Stout - Split batch with PB and Blackberry additions

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Taz11
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Stout - Split batch with PB and Blackberry additions

Post by Taz11 »

This was a brew from 2 years ago but it is still one of our most talked about beers. I thought it would be an interesting and fun first 'recipe' post. :)

Enjoy!

We had planned a big party on April 20th and my son got the idea that we should try a stout but this time split the batch and experiment by adding fruit to one part and Peanut Butter to the other. Now I'm a huge peanut butter fan but adding PB to a beer did make me a bit nervous to say the least. It was better to split the batch that way if the PB part sucked at least we were only throwing out 2.5 gallons, not 5 gallons.

After a bit of research, we found a couple PB brew recipes with decent reviews so we altered these recipes to fit our brew day. The main thing to remember is you have to use powdered peanut butter, not the store kind because of the oil content.

First, we got the Anniversary Stout Kit from Austin Homebrew
Brew Day - 3/29

Here is the ingredients list from the kit:

Steeping Grains: 155 for 25 minutes
1LB of Crystal 75
8oz Dark Chocolate
4oz Black Roasted Barley
4oz Black Patent Malt

Fermentables:
7 lb Extra Pale Extract

Hops:
1oz Nugget @ 60 minutes
*Edit* Nugget hop package was marked at 13.3% AA, which would have put the IBUs close to 57 according to Brewmate. In order to get the IBUs to around 30, we changed the 60 minute hop addition to .5oz instead of 1oz.

Yeast - Nottingham
Fermented at 67 degrees.
Estimated - OG 1.050, FG 1.015, ABV 4.7%

We brewed this up as shown above with the single hop addition at 60 minutes ( .5 oz ), cooled and split the batch between 2 carboy 6 gallon fermentors. We had already marked the 2.5 gallon mark on each feremtor, so we added water to each batch to get it up to 2.5 gallons ( equal amounts of water were added to each batch ).

OG came in at 1.056 for each batch.

Then we split the 1 packet of Nottingham yeast, half into each fermentor.

Both were put in the closet at about 67 degrees for 7 days.

After 7 days the yeast activity had slowed down so we added the extras to each batch.

Blackberry - 1 Can of Oregon blackberries.
Peanut Butter - 1 container of Powdered Peanut Butter - 6.5oz container.

Stirred both batches and let this sit until bottling day.

Bottling day - 4/12
FG on both batches is 1.008 and had been stable for a few days.

Blackberry Stout - Strained 1 can of Oregon blackberries through a sanitized fine mesh strainer so we got the juice only. This went into the bottling bucket along with enough table sugar for 2.0 CO2 volume level, stirred and bottled.

Peanut Butter Stout - Bottled straight with table sugar to 2.5 CO2 volume level. We had thought about adding more powdered peanut butter at bottling, but for a first shot we went without it.

Capped and set in the closet to carb up.

As expected, the blackberry carb'd up very fast. First taste test was on 4/17, and the blackberry was carb'd enough that we moved it into the fridge to cold condition that day.
Initial taste was not sweet at all but there was a bit of blackberry aroma on the nose and a tart blackberry presence in the beer. After initial taste, the malt then took over with the chocolate and dark malt flavors lingering a bit.

Peanut butter - Sample test on 4/17, carb was low so we let it sit for another couple days. Even though the carb was a bit low the initial taste impression was the beer was good. It was obviously young, but the peanut butter was there in the background of the aroma, as well as in the flavor. It was not front and center which is exactly what we wanted out of this brew. The peanut butter did not overpower but it certainly enhanced the other malts and gave it a complex nutty flavor profile.

Moved the PB stout to the fridge on Friday 4/19.
"All you need is LOVE. All I need is BEER"

KEG 1:
KEG 2: California Common-ish Ale
KEG 3: Payback Porter
KEG 4: IPA
KEG 5:

Fermenting:
1. Saison - Belle
Beer-lord

Re: Stout - Split batch with PB and Blackberry additions

Post by Beer-lord »

Love a good stout and love your avatar just as much. Shine on you crazy diamond (oops, wrong album)
I would think the OG would be a bit higher but I like that you split the batch up to add some variety.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Taz11
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Taz11 »

Follow up with the tasting notes from 4/28.

