Looks like no brewing for awhile...

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Stinkfist
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Looks like no brewing for awhile...

Post by Stinkfist »

Hey guys...Seems I have herniated a disc in my neck...C6-C7 pretty good. The numbness and pain in my left arm, shoulder, chest and left leg is no good...

Got a beer all set to be made(My Poor yeast is going to go bad...), but have been pretty much unable to do much for the last few weeks....Went and got a cervical epidural spinal injection on Thursday and it had zero effect on me... I am afraid surgery may be in my near future...

Anyone else have a similar issue have any advice or anything? Really not looking forward to surgery, but continuing as it is does not seem like an option either...

:dead:
Third Eye Brewing

Since I am too lazy to update this every brew...I will update with list of awards ;)

2013 Upper Mississippi Mashout
Gold medal 10A American Pale Ale
Bronze medal 10B American Amber Ale

2012 Upper Mississippi Mash out
Silver medal 3B European Amber Lager Oktoberfest

2012 National Homebrew Competition First round
Gold Medal 3B European Amber Lager Oktoberfest

2012 Minnesota State Fair Homebrew Competition
Gold Medal 3B European Amber Lager
Gold Medal 10A American Pale Ale
-3rd place Overall!
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Looks like no brewing for awhile...

Post by The_Professor »

Stinkfist wrote:...Seems I have herniated a disc in my neck...C6-C7 pretty good. The numbness and pain in my left arm, shoulder, chest and left leg is no good...
What the heck happened, Stinkfist? That sounds pretty bad!
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

Here I have been patting myself on the back for getting back to brewing after health issues and here you are doing the flip side of that.

The wife has disk issues in her back and has for years. She was told back then she needs an operation, but refused. The doctor told her she will be back when it hurts enough. She has managed so far.

I say don't just manage through. Get it fixed, Stinky one. Living with pain is no way to live. Shop around though. Don't jump at one doctor's opinion.

You think a chiropractor could do any magic with it?
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

PT. In addition to exercises, spinal decompression via a traction table helped me, but doctor and physical therapist had to decide that. Anti inflamatories for weeks. Mine is much lower though. Inoperable.

Edit - do your research, many studies re: surgery show that it's rarely better than not getting it. Could not pay me to have a chiropractor touch it.
Last edited by RickBeer on Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Had the lowest 2 discs herniate in 2001, bulged into and pinched off my sciatic nerve, muscle spasm so bad showed up on xray, pain all the way down my leg it felt like someone was pounding my big toe with a sledgehammer. It took 4 months going to chiropractor to become straightened out and pain free, KNOCK ON WOOD, my back is still ok. Was told and know people who have had back surgery, if you have one back surgery you will have a minimum of 4 by the time your done. DO seek other opinions and other courses of treatment.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I hope it's not as bad as it sounds and you get better much faster.
Is there a local beer club around that can brew the beer for you? You can share it with them if they can.
All the best in getting better fast.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by JohnSant »

Had surgery a few years ago on the lower back. After two screws and overnight stay at hosp. went home with a 1 inch incision and took about 4 weeks to recoup. feels a whole lot better now. I wish you well on what ever you decide. :flag:
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I don't know where those discs are located but a guy I used to work with hurt his neck/back up high that left his shoulder and arm in pain and numbness. He went in and had a small procedure done with a tiny insicion, was back to work in no time. Hopefully that's the case for you. Technology and surgery these days is pretty impressive.
Brew Strong My Friends...
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Hope all goes well for you!!

Both of my parents and my father in law have been through back surgeries. My parents are doing great, my father in law, well, not so much. The difference in my eyes is the exercises. They were all given exercises and stretches to do daily after the surgery. Both my parents followed it to the letter and are doing great. My father in law has decided he doesn't need to to the exercises and he's miserable. It's his own fault at this point.

So...if you do have surgery and they give you an exercise regiment...follow it.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Stinkfist
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Stinkfist »

Thanks guys, I have moved my next appt up to tomorrow see what they have to say this time, I am assuming the next step is he will send me to a neurosurgeon too discuss my options..I have been reading a lot about the surgeries and does not seem to be any middle ground, either it worked great after recovery or you are screwed for the rest of your life. The one good thing is it in my neck so those usually do not require you get more surgeries like the lower back since the neck does take as much weight.

I have heard and read that the chiropractor is s terrible idea for a herniated disc, nothing they would do would help and can make it worse.. Just what I have heard though.

My biggest fear is it is not only blocking the nerve to my left arm and shoulder it is also pinching the spinal cord, and I have lost quite a bit of feeling in my left foot and is getting worse...that can cause permanent nerve damage if I wait too long.

Anyways will just have to wait and see it has been getting progressively worse for the past 4 months...started with I thought I was having a heart attack due to the pain and pressure in the chest and the left arm numbness. At least my heart has been ruled out.
Third Eye Brewing

Since I am too lazy to update this every brew...I will update with list of awards ;)

2013 Upper Mississippi Mashout
Gold medal 10A American Pale Ale
Bronze medal 10B American Amber Ale

2012 Upper Mississippi Mash out
Silver medal 3B European Amber Lager Oktoberfest

2012 National Homebrew Competition First round
Gold Medal 3B European Amber Lager Oktoberfest

2012 Minnesota State Fair Homebrew Competition
Gold Medal 3B European Amber Lager
Gold Medal 10A American Pale Ale
-3rd place Overall!
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

When I herniated a disk in my lower back years ago, the morning after I did it my entire left leg was numb to the point where I fell on my face getting out of bed. Nerve pressure in the back, nerve wrapping down my leg to my foot. Parts of the leg fine, other parts numb. Back of the foot fine, front numb. I could push down with my toes, but not lift up. Over 3+ months I went to PT, including traction table (i.e. stretching spine so disk pops in). Slowly it started to get better. Back surgeon sent me to a test where they put a wire into the muscles of my leg, and "read" the electrical energy that was there. The tech said "you hurt yourself X weeks ago, and you'll be healed in Y weeks". I laughed, he hit the first number on the head, but it was in my chart. Went to the surgeon who read the report and looked at the MRI. I asked if I'd be able to ever ski again. He said, "yes, in Y weeks". Lo and behold, both hit it on the head.

From time to time I re-injure it. Takes a few weeks (with advil around the clock) to a few months to go away. When I am tired, my leg has some numbness issues. When I don't do exercises, and I'm awful about consistency, I notice more problems.

Don't push for surgery - make sure you get multiple surgical opinions.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Sorry to hear this and wishing for a speedy recovery for you.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
JimH
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by JimH »

Sorry to hear that!

Get well soon. The beer will be there when you get well, but health is priority one. I wish you the best!
Jimbo Homebrew Co.
----------------------------------------
Drinking:
Keg1:
Keg2:
Keg3:
Bottled:
Nothing!
Fermenting:
Fermenter 1 (5 Gal Bucket): Empty :(
Fermenter 2 (1 gal.): Empty :(

On Deck:
Something?!
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

I hope you recovery quickly and relatively painlessly.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I hope they find a solution for you that works.