New Year's Resolution

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

New Year's Resolution

Post by FedoraDave »

I haven't planned any brews beyond my next one, for which I already have ingredients. I'll be brewing it on Tuesday, which is when my winter vacation starts.

But I want to develop new recipes for the pipeline, and explore some styles I haven't really tried. So my mission in 2015 is to make more batches of totally new things. New recipes may also include styles I've done before, such as APAs and blonde ales, but I may try different grains in them, and certainly different hops. New styles will have to be researched and developed, and, of course, those recipes will be new ones, as well.

I'll be looking over the BJCP style guidelines for help and inspiration, and I'm going to try to plan recipes at least two months ahead. I figure every third or fourth batch should be a brand new experience.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Littlejohn's Ale -- Crown Top Pale Ale
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Re: New Year's Resolution

Post by alb »

Since I finally got a real mash tun, my plan is to start AG with some of my favorite recipes. I have 2 extract kits to brew first, then onward we go. My Triple Threat IPA is something special, I can't wait to convert that. I'm not ready for new styles yet, especially the outliers in the BJCP guidelines but I do plan on tweaking my favorites for added fun.
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Have fun Dave, you'll have beer in the end.
Earlier this year is when I really stepped out of my brewing box with Sours and I'm glad I did. Looking forward to your postings and progress along the way.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Sounds like a good plan for 2015 Dave. Most of my batches are one off's...I have recipes I have brewed again and again but they are are usually far between. So many styles to brew, and I like variety I don't get back around to some of my go to recipes but maybe twice a year.

I had some things I wanted to do this past year that worked out well for me. I wanted to enter more competitions, I wanted to do a couple more beer swaps and brew some good dark beers. It was a good year for those things. For 2015 I would like to do similar. Enjoy some beer swaps, maybe a few more competitions for syles I have never entered. Aside from that I want to focus this year on "tightening the screws" on my process. I have made some recent improvements and I want to put those to their full potential. I recently built a stirplate for making starters and I bought an oxgen kit for my wort. Two things that will help make me some better beer. As far as styles, I'm not a huge hophead, but now that I got some good dark beers under my belt with some solid recipes I want to focus on some hoppier beers. In 6 years of brewing I never really nailed down a Pale Ale recipe. I need a good house APA, I do have what I call a Double APA, that one is a solide recipe and an awesome beer. I also want to dabble with some IPA's...another style I haven't really nailed down any of my own recipes for.

Good luck in 2015, happy brewing.
Brew Strong My Friends...
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Thanks, Amy, Jeff, and Mad. I'll be sure to post about what I'm up to (as if anyone could stop me).

Interesting how people brew for different reasons, even though we're all getting beer in the end. Me, I like to drink beer, and I like to have variety in the pipeline, which is why I brew as often as I do, and try as many styles as I do. At the same time, I like the creativity and the learning aspect, and I want to get more variety along the way. I also like the management aspect of it; looking ahead to say, "This beer will be a good springtime beer, so I need to brew it in a week or two," or "If I'm going to have a holiday porter for Christmas, I'd better make it in June so it can condition for four months or so."

I think I'll start off the new year with FedoraDave's American Ale, so I'll have a standard in the keg to begin with, and then look into new styles or recipes for the 2.5 gallon carboys. Maybe a nice Oktoberfest to condition until the fall, so it'll be really nice and mellow!
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Okay, I'm thinking a Scottish Light will be my first new brew of the new year. I'll spend a little time researching ingredients and playing around with recipes, but not only will this be a little less daunting than some of the other styles I've yet to try, but it'll produce a good session beer for springtime drinking.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I stayed with brewing the smaller batches for a long time. I used to brew 3 gallon batches, I used to be able to brew a couple times a week if I wanted to. This was when my 1st son was young (baby/toddler), I was at home with him during the day the wife worked days and then we swapped. I had a lot of time at home with him. It gave me great opportunity to brew on the cheap, and lots of practice with the smaller batches. Just like you said, it helped me brew more often and have more variety and learn a lot more doing so. Fast forward a few years and I now have 2 kids and a much different work schedule. Leaves me very little time to brew. I jumped to 6 gal batches when I started kegging, it only made sense to fill a keg with whatever I brewed. When I do brew I have to make it count.

