Getting in a yeast rut

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Getting in a yeast rut

Post by FedoraDave »

I do try to tailor my yeast choices depending on style, and my LHBS carries a decent variety of White Labs yeast, so I can use their Kölsch yeast for my kölsch, their San Francisco Lager Yeast for my Cali Common, etc.

The store also carries Mangrove Jack dry yeast and Safale/Saflager and Danstar dry yeasts, so I have some variety when I want to make a wheat or a saison. I especially like the Mangrove Jack M10 Workhorse. It's good in IPAs and Pale Ales. And therein lies my problem.

It's almost becoming my S-05, if you get my meaning. S-05 has something of a reputation as everyone's default, fall-back yeast. And I don't want that to happen to me. Granted, the dry yeast is cheaper than the liquid yeast, and I do a lot of IPAs and Pale Ales throughout my rotation, so the trend is understandable to a degree. But I wonder if I'm cheating myself and my beers by not investigating other yeasts, just to mix things up a little.

There's also the notion that if it works, there's no need to try to fix it, but I don't want to fall into the trap of the same ol' same ol'. Any suggestions for mixing it up a little?
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
Beer-lord

Re: Getting in a yeast rut

Post by Beer-lord »

I've been switching my 001 to 007 for a few ales and IPA's and like it. I mentioned that I used a mix of the 2 on a beer recently and while it might have been a bit dry, after a few weeks, it balanced out nicely.
I rarely use dry yeast anymore but like most craft breweries where I can be blindfolded and drink any of their beers and guess where it came from, my beers are the same way. They are all different, of course, but they have 'the mark of Paul' on them. This just means we're consistent in our brewing but changing things up like yeast can make a world of difference.

I've also been trying hops I've never used or rarely used before and have enjoyed that. Even my wife likes my beer with Nelson Sauvin in it so some good came from that.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

Yep, US-05 for ales and W-34/70 for largers are what most homebrewers lean on. It is that very reason I use a different lager strain. Lame reason. I know. Then again, there is a reason those strains are heavily used. Both are dependable and predictable.

Does White Labs have Wyeast American Ale II and Northwest Ale equivalents? I'm sure they do. Wyeast also has that Denny Con strain. Those might shake up a recipe or two.
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

I have used Lallemand's BRY-97 for recent Pales and IPA's with great results.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I have zero expertise on yeasts and have only used dry yeasts in my 3 1/2 years of homebrewing, and I read all about how different yeasts create different results - banana-like flavors, etc.

S-05 is a great yeast because it's clean. It doesn't impart any flavors - so the malt and hops get to shine through. I have used 5 yeasts ever. S-05 (amber, reds, brown, wheats), S-04 (red, stout), Nottingham (porter), Windsor (brown, White House Honey ale), and once W34/70 (Octoberfest). I have never done a side-by-side comparison, i.e. doing the lager with a S-05 also and see the difference, but probably should have. Then again, I'm trying to get a specific result - like a clone of Bell's Best Brown, and when it's great I haven't found a reason to change yeast and see if I can product 50 bottles that I don't like as much... :unsure:

I guess if I went through beer faster I'd be more open to experimenting like that, although I still don't think I'd try liquid yeast. I'd love to try a specific beer made with different yeasts to see the result, just not eager to do so myself at this point.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

Try some Danstar BRY-97,
or an English ale yeast like WLP013 London Ale Yeast.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448376210.902308.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448376210.902308.jpg (102.14 KiB) Viewed 1621 times
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I've been thinking about using some of the British yeasts in some of my beers. I've used BRY-97 and it was pretty clean. It's a good option.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I am primarily a dry yeast user. Its dependable and ready when I am. On the otherhand there are incredicble yeasts out there tailored to different styles and in that case ther are certIn beers that call for certain strains. I will not use a liquid strain simply to use a liquid strain. If I have something calling for an American Ale yeast I will not use a liquid over the dry....I have many times and it has not made a better beer for me. But for certain styles there is no substitute.

Try those Mangrove Jack English strains. The M07 I think it was is really clean and dry it is rummored to be the same strain as WLP007 which is what Stone uses. The other one is a good yeast for ESB/Bitters. And the have a dark Ale strain probably good for Porters, Stouts, Browns.

