Other fermentation?

Nothing goes better with a home brew then a good home made meal. Have a special food recipe you would like share or a food pairing with your favorite brew. Let the Borg know here.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Other fermentation?

Post by bpgreen »

I've been getting into other kinds of fermentation lately.

A while ago, I learned about kefir, bought some, decided I liked it, for some grains and started making my own (much cheaper and probably better for me as well).

Eric Shepard (esheppy) posted about making yogurt in a crock pot. That weekend, I found a yogurt maker for something like $10, so I decided to go that route (although I often use the crock pot to do the initial heating).

I've recently started eating kim chee and miso, but haven't tried making those yet. I also bought some tempeh, but it was fully cooked.

I'm planning to buy starts to make tempeh and natto. Our maybe I'll buy some tempeh and natto that's active and make my own starters.

Doed anybody else ferment stuff other than beer, wine, gruit and mead?

If anybody is interested in making kefir, let me know and I'll send you some grains.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Other fermentation?

Post by The_Professor »

I have thought about doing a small batch of sauerkraut or fermented veges to see what I get.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

The_Professor wrote:I have thought about doing a small batch of sauerkraut or fermented veges to see what I get.
What other veggies have you considered fermenting?
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

bpgreen wrote:What other veggies have you considered fermenting?
After reading and watching some YouTube videos, it seem almost anything is up for grabs.
Asparagus or hot peppers with garlic, onion or such sounds good.
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

I do peppers a fair bit. Been looking at kombucha just to try making once. At the Yazoo funk fest last year, Sandor Katz spoke (fortunately right in front of my pouring station). Fascinating dude. I highly recommend his blog: http:// www.wildfermentation.com

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I've done hot sauce and kimchee and cabbage/kraut/pickles. And I did fish sauce once. But I decided after that once, that I'd rather just buy it and pretend I never did that.

I've also make cheese. Although lately I tend to make simple curd cheese or Paneer (Indian kurd cheese that is pressed until it's somewhat firm and dry).
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

There's a similar thread here

I made cheese when I was in high school, using rennet. I've also made labneh from yogurt and/or kefir.
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

bp was kind enough to send some kefir last year. We did it or about 6 months, but couldn't keep up. Life got in the way.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

I used to make a lot of kimchee, had a righteous recipe. Sadly, lost the recipe along with lots of others in the several moves since I've made it. It had lots of flaovr and heat... man the heat, would light you up. With my stomach problems I now have, I dare not try making it again. I don't think it's called fermenting (?) but I can/pickle alot since I have a large garden.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Nothing else here but I do occasionally help my MIL make wine from her fruit trees. Her (lack of) sanitization procedures kill me but that's another story for another time.

I do enjoy some kimchee on occasion - especially kimchee balls! (Imagine fried rice with kimchee coated in Panko crumbs and deep fried).
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Kealia wrote:I do enjoy some kimchee on occasion - especially kimchee balls! (Imagine fried rice with kimchee coated in Panko crumbs and deep fried).
I'll get over it........but I hate you right now. Because man that sounds fantastic and I don't have anywhere to get it. I enjoy kimchee, Hook's Tilston Point cheese and crackers. What a flavor combo ride.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Hahaha, I've only ever had them twice from a local food truck but they were amazing. I just did a quick Google search and there are some tasty looking recipes out there, though. I may have to try one at some point.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

MrBandGuy wrote:bp was kind enough to send some kefir last year. We did it or about 6 months, but couldn't keep up. Life got in the way.
My sister buys kefir on a regular basis. I told her how easy it is to make and she responded that it's even easier not to make it. She just buys it at the store. I cringe at the price difference, but if you don't have the time, you don't have the time.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I bought some natto today. 4 packages for about $3.

I'm going to try some tomorrow and if I like it, I'll get some soybeans next weekend (I'm assuming I can get them pretty cheap at a farm store) and use one of the remaining packages as a starter to make more.

I've bought some tempeh from Trader Joe's, but it's fully cooked, so I need to buy some tempeh starter to make my own.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

bpgreen wrote:, I'll get some soybeans next weekend (I'm assuming I can get them pretty cheap at a farm store) and use one of the remaining packages as a starter to make more.

I've bought some tempeh from Trader Joe's, but it's fully cooked, so I need to buy some tempeh starter to make my own.
What are you making with the soybeans? I can get all I can haul for free straight from the fields. I can also get all I can hall of corn/wheat/barley. I've thought about getting barley and try to malt some at home but I don't know how this GMO crap in the fields around here would do.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!