As far as Scottish Ale, a Scottish 60 is awesome. Great session beer, great tasting beer. A great way to grow yeast too. It's a 1.030-1.035 beer...that's basically starter wort. lol
Brew Strong My Friends...
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Yeah, it seems like a simple enough recipe. Just 3# of Pale Malt and a mere 1.25 ounces of roasted barley. English hops (I chose Goldings; I already use Fuggle in my Trilby Brown Ale), and WLP028 Edinburgh Scottish Ale yeast.

I think the real trick for the success of this will be the fact that I'm going to utilize kettle caramelization on 25% of the first runnings, to concentrate some of the flavor and give it more mouthfeel.

If it turns out to be a pleasing session beer, I'll be very happy.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

Sounds like a plan!
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Oh, it's definitely a plan. Whether it's a good plan, and whether I execute that plan properly remains to be seen.

But the BJCP guidelines mention kettle caramelization as something which contributes to the smoky, peaty flavors.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I do kettle carmalization, or what I call a "pseudo decoction" as a true old school decoction mash can also have the same effect in some beers like weizenbocks. And they turn out great. You just need to be careful not to scorch it when it starts to really get concentrated, if you let it go that long. Depends on how dark you want it.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I'll probably wind up stirring it most of the time and keeping a close eye on it. I figure I'll reduce it until it's the consistency of LME. Since it's a 2.5 gallon batch, I don't think it'll be a large volume, and it should reduce fairly quickly.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Still considering what I'd like to experiment with. I've planned my brew schedule through the end of January, and I've been looking at the style guidelines for inspiration/guidance.

I think maybe a weizen to start off with in early February. I'm not nuts about wheat beers, but I may surprise myself with the result, and I also look at it as a learning experience and a way to expand my horizons. Besides, it's only 24 bottles, so even if it's not my favorite, I won't be stuck with a bathtub full of beer I don't really care for.

I'm definitely going to develop an Oktoberfest recipe to be brewed in April/May, to give it plenty of lager time before autumn. I'm also thinking of an oatmeal stout. Here again, stouts aren't my favorite, and I don't like the longer conditioning time darker beers require, but that's what needs to be done.

There are also variations on certain themes. I modified the 100 Years War with a couple of specialty grains to come up with Groomsman's Pride, so I can always take one of my existing recipes and try new things with it, which would result in a new twist on the style. I'll have to think some more about doing that, too.

2015 will be a year of experimenting and learning.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

New Year's Resolution

Post by Rebel_B »

After reading what you have resolved to do for the upcoming year, I decided it would be a good time to reflect on resolutions from a year ago (check out 'new beers resolutions?' thread). Here is what I resolved to do this year:
'Become proficient at kegging, carbing, bottling from a keg, etc.'
On reflection, I know I successfully achieved that goal.
I don't know yet what I will plan for 2015, but I will post here when I do!
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Congratulations on achieving those goals! I'm getting pretty good at kegging. My main flaw is that I'm impatient; I want to tap that sucker too early, and I probably wind up draining half the keg before it hits its peak. I'm thinking the fact that I'm going to keg Amber's Amber Lager next week, and will be required to let it lager in the keg until at least April, will help with my discipline. Ideally, I'd like to have all three kegs filled at all times -- drawing on two (I only have two taps), and then when one runs out, just switch over to the reserve, and rotate through them that way. Maybe a pipe dream (or a pipeline dream?), but I want to see if it can be done, or at least approached.

As far as your goals for 2015, that's up to you. Whether it's increased production, trying new styles, entering competitions, whatever, I'm sure you'll pursue those goals and continue to enjoy this grand obsession.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest