Simply Simarello

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Re: Simply Simarello

Post by Beer-lord »

From everything I've read, it does work. I got tired of seeing, 'biotransformation' so much but somehow, some way, I think there's something there. My last version stayed hazy the whole time but I did keg hop it and the aroma stayed almost till the end.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Bringing this back from the dead just because I like to bore people.
Re-brewed this today and made some minor changes to my previously changed recipe. I didn't have enough Simcoe for the dry hop addition so I subbed Centennial and a little Nugget.
For the base malt and crystal, I'm using Proximity Malt. It's both a tiny bit sweeter yet maltier to me. I really like it the few times I've used it. Sometimes just using a different malt changes the complexity enough to make it stand out from my usual 'house' flavor.

This time I'm using Imperial Dry Hop yeast since I like the way it really lets the hops shine a bit more than Chico does. Each of the other 2 times I used it, it definitely helped the aroma to come out.
For yeast geeks:
Dry Hop is a blend of A20 Citrus and A04 Barbarian. When this blend goes to work on your hoppy beer, the hop aroma blows up. The combination of these strains produces amazing aromas of citrus, peach, and apricot that will accentuate your IPA, pale ale, and any other hop-driven beer.

This blend contains a strain that tests positive for the STA1 gene via PCR analysis and is therefore considered to be Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. diastaticus.
For anyone still playing along, the updated recipe is here: https://share.brewfather.app/dRuf9yBqfsoH6d (this is still in metric because they can't seem to fix it) so I've attached a pdf.
Attachments
Brewfather_SimplySimarello2020_20200621.pdf
(151 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Does that yeast blend attenuate highly? Usually a var. diastaticus would be like that.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

mashani wrote:Does that yeast blend attenuate highly? Usually a var. diastaticus would be like that.
Based on the 2 times I've used it, I've gotten attenuation in the mid 70's. It was kicking off in just about 4 hours.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black