How long does it keep

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

napsternova

How long does it keep

Post by napsternova »

Just out of curiosity, how long will beer last if refrigerated in the plastic BrewDemon bottles? I was discussing it with a friend and he says the brew will only be good for a couple weeks. I am in the process of making the Evil Pilsner and am going to start a new batch right after I bottle it. I am having a Christmas party and would like to have a variety of my home brewed beers.

Thanks all
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: How long does it keep

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

I still have some brews in bottles and still drinking from 14-16 months ago. IPA's and wheats are better younger darker more complex beers benefit aging.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

You absolutely will not have a problem keeping them to Christmas time, especially with nice new caps as long as they are sealed tight. No need to store them in the Fridge, actually room temp would be better or I should say cellar temp around 65-68 deg would be better. Your beer will continue to blend and smooth, and then you could put them in the fridge for a while to settle. If you can wait that long you will have a good beer.... and you have good will power. :)
napsternova wrote: I was discussing it with a friend and he says the brew will only be good for a couple weeks.
I think your friend really wants to drink all your beer up right now ;)
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Dawg LB Steve wrote:IPA's and wheats are better younger darker more complex beers benefit aging.
^This^

The IPAs and Wheats will still be good, but not as good as they were young, hops will fade. Here is some information on storage temperatures. Just remember that everyones circumstances are different on how they can store beer. I keep most of mine around 40-45* after they are carved.

I found some of my MrBeer beers at my FILs fridge, last time I was watching their cat. They were not great, but drinkable and I didn't drain pour them.
I haven't brewed a MrBeer batch since 2011. :o
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Some beer is better earlier as folks said above, but a malty strong beer can be good for many years. And the beers that fade, they just change, they don't become "nasty". I've got stuff that's 2 years old that I enjoy busting out a bottle of once in a while. And that's *not* stored in the fridge, but in my basement. Unless you get a lot of oxidation when bottling, it should last a good long time.

And FYI, I bottle in 740ML Coopers PETs. Not glass. The storage times I'm talking about are in those. The Coopers PETs have an oxygen barrier, they are actually very good bottles. Mr. Beer sells them now, but you can get them cheaper from Amazon or DIYHomeBrew (Coopers other US store before they bought Mr. Beer).

But even the 1L bottles they sell are good for a year of storage. I've done that.
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

The alcohol and hops serve as a preservative. you shouldn't have a problem with 6 months
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

In short, your friend is dead wrong. :lol:
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)