My future way of brewing

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

My future way of brewing

Post by Beer-lord »

I know I won't be able to brew like I'm brewing now in 10 years......well I might but I'm already old and it's not getting easier.
So, I can see that one day I'll be brewing with something like this:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... =discovery

Pico Brew is cool even though it does take some of the fun out of it but in the future, these will be in homes like microwaves.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: My future way of brewing

Post by Whamolagan »

Yeah right, another gimick that will sit after 1-2 brews. I am sure the refills will not be cheap. And hey B-L I will come and help you in 10 years if you cant lift 5-6 gallons. Age is in the eyes of the beer holder and at $2000 I think I could figure something out
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Beer-lord wrote:
Pico Brew is cool even though it does take some of the fun out of it but in the future, these will be in homes like microwaves.
You know what Paul? I thought the same thing when I read it... It's the microwave for the new millennials!

Here's the problem I have with that though...

Although I know the limitations and benefits of a microwave oven, and how to use them properly...

I see too many people just throwing anything in there as though it's just water, and hitting start, using the highest power level and basically killing whatever they throw in there in the interest of saving time or just not knowing or caring how to properly use the power at their fingertips!

I shudder to think of folks with no knowledge of the brewing art or process just pressing a button to get "beer"... Pedestrian beer, at best.

We had better make a PicoBrew (and other automated methods) section on the Borg now to attempt to save all these upcoming beer souls...

:borg:
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Couldn't agree more Papa.....their loss.
I'm sure by the time I'm ready to give up the hard work, my options will be much, much better.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Geezz I'm thinking that I may not be able to drink as much as I brew 10 years from now.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

In the future you will make a glass of beer with a 3D printer. It will "print" both the glass and the beer in it.

Any hard core brewers will still have the option of using the 3D printer to print the hops malt and yeast if they really wanna do it all.
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

The_Professor wrote:In the future you will make a glass of beer with a 3D printer. It will "print" both the glass and the beer in it.

Any hard core brewers will still have the option of using the 3D printer to print the hops malt and yeast if they really wanna do it all.
LOL... But the 3D printed water needs adjustments... It's too hard!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

BigPapaG wrote:
The_Professor wrote:In the future you will make a glass of beer with a 3D printer. It will "print" both the glass and the beer in it.

LOL... But the 3D printed water needs adjustments... It's too hard!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Your 3D printer in the future just needs calibration and all will be fine.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Whamolagan wrote:Yeah right, another gimick that will sit after 1-2 brews. I am sure the refills will not be cheap. And hey B-L I will come and help you in 10 years if you cant lift 5-6 gallons. Age is in the eyes of the beer holder and at $2000 I think I could figure something out
That machine is $599, not $2000 like the full blown Zymatic. So that's kind of ok. BUT:

"Each PicoPak will cost between $18-30, depending on ingredients. And each PicoPak brewed will produce about fourteen 12oz beers. This means that each 12oz beer you consume costs you between $1.30-2.15. "

So... I brew 5 gallon batches for that much. So yeah, the refills are not cheap. And it looks like you have to buy them that way, even if you develop your own recipe using their developers kit (which requires a full blown picobrew too).

EDIT: Looks like they might have some kind of designer web site later too, but still you have to go through their system and get all ingredients from them, because there is no way to get the recipe into the device without doing so.

"I tasted two beers beer created by the machine ... and both were a huge step up from any home brew I've ever tried. They tasted like craft beers I would pay money for." -CNET

Um.... you had sucky homebrew dude.

“The coolest thing about the Pico, though, is how you actually brew the beer” –Bloomberg

Um... you just push a button?

Really - for ~$500 price, I might consider getting an automated AG system, but only if I can put whatever I want in it / build my own recipies without going through their marketplace and buying/building ingredient bundles/refills and getting them from that one place. That's kind of BS in my book. IE if it was more like the Zymatic but at that price point. That would be about my sweet spot. But getting my ingredients from whoever/wherever I want, building my own recipes, I will not give that up. Having it do the step mash/boil for me - sure I have no problem with that. I don't think of that as "cheating". Folks with programmable RIMS systems do this (except for throwing in the hops by hand, but ... so what?), and we don't think of it as cheating, just a cool rig.

EDIT EDIT:

I actually find this system more interesting, as it doesn't have the issues I have with this pico thing.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/brew ... -brewery#/

But it's too expensive.
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

I'm thinking the future will be some sort of Kuerig K cups for beer. You'll make your craft beer one glass at a time.

Honestly, I'm thinking the future might be a brew partner. You have the hardware and the knowledge while your partner does the heavy lifting and you teach the hobby. Share the beer.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

These new brewing systems are not targeted for the homebrewer. They are targeted for those that want to produce a craft beer at home. We cant' look at them and compare the system to brewing how you do now, for the cost that you do, with the flexitbility and control that you do...it's not an apples to apples comparaison. There is no comparison it's a totally different system and set up.

I have no interest in one but I'm sure many do. Maybe those that don't have the time, space, or passion for brewing in the sense that WE know it as homebrewers. Maybe others will purchase it just for the novelty, for the simplicity. There's a market for everything and everyone out there. The people buying this aren't worried about the cost of the refill packs or that you can brew x amount more for that money. It's just a different market, mindset and setup.
Brew Strong My Friends...
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

It is $500 now I thought In read somewhere this is some kind of kickstarter price, regular price is supposed to be around $1000. I can see what Paul is talking about actually happening, this gets used 3-4 times and put in the attic or garage and be found in garage sales for $50.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

If I found one in a garage sale for $50, I'd buy it and then try to hack the RFID reader to be able to program my own recipe/schedule.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Yes, it's $499 and will be selling for $999 when it goes to market. It uses these "bags 'o ingredients" just like a K cup maker, and if you want to make your own it seemed like you have to have them put it in the bag for you.

To me, this is the idiot way of brewing, whereas at least the outrageously priced PicoBrew Zymatic is really brewing beer, you just don't have to use pots and stuff. I expect they haven't sold tons of them due to the $1,999 price, and are discovering service isn't all that fun (shipping units back).

What gets me is that instead of believing in their product and lining up investment money to prove it's value in the marketplace, they put it on KickStarter. 1,375 backers (but the number of units is really 1,254 units due to what else is offered (including refurbished Zymatics...). Sounds impressive until you realize that isn't $250,000 in product sales and is likely barely over $100,000 in costs. They couldn't find $100,000 in business equity or loans to do this?

I don't get people pledging money in November to receive something in April - or later. But that's just me.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

If I could get an acutal Zymatic for ~$500, or the device I linked above, I'd do it. But not the coffee maker, unless/until it fully supports zymatic like brewing. Or if I found it in a garage sale, as something to get all geeky with and hack at it.