Oktoberfest

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Oktoberfest

Post by MadBrewer »

I figured with the "other place" going down, I'll post this here. This will be my first Oktoberfest. I have always wanted to brew one and have ready come Oktober. This should give it just enough time to get some lagering and coniditioning before it's ready. Going to have to make some last minute adjustments, the AA's of my hops are actually lower.

Oktoberfest/Marzen

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (G): 6.0
Total Grain (lb): 12.500
Total Hops (oz): 3.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.055 (°P): 13.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.40 %
Colour (SRM): 9.5 (EBC): 18.7
Bitterness (IBU): 25.7 (Tinseth)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
4.500 lb Pilsner (36%)
4.000 lb Munich I (32%)
3.000 lb Vienna (24%)
0.750 lb Caramunich I (6%)
0.250 lb Melanoidin (2%)

Hop Bill
----------------
2.00 oz Hallertau Mittlefrueh Pellet (4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
1.00 oz Hallertau Mittlefrueh Pellet (4% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Actually a flameout addition for 15 minutes at 180*).

Single step Infusion at 150°F for 60 Minutes.
Ferment at 50°F with Bohemian Lager yeast.

Recipe Generated with BrewMate.
Brew Strong My Friends...
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Oktoberfest

Post by BigPapaG »

Looks good MB!

Yeah, I love Hallertau Mittlefrau, but the ones I have seen and used this year have all been low in Alpha Acid... Typically about 2.4! Last year they were running around 4.5!

You know, some Saaz would go well in there also...

But the Hallertau is just fine too!

:cool:
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Yup, I picked up German Hallertau, not sure exactly what they are. They are Hop Union and only 2.7% AA.

As far as Saaz, I thought the same thing. I picked up an oz of Saaz for late in the boil. Saaz should blend well with the Hallertau.
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Tis the season. I'm brewing up an Oktoberfestish this weekend too. The "ish" is because I'm doing it as an ale. Typically I like to brew to style, but the recipe that I got from HBT has rave reviews as an ale, so will give it a shot.
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

gwcr wrote:Tis the season. I'm brewing up an Oktoberfestish this weekend too. The "ish" is because I'm doing it as an ale. Typically I like to brew to style, but the recipe that I got from HBT has rave reviews as an ale, so will give it a shot.
Ever try the Bohemian Laer yeast at 60-65*? Its very clean and is actually more lager like than Ale at those temps. It works really well for a hybrid. The Dry yeast versions are really good too. Mangrove Jack Bohemian Lager is a dry yeast and its just as good as liquid IMO. Im a dry y3ast user except for a few special batches. I brew on the fly and I dont have time to plan starters and re-pitch yeast. But honnestly there are so great dry yeasts out there.
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

MadBrewer wrote:
gwcr wrote:Tis the season. I'm brewing up an Oktoberfestish this weekend too. The "ish" is because I'm doing it as an ale. Typically I like to brew to style, but the recipe that I got from HBT has rave reviews as an ale, so will give it a shot.
Ever try the Bohemian Laer yeast at 60-65*? Its very clean and is actually more lager like than Ale at those temps. It works really well for a hybrid. The Dry yeast versions are really good too. Mangrove Jack Bohemian Lager is a dry yeast and its just as good as liquid IMO. Im a dry y3ast user except for a few special batches. I brew on the fly and I dont have time to plan starters and re-pitch yeast. But honnestly there are so great dry yeasts out there.
Haven't tried that one. I'm a dry yeast user too. Just so much easier. My go to for a clean profile ale yeast has always been US-05 at 64*. Will have to see if my LHBS has the Bohemian Lager yeast.

Thanks for the tip!

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Defenitely easier. Dry yeasts fits my schedule.
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

Sorry to hijack, but would you mind sharing that recipe? I did a "mocktoberfest" Ale last year as well, and am always looking for a good recipe.
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

MadBrewer wrote:
W-34/70 works pretty well at 65°F and temps in and around there as well.

I have also had good success with it at 70°F (ish)... Slightly fruitier but still very acceptable as a lager.

:cool:
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Ibasterd wrote:
Sorry to hijack, but would you mind sharing that recipe? I did a "mocktoberfest" Ale last year as well, and am always looking for a good recipe.
No problem. Credit for this one goes to Ed Wort at HBT. First time for me making one of his (or anyone else's) recipes. Some modifications made for my equipment profiles.

Type: All Grain
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Boil Time: 70 min
Est Original Gravity: 1.065 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.5 %
Bitterness: 21.9 IBUs
Est Color: 9.2 SRM

Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 1 39.3 %
5 lbs 8.0 oz Vienna Malt (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 39.3 %
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 14.3 %
8.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.6 %
8.0 oz Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.6 %
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 13.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 5.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 3.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 9 -

Single Infusion Mash 154* for 90 minutes.

His original recipe used a Kolsch yeast. I have US-05 plugged in there for now, but will see what the LHBS has. Not sure why he has a 90 minute mash. Probably just to ensure complete conversion. Other than that, pretty similar to MadBrewer's. Might be a great time for a swap of the finished products to compare... :idea:

Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

gwcr wrote:His original recipe used a Kolsch yeast. I have US-05 plugged in there for now, but will see what the LHBS has.
I suppose that I'm most interested in what yeasts are possible or successful with an Oktoberfest ale. My last time around I used Dusseldorf Alt Yeast WLP036. Was thinking of giving Notty a try.
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

GWCR...if this turns out decent come the fall Ill surely be up for a swap. :)

I have never used the 34/70 but it is rumored to be the same as the Bohemian strain and I have heard its also great.

Notty would be my fkrst choice for a Lagerish beer other than using Lager yeast. I have used US-05 at 50* with a huge pitch. It would have fooled you for a lager once it was done.
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

I think I used Notty on my Oktoberfestive-Ale.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

That last Cream Ale I did had both a lager and an ale yeast in it. I used S-05 and W-34/70 and held the temp at 65. Wonder if that would work for you here? I am considering doing that in an IPA actually.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

BlackDuck wrote:That last Cream Ale I did had both a lager and an ale yeast in it. I used S-05 and W-34/70 and held the temp at 65. Wonder if that would work for you here? I am considering doing that in an IPA actually.
What about using something like this?
WLP080 Cream Ale Yeast Blend
This is a blend of ale and lager yeast strains. The strains work together to create a clean, crisp, light American lager style ale. A pleasing estery aroma may be perceived from the ale yeast contribution. Hop flavors and bitterness are slightly subdued. Slight sulfur will be produced during fermentation, from the lager yeast.
Attenuation: 75-80%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-70°F
(18-21°C)
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium High
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged