Back to the bucket

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Back to the bucket

Post by Gymrat »

Today I cleaned 3 empty kegs. That is just wrong. I have got to fill all three of those kegs up. Anything else would be blasphemy of the holy brewer. So today I picked up a new ale pail. I have a Red Ale fermenting in my conical. So while I am on vacation this week I am going to go ahead and brew a whiskey porter. Next weekend I will keg my red ale and the weekend after that I will brew a scotch ale. That way by the end of October I should have all 3 of those kegs full and 3 partially full kegs in my kegerator right now should be all the beer I need until spring when good brewing weather begins again.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Re: Back to the bucket

Post by FedoraDave »

I hear ya. Today, just after I kegged a batch of Amber's Amber Ale, my keg of Rye-Guy IPA spewed its last. So I'm down to two kegs (and only one capable of being drawn). It'll be another three weeks before I can fill the third keg, and by then, I'll probably have another empty one.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Old Smokey Amber Ale -- 100 Years War IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- South Ferry Steam Beer
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

FedoraDave wrote:I hear ya. Today, just after I kegged a batch of Amber's Amber Ale, my keg of Rye-Guy IPA spewed its last. So I'm down to two kegs (and only one capable of being drawn). It'll be another three weeks before I can fill the third keg, and by then, I'll probably have another empty one.
A brewer's work is never done.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

My kegs are all empty now but I have 10 gallons of California Common Beer ready to be kegged next weekend. Until then there will be no homebrew to drink.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

ScrewyBrewer wrote:...Until then there will be no homebrew to drink.
Whatever you do, do NOT sit on a street corner with an "I Need Beer" sign!
If you're lucky they just throw empty cans at you. Anyone that bothers to stop punches you in the face.
I don't know what the world is coming to, it seems reasonable to me.
Take my advice and just pick up a 40 of Olde English.
:)
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one that this happens to. With some recent brewing I was able to fill 2 kegs so I have two carbing with the other two sitting empty. I hope to fill a 3rd soon with the RCE brew (TBD).
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

The_Professor wrote:
ScrewyBrewer wrote:...Until then there will be no homebrew to drink.
Whatever you do, do NOT sit on a street corner with an "I Need Beer" sign!
If you're lucky they just throw empty cans at you. Anyone that bothers to stop punches you in the face.
I don't know what the world is coming to, it seems reasonable to me.
Take my advice and just pick up a 40 of Olde English.
:)
FIRST: ^^^^^ :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Second: I'm trying to figure out if this is a pipeline problem or a kegging problem. If you can't see what is in the kegs you don't know when to start a new batch?

It seems like you are agreeing that having available fermenters is problematic because they are all full and you run out of ready beer; but you are all also keggers?
Sibling Brewers
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

Hefe. Bitter. Mild.

All 2 week turn around beers. Done!
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Brewbirds wrote: Second: I'm trying to figure out if this is a pipeline problem or a kegging problem. If you can't see what is in the kegs you don't know when to start a new batch?

It seems like you are agreeing that having available fermenters is problematic because they are all full and you run out of ready beer; but you are all also keggers?
Yep, I keg but the problem with me isn't the lack of ability to see into the kegs for planning purposes. It's been just a lack of time to brew in general.
brewnewb
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by brewnewb »

I failed (again) at proper keg planning.

3 taps and 6 kegs in my house. Four 2.5 gallon kegs are bone dry. One of my 5 gal has an Amber Ale that tastes bad and should be dumped. The other 5 gal just got kegged last night. I have 2.5 gal of cider ready to keg this weekend.

The only saving grace is that on 3 of my last 4 batches, I've been kegging half a batch in the 2.5s and bottling the rest. I do have a decent supply of bottled homebrew in the fridge to hold me over.

I need a better setup. 3 kegs should always be on tap and I should have an extra fridge with the other 3 on CO2 held in reserve, constantly rotating as needed.

Hopefully, Santa Claus :tree: is reading this thread and will solve this issue in a few months.
Thirsting For Knowledge