I Phones

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

I Phones

Post by haerbob3 »

What does the BORG think of these and the networks that support it. We are thinking of change to I-Phone next month. So what are your experiences??? Let us know!!!
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: I Phones

Post by RickBeer »

I don't use fruit...

That said, Android phones offer things iPhones don't:

1) It's not Apple.
2) Most, if not all, allow you to change the battery. iPhones do not.
3) Android is the #1 OS for phones, and will only continue to grow.
4) Lower cost.
5) Multiple tweaks to OS.
6) It's not Apple.

We have the Samsung Galaxy SIII. The SIV is nice also. HTC One is current top phone out there, but HTC has had recent huge drop in market share, while Samsung is surging.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Trollby
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Trollby »

Not a fan of iPhones.

I have Android for personal phone and iPhone for work (use to have Android for work, but bosses like Apple so we were forced to switch)

The apple is great if you like limitations and like apple to pick what you can do with your device (unless Jail-Break phone).

Before I had Android for work and many app's available to do my job for free. Once changed to apple these apps not available or are pay only. So I don't use them any more
CyberCop Brewery
LBK #1
LBK #2 -
LBK #3 (GF)
LBK #4 -
Pilot Keg

Drinking:
The Jen Stout
Belgian Dubbel
Blueberry Pomegranate Mead
Linda's Hard Cider
Lemon Wine (Hard Lemonade)
RCE - Bock

Conditioning:
DoppelWine
Blueberry Mead
NW3C-IPA
Brew #62 Lawn-Mower Pilsner
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I finally got one and like it but don't think it's any better or worse than others.
I'm on Sprint which is somewhat cheaper but I don't get 4G but don't seem to need it here.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

We have 2 iPhones and 2 Androids in our household. Personally, I am an Android user and don't see myself making the switch to an iPhone. That said, my Android is primarily used for work as a phone (whodathunkit), text machine, and texas holdem time waster. My wife and one of my sons would have the opposite opinion as their's also double as a music box. Functionally, I think you have more options on Android.

Networks are a different story. I have US Cellular, and have never had signal issues anywhere I need to be. Our iPhones have Verizon, and there have been some signal issues from time to time. Really depends on the coverage map for each network in your area.

After all that, YMMV. :D
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

RickBeer wrote:I don't use fruit...

That said, Android phones offer things iPhones don't:

1) It's not Apple.
2) Most, if not all, allow you to change the battery. iPhones do not.
3) Android is the #1 OS for phones, and will only continue to grow.
4) Lower cost.
5) Multiple tweaks to OS.
6) It's not Apple.

We have the Samsung Galaxy SIII. The SIV is nice also. HTC One is current top phone out there, but HTC has had recent huge drop in market share, while Samsung is surging.

i'm gonna go out on a limb here. some how i get the felling you don't like apple. ;)
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
evily
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by evily »

I'm an avid iPhone/Apple user (which may make me unpopular around here :razz:), and have been for over a decade... BUT, with that said, Android is a perfectly fine OS, IF (and that's a BIG IF) you get a good phone. Some of them are utter crap. If you go with Android, just make sure to research and get a high quality device, because if you don't, your OS experience will suck.

It all comes down to personal preference. Get whatever you're most comfortable with and meets YOUR needs. :cool:
~*~*~I like big beers and I cannot lie!~*~*~
Foothiller
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented
Location: Northern CA (Sierra foothills) / Interests: BJCP Certified

Post by Foothiller »

I can't compare iPhone vs Android since my work provides the iPhone, with ATT service. But the iPhone is an essential tool in my pocket. I have had times on business trips or vacation when wifi was not available or was inconvenient, when I was able to get by for a few days without my laptop.
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

I have always been a Mac computer guy, in fact the Mac in LouieMacGoo comes from that. I have Mac Computers at home and wouldn't have it any other way. I also have an iPad that I love for the convienence factor of not having to boot up the computer to surf the web and check email. I also owned the Apple iPods before I got a "smart" phone.

