Northeast Borg sector

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Northeast Borg sector

Post by FedoraDave »

There are plenty of us located in the Northeast US, and that corridor is expected to get a massive blizzard today and into tomorrow.

Stay safe, my brother and sisters. Check in on this thread to keep us aware of what's going on with you, because when one person hurts, the whole Borg hurts.

Me, I'm in the Metro NYC area, just above the Jersey border. It's snowing lightly right now (10:30 am), but we're not expected to get really bad weather and massive accumulations until mid-afternoon. Casa Dave-Guy and Fedora Brauhaus are both hunkered down safe and warm, with plenty of provisions, including homebrew.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Old Smokey Amber Ale -- 100 Years War IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- South Ferry Steam Beer
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Northeast Borg sector

Post by RickBeer »

All of it passed us by, except for the cold (18 with windchill in single digits). Love snow, wish we had received some of it (but not a blizzard).
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I hope everybody is safe and I hope they are wrong about how bad this is.
Check in when you can after it's done to let us know how you all fared.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Good luck...stay safe and warm!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Beer-lord wrote:I hope everybody is safe and I hope they are wrong about how bad this is.
Check in when you can after it's done to let us know how you all fared.
Thanks for the good wishes and the hopes that they're wrong, but I'm going by what NOAA's website is telling me, and they're telling me it ain't gonna be good. They're anticipating "historic" stuff. Nice to know that years from now, I'll be able to sit around in my Depends, with my waistband up around my armpits, saying, "This ain't nothin'! I recollect the Blizzard of 2015! It covered entire buildings up to the roofline, and we had to eat our shoes in order to survive!"
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

We have about two inches of wind blown snow covering the ground now and the blizzard stuff doesn't start until later tonight into Wednesday. So far the worst thing is that the LHBS is closed already and I may have to wait until Friday to pick up my grain.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
myhorselikesbeer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by myhorselikesbeer »

Checking in from NE Central PA....5 inches for now more to come tonight. I just hope the high winds don't make it this far inland as we can easily get 3-4 ft drifts coming across the fields that the ol' IH 340 doesn't like, and neither do I sitting atop her in my carhardts looking like a frozen wookie. :freeze:
Stay safe everyone northeast of us as it looks like you will be getting the brunt.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

ScrewyBrewer wrote: the LHBS is closed already and I may have to wait until Friday to pick up my grain.
NOOOOOOOO!

Wait, it is true. This is from Governor Christie's Twitter feed:

Because of the closing of Screwy's LHBS, I am declaring a state of emergency for all of NJ.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

We're supposed to get about 18". So far, not much, but it only recently started coming down.

The local brewery are troopers. They're normally closed Mondays & Tuesdays, but posted today on their Facebook page:

"As a civic duty to our loyal customers, we WILL BE OPEN TODAY! Roy and Sergio will be filling growlers from 1-6p. Nobody should be stuck in a snowstorm of historical proportions without full growlers!"

:barman:
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Storm totally missed us. Most our snow has melted, making the roads/yard messy. Did I mention it freaking hit 40 degrees today? In ND where we are normally below zero... this weather is absolutely nuts. Sure hope y'all make it through this storm alright, hope it does not get as bad as they are saying.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Well, forecasts are still mixed if you can believe it. We're stocked up and hunkered down. Hopefully I can convince my wife to stay home from work tomorrow.
Meanwhile I put a cathouse in the front yard. Hopefully it will cut down on the noisy nights. I wrapped a five gallon bucket in an insulated bag, and lined it with an old sweatshirt. The ragged orange cat wasn't there, maybe he'll come back. He hardly deserves the kindness after peeing on the steps yesterday. And my cat doesn't like him at all. I hope she doesn't find out that I gave him some of "her" food too. It's just that he sounds so pathetic out there on these cold nights.
Anyway, there's a cathouse in my yard.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Chuck N »

When I was young we would sometimes get two or three blizzards in a year. I can remember at least a couple of them that we got something like three feet of snow. I remember them because it actually caused them to close down the school entirely for a day. Usually it was just the rural kids that took buses into school that got the day off for snow. Back then if the school wasn't open for a certain number of hours it wouldn't get State Funding for the day. So you can see where their priorities were at the time. :(

But all you guys and gals in this ones' path; Stay home, stay safe and stay warm. The rest of us will all be looking forward to hearing from you when it's all done.
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

This one is missing western NY for a change, it's been cold and we aren't getting the lake effect snow now. Was 12 deg this morning and just the usual light snow about a inch or so a day. Sounds bad for the north east coast. Stay safe and take care out there.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Yeah, this one's curling around the Jersey coast and back over New England. It's been mostly quiet for most of the afternoon and evening, but I'll have to wait and see what the overnight brings. NOAA is still forecasting over a foot of snow by morning, but I don't know.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
JimH
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by JimH »

Stay safe Borg friends! It looks like a doosy so I hope you are all prepared and make it safe!
Jimbo Homebrew Co.
----------------------------------------
Drinking:
Keg1:
Keg2:
Keg3:
Bottled:
Nothing!
Fermenting:
Fermenter 1 (5 Gal Bucket): Empty :(
Fermenter 2 (1 gal.): Empty :(

On Deck: