hoppy apple cider

Talk about your mead, cider, peary or anything else that doesn't fit in the other places!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Gman20
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

hoppy apple cider

Post by Gman20 »

there is a recipe for it in the "brew better beer" book. so i figure ill give it a try im just gonna do the gallon tho. it calls to simmer the cider for 30 mins with a lil cascade and then dry hop a lil more to get your hophead fix

i never really thought of adding hops to cider but i see there are some breweries out there that make this. Anyone have thoughts or have tried this?
Foothiller
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented
Location: Northern CA (Sierra foothills) / Interests: BJCP Certified

Re: hoppy apple cider

Post by Foothiller »

I haven't used a process like that, but have added a hop extract to a cider out of curiosity. It was delicious, and I plan to try it more sometime. One thought is that you may just want to boil a fraction of the juice, since a 30 minute boil could lose a lot of the apple flavor.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

You can just heat it to 190 and stop with the hops in at that temp and hold it there. Put a lid on too if you want. You will get full AAU utilization at 190.

That should not boil off the apple aromas so much. Especially if you put a lid on and leave it on while it cools (if you can).

When I made mead, that's all I did, heat up high enough to pasteurize (in that case around 160) and hold for 20 minutes or so, then cool/pitch.

I never boiled mead ever again after the first time I tried that. It was so much nicer without any boil.
Gman20
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Gman20 »

Foothiller wrote:I haven't used a process like that, but have added a hop extract to a cider out of curiosity. It was delicious, and I plan to try it more sometime. One thought is that you may just want to boil a fraction of the juice, since a 30 minute boil could lose a lot of the apple flavor.

yup... forgot to say im just simmering half the gallon of cider,then adding other half after boil