Spent grain recipes/techniques

Nothing goes better with a home brew then a good home made meal. Have a special food recipe you would like share or a food pairing with your favorite brew. Let the Borg know here.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BlackDuck

Re: Spent grain recipes/techniques

Post by BlackDuck »

Wow...that's a good looking pizza pie right there.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

I got lucky and found a farm that takes all the spent grain I can make. They use it as compost when they are not feeding it to the pigs and chickens and ducks, etc.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Whamolagan wrote:I got lucky and found a farm that takes all the spent grain I can make. They use it as compost when they are not feeding it to the pigs and chickens and ducks, etc.
If you want (and have time), if you're not cooking with the spent grain, you can just spread it on your lawn. It's a mild fertilizer and a source of organic matter. 20# of grain (dry weight) per 1000 sq ft would be about the same as a normal fertilizer application.

What I don't eat gets spread on the lawn, the garden, or the hops.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

The pizza turned out very good. Approved by all. I'll keep that recipe handy and continue to make spent grain pizza, since it really added a lot of texture and flavor.

Next I think I'll make those grain bars Kealia posted. Those look really good!
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Was at Bed Bath and Beyond and found a kit of 30 cookie cutters, has dog and dog bone in it, really the only one I was looking for was the bone one. Saved about 10-12 cups from Saturdays brews and am going to make dog treats for the family and friends dogs. With the others shapes make some grain treats for the wife and myself too.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

bpgreen wrote:
Whamolagan wrote:I got lucky and found a farm that takes all the spent grain I can make. They use it as compost when they are not feeding it to the pigs and chickens and ducks, etc.
If you want (and have time), if you're not cooking with the spent grain, you can just spread it on your lawn. It's a mild fertilizer and a source of organic matter. 20# of grain (dry weight) per 1000 sq ft would be about the same as a normal fertilizer application.

I don't have a lawn, and my dads dog eats everything ( including plums off the trees). Also, I don't want to attract the coons, rats mice, because when that happens the coyotes start showing up again. On the up side, I get to go to bitchen parties a couple times a year. The just had a harvest party and cooked both of their pigs (patsy swine and piggy smalls) didn't even have to bring beer.
I might add some to my dirt when I make it up for my garden and see. What is the longevity of the fertilizing effects. I.E. horse manure has a very steep curve, whereas steer manure has a low curve. How often do you spread it on your lawn?
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

Whamolagan wrote:
bpgreen wrote:

I don't have a lawn, and my dads dog eats everything ( including plums off the trees). Also, I don't want to attract the coons, rats mice, because when that happens the coyotes start showing up again. On the up side, I get to go to bitchen parties a couple times a year. The just had a harvest party and cooked both of their pigs (patsy swine and piggy smalls) didn't even have to bring beer.
I might add some to my dirt when I make it up for my garden and see. What is the longevity of the fertilizing effects. I.E. horse manure has a very steep curve, whereas steer manure has a low curve. How often do you spread it on your lawn?
These days, I mostly eat my grains, so I no longer spread them on the lawn. I've also transitioned to a lawn of mostly native grass, so I don't need to fertilize.

If you spread it on the lawn, it's a slow release fertilizer (as is the case with most organic fertilizers). You can spread it as often as you want without risking burn (since it requires biologic activity, it's always slow release and can't burn). It's probably lower in N than either horse or steer manure and the release of N is likely slower as well.
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

That is the answer I was looking for, once again thanks BP
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I'm making the grain bars from Ron's recipe earlier in this thread. Didn't add any nuts or fruit; just made the base recipe. I wanted to see how it stands up on its own, and tasting the base recipe might give me some ideas. And my wife and son wouldn't want to eat them if they had raisins in them, or possibly even if they had nuts in them.

If we like them, we can discuss adjuncts for future batches. They smell great while they're baking! Almost time to turn them.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

The grain bars turned out great! Next time I'll probably roll them out a little thinner. But the wife and I were already discussing what things we can add to them. She thinks sunflower seeds would be great, and I want to try raisins and cocoanut (neither of which she will eat, so I'll have to split a batch).

But I could see myself making these on a regular basis.

Thanks for sharing the recipe, Ron.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I can't wait to try this myself. My next batch will be in a week or so, that's when I'll get it going. Dave, did you do anything special to the grain like dry it out? Or did you brew this morning, then do the bars this afternoon?
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I brewed that morning and made the bars in the afternoon.

I dried the grains out on a cookie sheet in the oven at 200*. I didn't dry them out completely, just about 90% or so, so there was still a little give in them.

My wife told me I have to make these every time I brew, and I'll be making double batches; one for her (she likes to eat them for breakfast) and one for me (I like to have a couple in the evening if I'm in the mood for something sweet). Again, I'll be adding things to them to make different tastes, and I'll be rolling them out thinner, too.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Awesome, thanks. Can't wait to give these a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Glad they worked out Dave. The addition possibilities are limitless.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Yes, interestingly, when I ate the plain ones, I kept imagining what they'd be like with raisins or coconut, or one thing or another added. This may become a staple in our house, and I'll be refining my technique as I go. I could definitely roll them out thinner and maybe make the bars themselves smaller to not only increase the yield but perhaps improve the texture.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking: