Lager yeast at ale temps

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Lager yeast at ale temps

Post by BigPapaG »

Manufacturer Recommended Yeast Temps for some of the strains discussed herein:

ALES:

US-05: 12°C-25°C (53.6°F-77°F) ideally 15°C-22°C (59°F-71.6°F)

S-33: 12°C-25°C (53.6°F-77°F) ideally 15°C-20°C (59°F-68°F)

Nottingham: 14° to 21°C (57° to 70°F) with good tolerance to low fermentation temperatures (12°C/54°F) that allow this strain to be used in lager-style beer.

LAGERS:

S-23: 9°C-22°C (48.2°F-71.6°F) ideally 12°C-15°C (53.6°F-59°F)

W-34/70: 9°C-22°C (48.2°F-71.6°F) ideally 12°C-15°C (53.6°F-59°F)

WLP800: 10°C-13°C (50°F-55°F)

WLP830: 10°C-13°C (50°F-55°F)

WY 2124: 8°C-22°C (45°F-68°F)

WY 2565: 13°C-21°C (56°F-70°F)

:cool:
Foothiller
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented
Location: Northern CA (Sierra foothills) / Interests: BJCP Certified

Post by Foothiller »

A friend who is a pro brewer was intrigued that I use S-23 in the 60-65 range for steam beer and said he would try it. I haven't heard if he actually did and what his results were. But since then he has said he got great results using S-34/70 in the 60-65 range for steam beer and kolsch.
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

Beer-lord wrote:I plan on playing around with using a true lager yeast but at the bottom range temperature of an ale yeast. I've listened to podcasts and read lots about it and plan to try it but with a bigger beer just in case I get too much of an off flavor.
So, anyone try this and have some pointers?

I don't really want a steam beer or common but towards a more Pilsnery direction. I thought 62-65 is high enough that I don't need to do much of a d-rest or lagering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I did this with a brewing kit gift from my daughter, an All Grain 1G Amber Lager recipe kit using S-23 yeast. I was kinda nervous about it, but checked the yeast's temp range and the Ale temps that I normally ferment at were still in it's range, although at it's upper part. I was more or less aiming for a steam or common beer type, it turned out fine as it tastes like beer..
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

HerbMeowing wrote:
MadBrewer wrote: ... listed to perform well at Ale temps (around 65*) and that is the Bohemian Lager strain. It's Wyeast 1224
Did you then lager the beer at cold temperatures for at least three weeks?

Fermenting in the L60s wouldn't be too difficult for me but cold lagering would.

---
Been thinking about brewing a poor man's lager lately given cooler wx is on the horizon.
No lagering. I kegged it up like a normal batch and started carbonation. It got it's conditioning time after that, I didn't let it lager before hand. I have used the Bohemian strain in the low 60's (60-62*) and also at 65*. Both times were great, no big difference between them with the difference in temps.
Brew Strong My Friends...
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Great stuff guys, I appreciate the input.
All the podcasts say pretty much the same things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I like S-23 warmer then colder. I pretty much use it 57+ degrees only. Low 50s or < it actually gets more fruity and weird.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Today I'm brewing a Cali Common and plan to ferment it using White Labs WLP810 - San Francisco Lager Yeast™ at 64F. White Labs provides the following information about this yeast Temperature Range: 58°-65° F (ABV 11%) High Floculation - Attenuation: 65-70%. I am using a lager yeast pitching rate, about double the cells we'd use for an ale yeast. I have used this pitching rate about a year ago and fermented at 65F and liked the results. I have to admit I do a D-rest for ales as well as lagers because using a temperature controller makes it a piece of cake.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

mashani wrote:I like S-23 warmer then colder. I pretty much use it 57+ degrees only. Low 50s or < it actually gets more fruity and weird.
Totally agree and this is the reason I avoid the strain altogether. The fruitiness is nice if intended, but if I'm looking for flavor impact from the yeast I'll just make an ale, right?
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Never could get the S-23 to work out well for a lager. I have heard it's better at warmer temps.
Brew Strong My Friends...