Blackberry
Aroma - a bit of fruit sweetness in the aroma, with some malt.
Color - Dark on the pour with a dark-red hue around the top.
Head - Good head but a bit overcarbed. The head doesn't stick around to long.
Taste - The blackberry addition served to thin and dry out this beer. Its still drinkable, but there is little to no Blackberry flavor left, and the addition of the fruit just seemed to dilute the malt flavors instead of adding blackberry flavor. Overall, we decided we are not going to revisit this one. There would be to many changes needed to get this to a decent brew. I have a few left that will stay in the fridge for a few months to see if longer conditioning changes this one at all.

Peanut Butter

Aroma - Dark malt with the addition of a light nutty-ness to round it out. No hop aroma
Color - Dark with a light tan ring around the top.
Head - Not to much head unless we do an aggressive pour. Then the head is a nice off white/tan head that shrinks to a thin tan after a few minutes. Not much lacing but I blame the lack of head and lacing on the extremely short carb time. There isn't enough of this left to pull out of the fridge to let it carb any more, so this is one of the notes for the next batch.

Taste - Let me start by saying we already have plans to do this one again. The dark malt hits first but it quickly replaced with a slighty-sweet nutty-ness from the PB which lingers through the low hop-bite finish. After tasting this we agreed that there isn't really much we want to change on the next batch other than let it carb a bit longer ( CO2 is probably fine ) and maybe give it a bit more conditioning time but this is a very enjoyable beer with this short timeline. One thought was to use lactose to make this a milk stout base but i'm hesitant to make to many changes to this one.
Even with the quick turnaround and lack of carb/head/conditioning this was without a doubt the hands down favorite at the last party. Most of our friends were intrigued so they tried it, but then they came back for a second and third bottle because they enjoyed it. Its NOT an overpowering 'Peanut Butter in your FACE' beer. Its a nice background sweet nutty that enhances the malt base without killing it.

The peanut butter lovers may want to add a bit more to taste, but personally I AM a peanut butter lover and this is just about perfect for me.

KEG 1:
KEG 5:

Fermenting:
1. Saison - Belle
Taz11
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Taz11 »

Beer-lord wrote:I would think the OG would be a bit higher but I like that you split the batch up to add some variety.
Thanks, it was a very fun experiment. We have re-made the PB stout twice since then and every time its gone within just a few weeks. The PB2 just lends itself perfectly with the roasted grains. I have no idea how this ages because its never around long enough to condition more than a month.

:)

KEG 1:
KEG 5:

Fermenting:
1. Saison - Belle
Taz11
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Taz11 »

Beer-lord wrote:Love a good stout and love your avatar just as much. Shine on you crazy diamond (oops, wrong album)
Ah, a floyd-ian? love it!

:clink:

KEG 1:
KEG 5:

Fermenting:
1. Saison - Belle
jpsherman
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jpsherman »

Been wanting to use PB2. Good to see successful results.
Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain.
Quaintest thoughts — queerest fancies,
Come to life and fade away:
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today.

– Edgar Allan Poe
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink--Oscar Wilde
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Giggle Squid Brewery
Fermenting:
Barleywine 2016

Conditioning:
Barleywine 8-27-2014 (only drinking on special occasions)

Drinking:
Apple Wine 2.0
Apple Wine 2.1
Jalapeno Ale
Dark Vanner
Dark and Hoppy Night
Liquid Gold
Mad Max
Dundee Ale
Magnum PA

Taz11
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Taz11 »

jpsherman wrote:Been wanting to use PB2. Good to see successful results.
After this experiment, i recommend it. We used all of the normal container of PB2 on this brew and it was just enough to round out this stout. On future brews we used 2 of the PB2 containers as a dry hop on a 5 gallon batch with very similar results.

Enjoy!
:clink:

KEG 1:
KEG 5:

Fermenting:
1. Saison - Belle
jpsherman
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jpsherman »

How do you add your PB2? Just dump it in or do you mix it with some liquid first?
Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain.
Quaintest thoughts — queerest fancies,
Come to life and fade away:
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today.

– Edgar Allan Poe
Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink--Oscar Wilde

Giggle Squid Brewery
Fermenting:
Barleywine 2016

Conditioning:
Barleywine 8-27-2014 (only drinking on special occasions)

Drinking:
Apple Wine 2.0
Apple Wine 2.1
Jalapeno Ale
Dark Vanner
Dark and Hoppy Night
Liquid Gold
Mad Max
Dundee Ale
Magnum PA

Taz11
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Taz11 »

We added it dry directly into the fermentor.

KEG 1:
KEG 5:

Fermenting:
1. Saison - Belle