2. Beat the yolks with the sugar and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl until the mixture lightens in color and falls off the whisk in a solid “ribbon.”

3. Combine dairy, booze and salt in a second bowl or pitcher and then slowly beat into the egg mixture.

4. Move to a large glass jar (or a couple of smaller ones) and store in the fridge for a minimum of 2 weeks. A month would be better, and two better still. In fact, there’s nothing that says you couldn’t age it a year, but I’ve just never been able to wait that long. (And yes, you can also drink it right away.)

5. Serve in mugs or cups topped with a little extra nutmeg grated right on top.
2thedogs Brewery
Maybe, just once, someone will call me, "Sir," without adding, "You're making a scene." - Homer Jay SimpsonImage
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Re: Aged Eggnog

Post by alb »

Okay, my family comes in the day after Christmas. Normally we test a variety of whiskeys and my brews. This looks delicious, and I think I’ll get a batch going to spring on them this year.
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

I made a batch on Sunday, it’s sitting in bottom of the keezer aging now. It better be good, because it’s taking up valuable beer space!
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

alb wrote:I made a batch on Sunday, it’s sitting in bottom of the keezer aging now. It better be good, because it’s taking up valuable beer space!
Let us know how it turns out!
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
lindseywinstead
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by lindseywinstead »

Tasting Notes: A few loved ones and I sampled the aged eggnog over the Christmas holiday. The batch was two weeks old and the consensus was: delicious! I sampled a bit just after mixing the concoction together. It was quite good but the liquors were up front and immediately evident. After only two weeks, the eggnog is smooth and mellow. You can still taste the liquors, but they are well-balanced and blend nicely with the sweet creaminess of the nog base. One taster was not a fan of eggnog but is always willing to sample one of my experiments. She was pleasantly surprised and announced that she would happily partake in a second glass. A second taster is an infrequent imbiber. She can sometimes be persuaded to enjoy a holiday beverage, and was swayed to try an eggnog which she seemed to sincerely enjoy. It will be challenging to leave the remaining bottles to age, but I shall attempt to sample again at two months, and perhaps beyond. I was very happy with this recipe and would highly recommend it to any eggnog lover.
2thedogs Brewery
Maybe, just once, someone will call me, "Sir," without adding, "You're making a scene." - Homer Jay SimpsonImage
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

I served some tonight (to rave reviews) after 2 weeks aging and I was surprised how much it’s mellowed already. The alcohol is very apparent, but smooth and not abrasive. It could slide down way too easy, I think! :jumpy:

I still have half the batch in the keezer. If there’s any left after New Year’s Eve I’ll taste it once a week and see how it changes.
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.