Mr Beer Livestream - All About Hops

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Mr Beer Livestream - All About Hops

Post by Kealia »

Hey guys, I got this email the other day and thought some of you may be interested in listening in. All education is good education, right?

http://www.mrbeer.com/livestream?utm_campaign=Livestream

It starts at 5:30PST today if anybody wants to sign up and join. If I'm available, I may check it out - just for kicks.
It's likely geared towards very new brewers, but who knows....
JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Mr Beer Livestream - All About Hops

Post by JohnSant »

Was just on the Mr. Beer sight the show starts at 5:30 MST.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Interesting, both the email and landing/registration page say:
"We will be hosting our third Livestream event this Thursday, 5/21/15, at 5:30 PM PST"
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Yep, it was pretty interesting. I just watched it this morning at work (currently switching internet providers, so no internet at home till mid next week). It was pretty informative, some I already knew from the forums here but still enjoyed watching it.
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Yeah, they still seem to have issues with little details, like when things start. Sending an email to your entire file that is totally wrong is a real cluster. Doesn't help when Arizona is on Standard Time while most of the civilized world is on Daylight Savings Time.

A good email / banner would have said:

8:30 ET (not D or S), 7:30 CT and 5:30 PT.

People who live in weird places know how to figure things out.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I had it on while I was on the elliptical yesterday so I had something to watch. It was pretty basic but I think that was the right approach for a potentially young (brewing experience) audience. It touched base on a few things like alpha acids, when to add hops and the chart we all used to look at showing what you get at different time additions.

They also brewed their new saison recipe during the show which is a good promo for them and a a good educational way to show new brewers how to do things like add hops in sack. So, I think for it's intended audience they did a pretty good job.

Some of the questions coming through the chat were indicative of new brewers:
How long will hops store?
Can you mix different yeasts with different hops?

Hopefully they are getting good answers from those in the know in the forums over there.