I have 3 daughter that all have iPhones (4, 4s and 5) and my wife has a iPhone 4s and they all love their phones because it allows them to do what they want to do on it! With that said I have an Android, the Droid DNA! This is my 3rd Android phone and I love it. It is 10 times a better phone then older Androids I had because the OS is so much more mature then it used to be. Also I love having a 5" screen. it makes it that much easier to see. The iPhone only has a 4" screen and it makes a huge difference when your talking phone size and screen real estate. Also like Rick said you can do a lot more on an Android to customize it to fit your needs and work better for you. The iOS from apple you have to buy in both figuratively and litterally into the workflow no matter how it works for you (good or bad). As for battery life all of my girls struggle with getting thru the day with the iPhone, but I don't think this is typical since they tend to be heaver users of it then most normal people. Many or the Android phones (Motorola Moto Xcomes to mind) can get you thru a day plus of normal to moderate use without having to plug in.

Removable battery are becoming a thing of the past on many of the newer Android phones (Moto X, HTC One, Droid DNA) so that might be mute point.

Good Luck
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

I cann't imagine trying to read this, or surf/read anything on a dinky screen! I have a hard time on a large screen... LOL. I love my flip-phone. I will never have one of these internet phone thingys regardless of who/what makes them.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Bluejaye »

I don't mind either the iPhone or one of the thousand Android phones, both can make phone calls. :) But one thing that totally sways me against owning an iPhone is its mandatory usage of iTunes and a half dozen other bloatware programs that has to get installed on my PC in order to use it to its fullest. Just keep that in mind.
Trollby
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Trollby »

Bluejaye wrote:I don't mind either the iPhone or one of the thousand Android phones, both can make phone calls. :) But one thing that totally sways me against owning an iPhone is its mandatory usage of iTunes and a half dozen other bloatware programs that has to get installed on my PC in order to use it to its fullest. Just keep that in mind.
Amen to that!

In fact at work we could not setup our phones at first since you needed to input a CC to activate iTunes and no one wanted to use their personal CC since the office stated we could not use our work issued CC to activate iTunes.

We got the work around with setting up a "Free" (say limited) apple account on work PC's (IT department had to install iTunes on work PC's) THEN activate using those accounts

Was a pain in the ASS for work environment
CyberCop Brewery
LBK #1
LBK #2 -
LBK #3 (GF)
LBK #4 -
Pilot Keg

Drinking:
The Jen Stout
Belgian Dubbel
Blueberry Pomegranate Mead
Linda's Hard Cider
Lemon Wine (Hard Lemonade)
RCE - Bock

Conditioning:
DoppelWine
Blueberry Mead
NW3C-IPA
Brew #62 Lawn-Mower Pilsner
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I do enterprise development for both.

FWIW, if your work is developing it's own iPhone apps for internal use, they can be distributed directly from the web to your phone outside of an app store / itunes, *if* your company spends $200/yr to set up an enterprise account / certificate and publishes your internal apps using that certificate and a manifest that you can build to go along with it. Once set up you just click on a link and *poof* your app is on the phone, no need for iTunes on a PC/Mac to get the enterprise apps installed.

From a purely development perspective, I find iThingies easier to deal with when users start to ask for "features" that fall outside of a typical mobile app paradigm (I don't ever want to touch my PC!) which enterprise users tend to always do, at least the ones I deal with. This mainly because iPhones have far less variations to deal with both in OS versions/quirks and form factors it will just get worse. This falls into the "good phone" that was mentioned, there are far too many device specific forks of Android OS, especially on older phones and "outlier" manufacturers - and some old phones just can bite me... if an enterprise wants to provide Android phones they should just go with a high end Galaxy phone and be done with it and not let people use their shitty old phones IMHO.
haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

Thanks for the Gal & Guys. For myself I am pretty sure I will be sticking to the Android platform. We get the best coverage with Verizon here. What I am mainly looking for is a phone with the best camera possible. Something that is easily carried in a pocket. Also the phone would need to have good built in WI-FI adapter. There is no cell connections in the Bakeshop ate work but good WI-FI

Thanks!!!
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

haerbob3 wrote:Thanks for the Gal & Guys. For myself I am pretty sure I will be sticking to the Android platform. We get the best coverage with Verizon here. What I am mainly looking for is a phone with the best camera possible. Something that is easily carried in a pocket. Also the phone would need to have good built in WI-FI adapter. There is no cell connections in the Bakeshop ate work but good WI-FI

Thanks!!!
Samsung Galaxy S3. Love it.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)