I have used and liked the Bry-97 even with hoppy beers. My go to's are defenately US-05, S-04, Bry-97. The Mangrove Bohemian Lager yeast made a wonderful Lager as well as it also very suitable for use as a Cream Ale/ Cali Common yeast.
Brew Strong My Friends...
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Wyeast London ESB (1968) which might be the same yeast as WLP002 is nice in just about anything too. Just a touch fruitier then American strains when fermented cool. Just enough of a difference to make things more interesting. Some micros use this as their house yeast.

WLP013/Wyeast 1028 (London Ale) as mentioned above is nice too, but it will give you more unusual estery flavors - smokey/oakey like stuff. I love it in British beers. I've actually not tried this one in an American pale. But it would certainly make it different.

I've used German Ale/Kolsch yeasts in American beers too and liked the results a lot. It's like making an "easy mode" IPL.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

If I have the time I'll make a starter and pitch White Labs WLP001 - California Ale Yeast™, if not I'll pitch Safale S-05 Dry Ale Yeast and never give it another thought. With that said if I can't get any White Labs WLP400 - Belgian Wit Ale Yeast™, then I will wait before brewing my Orange Sunshine Witbier. Same goes for White Labs WLP810 - San Francisco Lager Yeast™, I won't brew my California Steamin' Common unless I have some on hand. And as for White Labs WLP007 - Dry English Ale Yeast™ I use it in my Hazy Daze Dry Irish Stout but in my Wee Heavy I like to use White Labs WLP004 - Irish Ale Yeast™.

Looking back through my recipes I can't believe it's been over 3 years since I brewed my Oktoberfest/Marzen Lager, geezzz. I pitched a starter made from White Labs WLP820 - Oktoberfest/Märzen Lager Yeast™ the last time I brewed a batch. If I really felt like I had to brew for whatever reason, I would use a dry yeast that matched the style I was planning to brew though.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Psssttt... Dave... Hey, Dave...

Shhhh...... :unsure:

:idea: Try some Belgian strains!

Danstar Abbaye (dry)

WY 3522 Ardennes (liquid)

Heck, even Safebrew T-58 (dry) can change things up...

:cool:
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

mashani wrote:Wyeast London ESB (1968) which might be the same yeast as WLP002 is nice in just about anything too. Just a touch fruitier then American strains when fermented cool. Just enough of a difference to make things more interesting. Some micros use this as their house yeast.

WLP013/Wyeast 1028 (London Ale) as mentioned above is nice too, but it will give you more unusual estery flavors - smokey/oakey like stuff. I love it in British beers. I've actually not tried this one in an American pale. But it would certainly make it different.

I've used German Ale/Kolsch yeasts in American beers too and liked the results a lot. It's like making an "easy mode" IPL.
I love the 1968 to the point I'm sure I bored the folks over at MBF talking about it.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Thanks for the responses! Certainly something to think about as I return to certain recipes. I do use WLP001 in FedoraDave's American Ale, and I use White Labs' Kölsch yeast in my White Panama, which is a blonde ale. I like how it finishes. But I noticed that a lot of my recent recent recipes were using the M10, and I might try some other strains to see if I like them better, or just to make them different.

I don't necessarily favor liquid yeast over dry, or vice versa. They all work well; I just know that the yeast does influence the final product, and I didn't want to get into that rut, especially if something as simple as using a different strain will give a different profile to one of my recipes.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch
MrBandGuy
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by MrBandGuy »

I've been playing with yeast choice a bit myself. These guys have a lot more info to share than I do, and I still awaiting a couple results.

I am a default 05 guy, as I've been happy with the results. I have a Scotch Ale on now, though, that used Wyeast Scottish Ale and that made a huge difference. That prompted me to mix up my Christmas ale, which usually uses S-04. I opted to try out Denny's favorite for that. It should go on tap this weekend, so results are TBD. I also just kegged an English bitter that used 04 before, but replaced it with White Labs 005.

This summer, to mix up a recipe, I did an American wheat with Belgian yeast to tasty results.

So, like you, Dave, I'm trying some things to learn the differences. Two yeasts that intrigue me are the Northwest Ale yeast from Wyeast and the Austrailian Ale yeast WLP009. I'm curious what differences they may bring to the party. And, as we discussed in the RCE, it'll be my first use of the Mangrove M10.
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

On Sunday I brewed up an IPA started with US-05 yeast, waited for a day till I saw about an inch of krausen on top, then pitched in some Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity yeast. I will finish this with some Citra & Columbus hops in a dry hop when it is close to FG (probably this weekend).
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel