Kiwi Pee (Southern Hemisphere IPA)

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Kiwi Pee (Southern Hemisphere IPA)

Post by mashani »

Another short boil quick extract recipe to fill other LBC.

3.15# Northern Brewer Super Structure IPA Blend LME (2-row, maris otter, and a little bit of 10L or 15L or something like that)
1.25# Wheat DME (head retention, mouth feel, a bit of light extra "grainy sweetness" to temper the hops a bit)
0.33# Dextrose (kick it up a notch)

1oz Each of 7.2AA Motueka, 11.4AA Nelson Sauvin, and 13.1AA Pacific Jade hops.
All mixed together. Then split into 4 1/2oz piles, and one 1oz pile.

20 minute boil
1/2oz pile @20
1/2oz pile @15
1/2oz pile @10
1/2oz pile @5
1oz pile @0, lid thrown on pot.

30 minute hop stand with lid on pot, see recipe I posted yesterday (Steamed Nelson) for reasons.

Cool, chuck into LBC, (hops went in too) pitch full pack of Nottingham, will ferment clean at around 62.

I overshot my volume a bit and ended up with 2.65 gallons at OG 1.067
SRM about 8

Averaged AA of the blended hops is around 10.5, and add 10 minutes of full utilization for every addition due to the way I do the hop stand.

So, IBUs are something stupid between 75-95 depending on formula used at listed AAus and how much of what was in each pile, but I believe I blended them pretty equally. Hops have been in my freezer since November, so will have lost some AAus, but these hops don't degrade fast, so still it will be plenty if not more then plenty.
Last edited by mashani on Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Kiwi Pee (Southern Hemisphere IPA)

Post by Kealia »

This also sounds very interesting. I really need to a few more 30-minute pale ales since I was happy with the results of those.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I've had really good luck with anything from 20-30 minute boils for any kind of beer where I want to notice the hops.

Even beers where you might only want a mild bittering + smaller flavoring addition at 15 or 10 or so and nothing else, you can just use about twice as much hops at 30 minutes and eliminate the 15 minute addition and get a similar flavor result, so if you can find a high enough AA hop with the right flavor profile you can make other kinds of beer like this. I've done pretty good 30 minute Belgians. Not so much the dubbel, that didn't work as nicely as I wanted (el dorado hops left a cherry jolly rancher and "baby aspirin" taste that was distracting, it was "bad cherry/orange" not "good cherry/orange"). But stuff using say a 7% German Tradition or Santium instead of a 3-4% halleratuar or tettenang, that works well as a single 30 minute addition, and then use a late aroma addition only if you want.
Last edited by mashani on Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Oh, I should explain the name... remember I found out that my Waifu thinks Simcoe smells like cat pee? So I told her I was making an IPA, and she said "not cat pee again" and I told her no, I was using New Zeland hops and I don't think they are known for cat pee odors.

So she said, "yeah, they probably smell like Kiwi pee". Hence the name.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

That's exactly what I figured for the name. Made sense to me as soon as I read it.

I've only done 2 of the 30-minute boils, both being pale ales. Both turned out good, I just forgot about the ability to do these.
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

y'all come up with some sick names...kind of like "pecker wrecker" not going to try it, just in case! :lol:
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I've got live action Kiwi Peeing going on. Notty doesn't usually blow out on me when fermented this cool. Fermenter is a bit over filled though...
IMG_0263.JPG
IMG_0263.JPG (88.35 KiB) Viewed 656 times
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Over filled = more beer, right?
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Kealia wrote:Over filled = more beer, right?
Depends on how much it pees LOL.

What should I dry hop this with... that is the next question.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Keeping in theme....Riwaka?
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Hmm... don't have any. Not sure if any LHBS's have it. I suppose I could order some online. I have some Nelson and some Galaxy on hand. But Galaxy sort of breaks the theme LOL.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

My initial reaction was Nelson anyway! I just posted a recipe in Advanced Recipes for the (hopefully) Nelson Bomb I brewed up.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I did end up dry hopping 1oz more Nelson. It didn't *need* it but I had it, so why not.

Bottled at 1.014.

Tasted and smelled massively tropical, with a dopey and piney and dank undertone behind it. But tropical fruit salad is what smacks you upside the head.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Nice. I'm anxious to get back home after a long week of travel and see how mine is doing. I don't expect it to be fully carbed but I'll likely pull a few ounces out of sheer curiosity.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Cracked trub bottle. It's the one on the right. It's good, a mix of musky tropical fruit, with some grapefruit and a mellower underlying base of resin and pine. The Nelson stands out the most but that's likely because I dry hopped with it. It's a lot more complex then the "Steamed Nelson" which is on the left.

I can't decide which I like better - but I think if I had kicked up the hops to 1.5 or 2oz in the Steamed Nelson I'd actually like that one more.
IMG_0332.JPG
IMG_0332.JPG (112.98 KiB) Viewed 590 times